Zero Visual Aids

joshmac

• Members

hey y'all, it seems like most people here are performing with some form of lyric sheets, whether it be electronic or in the trusty binder form.

I am wondering which of you use no cheat sheets while playing. personally, i see the benefits to a master lyric binder, but i find i rely on it too much when i use one so i tend to leave it at home. normally i get up there sans binder or ipad and sing what i know. i have hundreds of songs up there in my brain, and whenever im adding new ones i just bring single cheat sheet, maybe with reminders of which words start which verses. i do most of my learning at home i find and then bring it to my weekly gigs when its ready.

withou getting into the musicstand debate, could you all let me know why you prefer to bring nothing, or perhaps why you prefer to have a master lyric collection at your fingertips.

• Members

joshmac wrote:

withou getting into the musicstand debate, could you all let me know why you prefer to bring nothing, or perhaps why you prefer to have a master lyric collection at your fingertips.

For me it's two fold. If I didn't have my ipad I wouldn't remember the songs I do-- not the lyrics- the actual songs. A small part of my show includes backing tracks so I use the ipad.

• Members

Like Potts, I would struggle to remember the songs, I create a set list for every event I do, I may flip passed a couple if I am not in the mood or feel the crowd are going in a different direction, but it is sooo much easier just to press a pedal and there is the next song waiting for me. If it has a BT, then another press of a pedal and it starts.

At the top of each song is information like if needed where the capo is going or what key harp I am using, what GTX preset is needed etc. I also add notes to myself about funny lines to say in relation to either the song or a news story that I may or may not use but, there if necessary. Also any shoutouts that the management want me to do ie next Tuesday is half price steak night.

Finally the lyrics and chords, hardly ever look at them, frequently go the night and don't press the scroll pedal once so it just stays on the first couple of lines, but if its a new song or one I haven't played in a while, usually a glance at the first line is enough.

Having said that I have a couple of songs I regularly do that for the life of me I can't get the somewhat complicated lyrics in my old befuddled brain and so a quick glance gets me back on track.

I am confident that if the ipad failed I would cope without but for the small cost why turn it into a memory test. I am confident that the audience are unaware that the iPad is even there.

Using a binder on a music stand however, no never have, never would, just too much of a barrier between me and the front row.

Cheers Steve

• Members

I like the collection at my fingertips; don't need it for most songs, but having it allows me 1) to play those complicated or wordy songs that get requested only once in a blue moon; 2) to play a new song right away, without having to commit it to memory; and 3) to have flexibility in duo and trio lineups -- subs can come in and be able to follow the charts.   

It's a slight barrier between me and the audience, but the benefits outweigh the negatives, IMO.  I use Showplay and also use it to run my GTX and lights.

• Members

I could perform all night without lyrics, but I'd have to stick to the songs that are memorized. I've done some songs so many times that I'd never forget the lyrics, or so I thought

What if someone requests a song that you haven't done in a while? I couldn't remember the first line of the first verse of Cheeseburger in paradise. All I could think of was the 2nd verse! If just the word "carnivorous" were given to me as a cue, the rest would come back to me immediately. But that's one song I assumed I didn't need the lyric sheet to.

For most solo acts, part of the job is doing requests. Maybe even songs that you don't normally do. Playing a concert would be the time to nix the lyric sheets, and it would be nice if they weren't needed at a bar gig. But with hundreds of songs (some that I haven't done in years) electronic cheat sheets are very helpful.

• Members

joshmac wrote:

hey y'all, it seems like most people here are performing with some form of lyric sheets, whether it be electronic or in the trusty binder form.

I am wondering which of you use no cheat sheets while playing. personally, i see the benefits to a master lyric binder, but i find i rely on it too much when i use one so i tend to leave it at home. normally i get up there sans binder or ipad and sing what i know. i have hundreds of songs up there in my brain, and whenever im adding new ones i just bring single cheat sheet, maybe with reminders of which words start which verses. i do most of my learning at home i find and then bring it to my weekly gigs when its ready.

Never have used 'em...all songs are memorized and rarely even use a set-list. If I can't remember the exact words on a request I just improvise...rarely does anyone mind.

Besides, at 56 years young, I can't see the lyrics unless it's written on poster-board!

Archived