Do you like hearing your own voice?

Howie22

• Members

I've recently done my vocals for a 5-song EP. First time I could ever stand hearing myself. Live, I always hate watching the videotapes afterwards.

Did the engineer use Autotune/Melodyne, or was it just the difference of recording in a relaxed studio environment with high quality mics?

I actually don't mind the overall tone and sound of my voice, it's just that I hear the imperfections.

• Members

I like the sound of my voice on finished recordings which are well done -- other than that no. In particularly voiceover work. I'm getting used to it but for a time the sound of my ads was unbearable. In the past I did some radio ads for stations I listen to and had to turn them off during the day until the run was over because it just irked me.

Irrational I know... Nature must have built in a dislike for our own voices for a purpose. :)

• Members

I don't care for my tone very much, especially when I hear my recorded voice. I sound OK live, especially if I'm well rested and in "good voice". Some nights my voice is right on, other times I sing out of key a bit. That makes for a long night for me as well as the audience.

Nothing are perfect.

Mike T.

• Members

I don't care for my tone very much, especially when I hear my recorded voice. I sound OK live, especially if I'm well rested and in "good voice". Some nights my voice is right on, other times I sing out of key a bit. That makes for a long night for me as well as the audience.

Nothing are perfect.

Mike T.

you dont like your singing but are willing to expose other people to it ,as long as you dont have to hear it? Thats cruel and selfish.

I dont like being mean but sometimes someone has to be the prick

• Members

I'm not sure what you mean by "lock my jaw".
:idk:

My mouth is opening and closing, my jaw is moving so...
:confused:

Now Peter Cetera... THERE'S a guy with some lock-jaw.
:facepalm:

jaw hung open loose,not clenched open like you are at the dentist ,I think the word was "fall' or something you were doing that on. You sing better than me so who am I to tell you.

• Members

I hate the sound of my voice, but I've worked hard to desensitize myself by regularly recording and listening back to myself:) Now, it's not so bad, but it's taken a while.

The fact is most people do not like the sound of their own voice--though some here express greater dismay at their speaking voice, the bottom line is that most of us are, well, repulsed when we encounter recordings of ourselves.

It was always paradoxical to me that my recorded voice is what I really sound like and yet others don't hear it the way I do and routinely say I'm better than I believe myself to be. How could my experience be both more accurate and less accurate at the same time?

Then I discovered the answer: I sound bad because I inevitably compare my recorded voice to the sound in my head, where internal bone resonance makes the sound richer. Because other people can't hear the sound inside my head, they don't have this comparison interfering with their judgment. Hence they don't have to deal with the immense drop-off in resonance that the singer himself has to deal with.

So, because we are burdened with the comparison to internal resonance, we will always to some degree hear ourselves as worse than we actually are--even as we hear ourselves as we actually are. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Then I discovered the answer: I sound bad because I inevitably compare my recorded voice to the sound in my head, where internal bone resonance makes the sound richer. Because other people can't hear the sound inside my head, they don't have this comparison interfering with their judgment. Hence they don't have to deal with the immense drop-off in resonance that the singer himself has to deal with.

So, because we are burdened with the comparison to internal resonance, we will always to some degree hear ourselves as worse than we actually are--even as we hear ourselves as we actually are.
;)

Exactly. It's just like hearing your voice on a raw track as opposed to slapping some reverb and EQ on it.

I used to HATE how my recorded voice sounded. Now that I can sing better and have gotten used to it, I am very happy with how it sounds~~So long as it's properly EQ'd. However, I recently recorded a song for another writer who thought it best to completely overprocess the vocals. I absolutely hate that recording.

Archived