is there a windows app that scrolls lyrics and plays backing tracks?

doezer

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by nousername View Post
About these apps. Are you guys creating the files that the apps use, or something else?

Most of the chord/lyric sheets I've made for myself in the past -- for the fewer times I play guitar these days -- were already in Word, taken from our pianist's original scores. My app experiments have worked with basic conversions: Word to PDF, or Word to PDF to JPG, for MobilSheets. Word to plaintext for examination in Songbook, Lyric Pad, and Chordinator. Editing on a desktop or laptop machine, transfer to the tablet with a USB connection (piece o' cake).

Each of the plaintext-focused apps display files sllightly differently, though, so I wanted to spend some upfront time deciding which renders best for my purposes. The verdict is still out, although I did just spend about an hour tweaking a specific song... and it looks pretty good in Songbook, OK in Chordinator, not so good in Lyric Pad. That's not a critique in this case, just a recognition that the Lyric Pad control syntax is different from the Chordpro syntax that Songbook understands.

Commentary on tabs and chords sheets from the net: boatloads out there, mostly underwhelming. Compared to the sheet music, chords may or may not be as in the original (even allowing for transpositions). And it's not always obvious when arrangments have been layed out or modified to suit a specific musician/group/tabber/whatever... For example, I didn't find a tab on-line that exactly corresponds to the test song I've been using...

-D44

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Potts View Post
Good stuff D44!

My wishlist for songbook is pretty simple. I'd like to see the title of the "next" song in my playlist on the same screen as the current song. I'd also like the scrolling to start when the backing track starts. That's about it though.

Lyric Pad implements a nifty "sidebar" feature. Imagine a short list of (repetitive) verse chords always displayed on the upper right side of the page, even while the lyrics scrolls...

-D44

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by dboomer View Post
Hey D

I only use it for lyrics and haven't run into any problems. What are you seeing?

Can't speak for Potts, but I've been asked several times since download/installation over the last three days to "please license in Google Play" -- although I sorta kinda thought buying it through the Play store would have taken care of all that. I queried the developer about it...

I was beginning to think it might have to do with starting the app while not connected to WiFi, but I intentionally tested that this morning -- and didn't get the "please license..." message anyway. (Not working while not connected to the 'net would make it completely unusable for my purposes, though, so that's why I jumped on that right away.)

Otherwise (and not counting some nifty things I could imagine being built into future iterations...) I haven't discovered anything but operator error smile.gif

-D44

• Members

The beauty of these apps is that they are so inexpensive you can download a few and see which you get on best with. Onsong for me was simply the best of the bunch and the simplest to use. That's not to say that as each of us have different needs others apps may be better for them.
As for scrolling, whilst I am learning a song (I have a set called learning) I have all the lyrics including the chorus and pre choruses plus chords plus notes (which you can add as a digital post it). However once learned and ready to gig, I remove all but one chorus and all the chords except from the first line. This enables me in 99% of the songs to fit the screen without scrolling and to be fair, if I know the song well enough to gig a quick glance at the first line is enough of a reminder to see me through. I mainly use it as an easily manageable set list and my notes such as where to place a capo, or which preset on my voicelive to use etc. I even put the odd one liner on the post it, which I may or may not use depending on how the show is going. Oh and of course starting the BTs if associated with the song which just takes one touch of the screen.
Cheers Steve

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by dboomer View Post
Hey D
I only use it for lyrics and haven't run into any problems. What are you seeing?
Creating a new setlist.

I create a new setlist called "Mellow" or something and it will create that list but rename the setlist directly below it "Mellow" as well.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I need some advice here.

My goal is to have some BT with Lyrics along side. I don't need them scrolling. I bought an Ipad mini2 (7.9" screen) just to run Stage Traxx by Peter Dikant. Its a good app....but the small screen and where to place are issues. Because of my eyes..I need the ipad on the floor..but if its on the floor I have to stoop everytime to make a change. Because I already own 2 Fujitsu Lifebooks (T4220) I am wondering has anyone made an app for the PC thats does what I need? If so,I could return the VERY expensive ipad mini2 and go with what I already own (and it has a nice large screen!). Any suggestions?

PS: it must play BTs and allow instant access to picking a BT with its lyrics in one poke.

• Members

George, I definitely know where your coming from especially as my missus has a Nexus android tablet and it is streets ahead of the ipad. However I think that Onsong really is that good and that's why I bit the Apple! Maybe you could buy a secondhand ipad just for that purpose I think even a second generation one would do it and you can get them from ebay "cheap as chIps". All the best

Archived