.....Aaaaaaand another one bites the dust...

BlueStrat

• Members

Dang, just got off the phone with a place I've played for a year now. I have been calling to book Jan-Feb-March and the guy wouldn't return my calls, or my emails or FB messages. I finally messaged him and asked him if he was pissed at me, and he called me. He said he has been wrestling for the last two weeks with whether to continue live music or not, and decided yesterday to pull the plug. It's a great restaurant, great food, nice atmosphere, nice sounding room. But he's a bit off the beaten path and has a specific clientele, most of whom just don't seem to care about live music. Lots of times, they'll see me set up, and want to move to the back of the room before I ever played a note. I have never been asked to turn down there, but the owner said he got tired of people bitching before the music even started.

But beyond that, he didn't see any value added by having it.  People don't come to restaurants to hear the music, they come for the food and atmosphere,  The music is ambience, an amenity provided to create an enhanced dining experience. It just wasn't working that way for him.The sad part is, I know it's because some of the other solo artists in town aren't "restaurant friendly"; that is, they play like they're in a tavern. They're strummers and beaters, not finger pickers, and play a lot of 80-s and 90s rock songs, or they play with full band backing tracks. It's fine for bars, not so much for fine dining restaurants. 

Our area is still in a recession, especially in winter. Fall is generally a spike in business as people move in from the lakes and woods and hang out indoors, but the boost in crowds and sales that traditionally happen between Labor Day and New Year's just haven't materialized this year. This was my favorite place to play, and it's the second one in three weeks that has decided to cease live music. Looks like my plan to phase out of my day job just got a setback.  

• Members

Sorry to hear your gig turned to dust.

I think I've told the story of something similar happening to me. I played this lounge that had just started with music. The management wanted me and two other guys to play there, because we suited the room. However the agent kept putting in all these acts "just to see if they'll work". Eventually the lounge got so tired of the wrong guys (not bad, just wrong) that they cancelled all the music.

So now, whenever I have all the work I can handle, I don't complain because sooner rather than later, some room is going to go down. It just hurts when you figure that it didn't have to happen.

• Members

Maybe you could use this story as a selling point with other restaurants. You're the fine dining expert that enhances the atmosphere rather than ruining it (like the tavern players). I guess it depends. I've been to (and worked) nice restaurants that were geared toward dancing too.

• Members

Bob Dey wrote:

Maybe you could use this story as a selling point with other restaurants. You're the fine dining expert that enhances the atmosphere rather than ruining it (like the tavern players). I guess it depends. I've been to (and worked) nice restaurants that were geared toward dancing too.

Yes, we have one of those, one of the nicest in town. It has an upper level and a lower level; the lower has solos on weeknights and bands on weekends. I sometimes play weekends there with a trio or 4 piece. But my regular Sunday gig there is upstairs (downstairs is closed Sunday and Monday) in a corner near the sofa lounge by the bar, and it's really chill. Unfortunately, some of the guys who play the stage downstairs there don't realize that other places are different. My general rule is, if it doesn't have a stage or a dance floor, and I'm sitting two feet from tables, I keep it really laid back unless I'm told otherwise. One should be able to tell that when a couple is sitting eating a 30 dollar steak dinner and a 50 dollar bottle of vino, they didn't come there to hear your acoustic version of "Gimme 3 Steps" or "Dead or Alive" and if they have to lean across the table to talk, you're too loud. 

Archived