Do any of you DJ as well as play solo/duo/band

deanmass

• Members

The reason I ask is, I did years ago. I got into DJing due to the difficulty of keeping a stable band going, and it took off. And yes, I have considered that part if the difficulty might be me. Now, getting back into playing, I have already been asked if I DJ, which is my mind is like being asked " can I give you some money". I find myself saying, yes, I do that as well...

Anyone else?

• Members

Yes. I played in bands from the late 60s through the late 80s. Started a solo act in the late 80s which I still do, and started DJing in 2005. My top pay per night has been as a DJ doing weddings. The lowest pay has been as a solo act playing for the door. I get the most enjoyment playing with the right musicians, but I've always wanted to make a living playing music.

• Members

The reason I ask is, I did years ago. I got into DJing due to the difficulty of keeping a stable band going, and it took off. And yes, I have considered that part if the difficulty might be me. Now, getting back into playing, I have already been asked if I DJ, which is my mind is like being asked " can I give you some money". I find myself saying, yes, I do that as well...

Anyone else?

I am in the same boat as you. Tired of spending thousands of dollars in travel expense and equipment to do 3 shows with "douche bags" you can't agree with or compromise for solid working band success. So went to the DJ side, sure do make a lot more money, and I don't have to worry about the work geting done because it's done myself. I've been approached to do fill in work, but I look at it this way. DJ rates are 100/hour. Live band: 2 practices, 8 hours of my time down the drain. Then I get, what, a whole 100 bucks for another 6 to 8 hours for a gig and I'm dead from drumming. Same show as a DJ I would have came home with 400.00 (minus bar tab). Oh and my ears are not ringing from a 130 db fender amp in my ear all night either.

• Members

I am in the same boat as you. Tired of spending thousands of dollars in travel expense and equipment to do 3 shows with "douche bags" you can't agree with or compromise for solid working band success. So went to the DJ side, sure do make a lot more money, and I don't have to worry about the work geting done because it's done myself. I've been approached to do fill in work, but I look at it this way. DJ rates are 100/hour. Live band: 2 practices, 8 hours of my time down the drain. Then I get, what, a whole 100 bucks for another 6 to 8 hours for a gig and I'm dead from drumming. Same show as a DJ I would have came home with 400.00 (minus bar tab). Oh and my ears are not ringing from a 130 db fender amp in my ear all night either.

Jesus....I could have written this quote myself. Get out of my brain!

This is just it. I am 1.5 years into 'trying to get a band back together'. With travel, I am dumping 8 -12 hours a week into it. Yet to gig. Did a solo show last week and already have 2 other offers to solo, plus the 'do you DJ as well question. I already have all my old music (which as most DJ's know, the classic stuff is still the staple for the first 1-2 hours) and PA. I just need a new light rig, and ready to go. It's hard to say no. I need the cash, and I love playing in a band, the 130 DB amp, the no agreement on tunes, the practice issues, SMOKE break s of 15 minutes x2 in a 3 hour practice BUT no time to listen to or work through vocal harmonies, etc. I am giving it till the end of the month, then punting.

• Members

Like the other replies, I played in bands in the '90s, worked as a solo act in the early 2000s and then got into DJing. A friend's brother was getting married so she tapped me to DJ the reception since I had a ton of music and the PA/lighting gear. The gig was a blast and I've been DJing ever since, though I've often wanted to get back to being in a band. Just tough to find the right people and get past the low pay.

I'd make even more if I did my own DJ bookings rather than working for a multi-op since most companies around here charge $1200+ per event. I know wedding bands make and charge way more than that but I think I make pretty good money showing up, setting up my own gear, and doing the gig without the hassle of meetings, rehearsals, etc.

• Members

I've definitely thought about it lately. My duo offers some limited DJ work as an extra service.

Seems like you'd need thousands and thousands of dollars in music to be able to do it effectively, plus more equipment than my solo setup, then paying ASCAP fees and what not.

The karaoke DJ thing seems like an easy deal, too.

Archived