OT: The Boy Leaves Today

Potts

• Members

Thank him for his service and thank you and your family for your selflessness.

The Army has offered my son a full scholarship if he'll agree to give them 4 years in return. I wish it were the AF because that's where I served but I'm extremely proud, none the less.

• Members

It takes a strong soul to be willing to do what our armed forces do, and beyond that, our country wouldn't be anywhere near where it is today if we didn't always have such brave people willing to fight to keep our country great. I'll be hoping and praying for courage and safety for your son first and foremost but also peace of mind for all friends and family. You should be a proud man. Major thanks to you and your son.

• Members

It takes a strong soul to be willing to do what our armed forces do, and beyond that, our country wouldn't be anywhere near where it is today if we didn't always have such brave people willing to fight to keep our country great. I'll be hoping and praying for courage and safety for your son first and foremost but also peace of mind for all friends and family. You should be a proud man. Major thanks to you and your son.

Thank you so much! It's overwhelming to log in here and see so many thoughtful comments.

• Members

Yeah he's going to Bagram...to be honest if he has to go anywhere that would be the place I'd choose.

There are worse places to go. http://www.bagram.afcent.af.mil/ Just for context, I retired from the Air Force last year after 24 years. I'm thinking about doing a tour as a civilian maybe to Qatar or Al Udeid if I get the chance. If he has time, and you are ok with it, have him send some pic's home and post them here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

so did he get there safe?

Thanks for asking pal! :):):)

I was just going to post an update. He's there and he's in this general neighborhood. He's a comm guy and although he cant tell me what he's doing he has internet access while he works overnights. I've "talked" with him on facebook a handful of times already since he left. I still worry of course but I'm confident that he was trained well. He of course acts like it's no big deal and said he has no problems being there. Thanks again for asking!

Bagram-air-field.jpg

• Members

Thanks for asking pal!
:):):)

I was just going to post an update. He's there and he's in this general neighborhood. He's a comm guy and although he cant tell me what he's doing he has internet access while he works overnights. I've "talked" with him on facebook a handful of times already since he left. I still worry of course but I'm confident that he was trained well. He of course acts like it's no big deal and said he has no problems being there. Thanks again for asking!

Bagram-air-field.jpg

stunning view he has got there. his time will go quickly, and he'll be home before you know it. Wish him God's speed.

• Members

Mojo to him and your family. If you don't get soft hearted about stuff like this, you ain't a parent. Look forward to the day you greet him when he returns. In the meantime, write and record. This is powerful time for all of you. Capture some of it.

Thanks man. I get pretty emotional at times. Not just for my son but for all these kids over there. I'm tending college now and I'm. Part of the "Veterans Group". I'm the old guy and my heart breaks for these kids. Some of them are 20-21 years old and have been through {censored} that I would never wish on anyone.

My bud was telling me that he sleeps bout 2 hours a night because he gets startled by everything- the dog, traffic, the furnace going on and all other kinds of {censored}. He said he thinks it stemmed from an explosion he was near that scared the {censored} out of him. He's 25 years old and just too young for that.

• Members

Didn't know you'd served, Pottsy, or that your son was in the Military.

Big respect to you both.

I can't imagine how you and your family are feeling watching him go to that Godforsaken hole.

Funny, we played a gig on 5th September at Catterick Garrison in the UK, a cocktail evening in the Officer's Mess.

They all were going to Afghanistan two weeks later.

We enjoyed the gig, but knowing where they were all going sure brought us down to earth and put things into perspective.

Stay positive and proud, Potts.

All will be well.

• Members

Best wishes for his safe return. I appreciate your family's service; thank you.

Our bagpipe band leaves Wed. morning for Washington DC to play for the 66th reunion of the First Special Service Force Assoc. (WWII guys - the "Black Devils"). We'll play at the WWII Memorial, Arlington, the Canadian Embassy, and a couple of other events. I'll think of him while we're there. Mark C.

• Members

Best wishes for his safe return. I appreciate your family's service; thank you.

Our bagpipe band leaves Wed. morning for Washington DC to play for the 66th reunion of the First Special Service Force Assoc. (WWII guys - the "Black Devils"). We'll play at the WWII Memorial, Arlington, the Canadian Embassy, and a couple of other events. I'll think of him while we're there. Mark C.

Thank you and you're welcome! I'd bawl if I were there when you do your gig in Washington. Although I know my boy is safe for now, I have a very hard time discussing his absence right now.

• Members

Nice picture! I just came across this thread. All my best thoughts and prayers to you both and the rest of your family! My son is only 11, and I sometimes get choked up just watching him walk away from me into school in the morning, so I can only just barely imagine how you must feel. But hang in there and feel proud. He'll be home before you know it!

Louis

Archived