COMPRESSORS: RNC or ART Pro VLA ?

• Members

Hello everyone,

I've been looking for the best all around compressor $500 can buy for my home studio for use with an AKAI DPS16.

After 2 weeks reading about several compressors in the market and getting opinions from several people here at the Recording Forum, i believe it came down to these 2:

1) 2 x FMR RNCs (rack mounted) for $320

or

2) 1 ART PRO VLA for about the same.

Now I'm trying to get as much feedback as can between these 2. Unfortunately no music store in my area carries either so I cannot A/B them. All your opinions are very welcome.

Thanks in advance

• Members

I just realized you teach in the hotel school! I was the TA for Jack Corgel and Jan deRoos last semester

I'm a grad student and as you know do not have enough time to spare to play in a band :( . But I am putting together a small home studio and whenever I have a few minutes to spare I'm usually there :)

• Members

Originally posted by nickdahl

Not much...just cold. Sorry to hear that it's snowing up there. Hope things clear up by the weekend. My brother-in-law is coming into town and we were planning a trip to Syracuse. Wonder what the weather's like there?

Nick

The gf's in Syracuse - she says it's been really nasty. I think Rochester and east had upwards of a foot or more yesterday.

While you're up there, the MOST is playing some movie about underwater volcanoes in the IMAX theater; I've heard it's really good. :)

-Dan.

• Members
  • Members

Sorry Leadfoot but DBX isn't "the standard" of compressors at all. They are well known and make acceptable compressors but nothing that they make is considered "top notch". If he went out and got a good used DBX 160UT compressor then he'd be doing ok but that one is still nothing special. The RNC 1773 compressor is better than all of the DBX units you linked and that is not my opinion but the opinon of tracking and mixing engineers who's work and opinions I respect. If you want, take a look at a place that sells noting but the best to studios who have essentially no budget - Mercenary Audio. Take a look at their compressors page: Mercenary Audio As you see they sell plenty of compressors and they are all well over $1000 to begin with and most are near the $3000 mark but they carry the RNC 1773 compressor at a lowly $175 and not as their sole "budget" model, but because it truly competes with units that are ten times it's price.

So again, get the RNC compressor and call it done.

• Members

Well said Mr. Fury :D

I guess I will go ahead and go for the RNC. The only thing bad thing is that to have it Rack Mounted you will need 2 RNCs....

But hey, for about $320, I would definitely go for it...

Thanks everyone....

• Members

Originally posted by crgoda

Well said Mr. Fury
:D

I guess I will go ahead and go for the RNC. The only thing bad thing is that to have it Rack Mounted you will need 2 RNCs....

But hey, for about $320, I would definitely go for it...

Thanks everyone....

That's not true. You can either get the Funk Logic NCC-1701 or a standard 1U rack utility shelf. The NCC-1701 can hold 2 RNCs (but you don't have to fill both sides); a utility shelf can hold three 1/3 width units. The RNC is 1/3 width and has the proper screw holes in the bottom for mounting to the utility shelf.

Why would you buy a compressor that doesn't even have a gate, or a limiter? What a waste. Go ahead, and buy it then..

Why do you need a limiter on a guitar amp? Amp distortion compresses the sound a lot already. Clean tone dynamics are easily tames with just a little bit of compression. I wouldn't really worry about clipping on any of your guitar gear.

-Dan.

• Members

Why get a compressor that doesn't have a limiter or a gate? Because high performance gear is dedicated to one use. You don't get super combo gear at the high end level. If you want a compressor, you get a compressor. If you want a gate, you get a gate. We are talking about studio quality gear here and not cheap "affordable" stuff aimed at guitarists.

This goes along with the "You paid how much for a single channel guitar amp, (we'll say $2000 for a mint Plexi and I don't even want to talk about $15,000 for a Dumble) and it doesn't have effects built on? I only paid $500 for my Line 6 combo and it's all these tones and effects ... man you got ripped off!" line of thinking.

• Members

Originally posted by Flat Fifth Fury

Why get a compressor that doesn't have a limiter or a gate? Because high performance gear is dedicated to one use. You don't get super combo gear at the high end level. If you want a compressor, you get a compressor. If you want a gate, you get a gate. We are talking about studio quality gear here and not cheap "affordable" stuff aimed at guitarists.

This goes along with the "You paid how much for a single channel guitar amp, (we'll say $2000 for a mint Plexi and I don't even want to talk about $15,000 for a Dumble) and it doesn't have effects built on? I only paid $500 for my Line 6 combo and it's all these tones and effects ... man you got ripped off!" line of thinking.

Please... Compressor, Limiter, Gate, all go together...

I have 6 Compressors/Limiters, not including the ones' on my Masterlink. Ask me if I know what I'm talking about.

But really, I coulld care less. Because I'm happy with my studio, and you won't find any 1/3 rack space, 1 trick pony compressors in it.

I just thought I would sugest something that you can use for more than 1 thing.

BTW, Plexis are 1 trick pony amps too. I'll keep my Triaxis, so I don't have to keep dumping money into it for the next "in" mod...

Ciao babe...

• Members

GET THE RNC!!!

The RNC is an amazing value. The only reason mine isn't in my guitar rig right now is that I use it so much in my studio. I really need to get a couple more. Under $500 it really can't be beat unless you plan on building it yourself.

Also it's very small and could easily fit on a pedal drawer.

As far as not having a limiter. You can set it up as a limiter if you need one, although I don't know why you would want to.

As far as not having a gate. I personally have never needed/wanted a gate in my rig, but if you want a gate get a good dedicated gate. I find the gates built into compressors are usually almost useless.

Archived