What do I need for a beginner rack?

• Members

a rockmaster troll, back in town? anyways...

the furman stuff that hovers in the 150 range is typical, pl-plus is fine. if you don't want to blow money on a rack tuner, no problem, most have 'em so you may want it eventually, but if you eliminate that space, then you have (as you proposed)...

(1) furman power

(1) triaxis

(1) g-force

(2) vht 2:90:2

...5 spaces of equipment, so get a 6 space rack and forget it (leave a gap above the power amp for venting). One rack, and like sp_... said, chop it all in half with some ebay patience for clean items. I myself always prefer to buy new, usually because I don't buy the gear unless I'm pretty sure I'm keeping it (or the resale value is strong, not the case with most of the stuff listed above).

$200 in misc was a crap number, just figured eh... $15 for a midi cable from floor to rack triaxis, another $5 midi cable from triaxis to g-force, patch cable (1 or 2?) from triaxis to g-force, 2 cables from g-force to vht power amp, 2 speaker cables from vht to cab(s), and if you make a patch bay for your cables and mount it in the back of the rack, the cost of doing that, could run up a bit is all, just taking this from a "everything to buy" standpoint.

So you need a midi footcontroller. Any expression pedals for speeding up or slowing down effects rates on the g-force? ie: phasers, vibes, etc., real simple, ie: ernie ball volume pedal = another $100, and a stereo y-cable to plug that into the midi controller. i'm just using max figures, anyways.

i think you're getting a nice rig drawn up here, now what?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ah, Mr Ten, you have a VH4. I was seriously considering getting one, but decided to go the rack route. I figure I can get a great rack for what the VH4 is. I know it is a great amp, but I can't see spending over 4k on one piece of equipment. Now 5+k on five or six pieces of equipment, that's a different story...;) . I don't know what is left, I forgot about an expression pedal. I want to get a nice one... the only one I have used was a friend's Boss expression pedal that felt really cheap. So add on the Music Man, and I would like a wah at one point, is there some sort of effects loop for one pedal on the G-Force... doesn't seem reasonable to get a GCX (or whatever it's called) for one pedal. I think what we have proposed would be great. So what we are looking at, just the rack, no pedals or anything, is:

(not like it would be in the rack...I havn't figured that out yet)

Mesa Triaxis

VHT 2/90/2

G-Force

PL-Plus

Korg Tuner, I will probably go ahead and get the cheaper one that is around 150? I believe, unless there is reason to spend another $110 on the more expensive one

So, I think that should have me covered as far as what goes in the rack to start off. Now for the case...does it make a difference if I bought a case a few spaces bigger than I currently need to leave room for a GCX or something I may opt to use later? 6 spaces used, including the tuner, so leave a blank for ventilation and a spare to expand, and that is an 8-space. How large is an average 8-space rack? And also, which rack to get?

Now the other question, with the VHT, can I run the whole setup into one cab? I know it is a stereo power amp, but can I run the two signals together into one cab? I was thinking about using it with either one or two G-flex 2x12s. Good? Will this blow the speakers? The VHT is 90 watts per side, and the cab is 75 watts per side, so to use just one cab, I would need to use the VHT on low power, which drops it to about 60 watts per side. I would need to use two cabs to run at full power, which is no problem.

Thanks! Eventually I will get this great set-up. I will probably have to order it online though...no local dealer.

• Members

Malcom, keep in mind that the Diezel is a head so it's a preamp and poweramp, two units by rack standards. Also, all the great effects you can buy won't matter if your amp sounds bland on its own. Also remember not to neglect your guitar and your speaker cabs. Its always a shame to see someone with great gear getting it ruined by a bad cab. I recommend cabs with heavier wood like Mesas, but I hate the stock speakers (vintage 30s). You can order them with Greenbacks though, which sound amazing for many amps. Apparently VHT cabs are very nice too but I've never played one. Framus sound great as well.

Spaceboy, the purpose of a rackmount head is pretty much the purpose of a rackmount preamp and poweramp. Sure you can't swap them but if you love the sound of a Mark IV or something and definitely want one why not still go for the convenience of having it all hooked up to your loops and midi switchers. If I had to set up three loop cables and 4 switching cables, in addition to speaker cables, every time I set up my amp it'd take way too long. If I did own a regular head I'd probably invest in a case that holds a head under a rack, like what Petrucci has, except one small enough to not have its own gravitational pull.

• Members

you can use a single side on the vht but you want to use the sides evenly to even up the tube wear. no gcx needed, but axess (and others) make small loopers for pedals if you wish, hence, my shelves. the genz benz cabs can handle the vht, no prob. the new series korg tuners are 200 cheap and 250 large, the more expensive one having foo foo features. the gforce has no loops, simple 2 in, 2 out, midi in, thru, that's it.

...will talk more later, friends on way to go drink green booze... ;)

• Members

Originally posted by Mr Ten

you can use a single side on the vht but you want to use the sides evenly to even up the tube wear.

...will talk more later, friends on way to go drink green booze...
;)

Haha, excellent. Well, I think thanks to the generous help of Mr Ten and others, I have decided on a rig. Now to do some more research and ultimately buy!

• Members

Originally posted by Ted Copulate

Malcom, keep in mind that the Diezel is a head so it's a preamp and poweramp, two units by rack standards. Also, all the great effects you can buy won't matter if your amp sounds bland on its own. Also remember not to neglect your guitar and your speaker cabs.

Yeah, I know it is a pre-and power amp, but I guess I am a little wierd and don't want to spend that much on something from a small company like that. If it ever broke I would have to ship it to California! That can get pricey.

I have a Les Paul, so I don't think I am skimping on the guitar. Also, the G-Flex is supposed to be a great cab, but I will look into the VHT as well.

• Members

I haven't played vht cabs so no comment there, same with genz benz but only hear great things there as well. If you're going the triaxis route, have you played mesa 2x12's? My experience with them was super positive, they are big/heavy but sound great, lots of bottom end too.

I agree with the vh-4 comment, it is one of the best amps out there, IMO, and does offer lifetime service for me, but they're not backed by big response and money like marshall or mesa. Plus you'll have an easier time separating and selling your rack items than a vh-4. Anyways...

so what have you decided, size wise, pedals on the floor and what are they? paint a final picture. not sure why i responded so heavily to this thread, usually don't, but feels good to do it. anyways, keep us posted.

• Members

Originally posted by WonderMalcolm

And also, which rack to get?

i hate to go on about ebay, but all the shock rack cases areabout as good as each other really (SKB, ABS, Gator, Westfield etc.) so you may as well just look on ebay/online store and get whatever looks suitable for the best price

Now the other question, with the VHT, can I run the whole setup into one cab? I know it is a stereo power amp, but can I run the two signals together into one cab? I was thinking about using it with either one or two G-flex 2x12s. Good? Will this blow the speakers? The VHT is 90 watts per side, and the cab is 75 watts per side, so to use just one cab, I would need to use the VHT on low power, which drops it to about 60 watts per side. I would need to use two cabs to run at full power, which is no problem.

Thanks! Eventually I will get this great set-up. I will probably have to order it online though...no local dealer.

when you say the cab's 75 watts per side - i assume you mean per cab, not that each one's stereo?

you can use only one side of the amp - though as stated, you'll get uneven tube use which could end up being annoying come tube-change time. And if it's the same as Mesa amps then you'll have to make sure that if you haven't got a load on the unused channel you have the volume turned to zero, and presence (if t has that...) to full. not sure why you put presence to full, but that's what it says. that or you can connect a dummy-load.

and I'm not sure - but i don't think those speakers will handle 90 watts will they? (help someone...) maybe if you connected both to one input via a Y cable? is there any other way to connect it without blowing that I'm not thinking of? or you can just not turn it up all the way - but that's risky...

maybe i'm completely wrong anyway (as usual....)

• Members

Mr Ten,

As far as pedals on the floor, I think it will be a wah, a volume pedal, and the Ground Control Pro. In the rack, it will be

Mesa Triaxis

VHT 2:90:2 (on low power it is sixty watts a side, about the same as the 50, so I figure better to go the 2:90:2)

G-Force

PL-Plus

Korg Tuner

That is what I will initially have (may have to delay purchase of G-Force, but probably not). I may, as you said, get some pedals like a Fuzz Factory, but I think the TC will have my effects covered since I mainly use the chorus/reverb/delay. So I think an 8-space rack. And I will check out the VHT, Mesa, and G-Flex cabs (if I can).

I'm not sure why you decided to reply a lot, but I'm glad you did!

• Members

oh yeh, one other thing - the G-major has a tuner, so I'm assuming the G-force would too? If it does, then although obviously it wouldn't be nearly as good as the Korg, you could save some cash.

Anyone with a G-force wanna inform us on the existence/quality of the G-force tuner?

• Members

Originally posted by sp_spaceboy

oh yeh, one other thing - the G-major has a tuner, so I'm assuming the G-force would too? If it does, then although obviously it wouldn't be nearly as good as the Korg, you could save some cash.

Anyone with a G-force wanna inform us on the existence/quality of the G-force tuner?

I thought about that but I think that the Korg would be much easier to use due to the larger size/screen/LEDs. It would probably be rather hard to see the little G-Force screen while trying to tune up from several feet away. If I am going to spend this much money I might as well buy a tuner.

• Members

I used to have a g-force, the tuner on it is quite terrible. I'd rather have a little boss tuner on the floor in front of me, but I got the korg rack tuner anyways.

As far as using a single side of the power amp, i think there are individual standby switches for each side of the power amp so you could just turn on the side you need to use? I'm sure once you get the unit, the manual will explain the use procedure.

Ask genz benz and see if they'll wire their cabs stereo, if so, you could use each side of the vht with each speaker (they use 75w speakers i think). You're not pushing 90w all the time so you're not going to blow anything, but DO ask someone just in case. Not sure if the load will blow them out, should be ok though. In any case, if they're mono, then just take turn on which side of the power amp you use (unless they force you to use Left for mono), you'll figure it out.

so guitar to wah on the floor, wah to rack, the expression pedal plugs into the gc pro, the gc pro will most likely be powered via phantom power from whatever you plug it into (the triaxis i'm sure). so either use batteries for the wah or put a power supply on the floor.

all cheap end racks are typically the same. the cases i have are top dollar so i wouldn't recommend them yet, probably at least 300 for a 6 space rack (or whatever you get). like spaceboy said, ebay is a good find, check feedback, buy from a trusted guy.

sounds like a cool rig, i'd love to hear it. good luck. pics and clips whenever.

• Members

Originally posted by Mr Ten

sounds like a cool rig, i'd love to hear it. good luck. pics and clips whenever.

Give me to about mid April. I will get some more money then and get my gear. Although I could probably get the pre-amp and power amp now. I would still need some help on the cab. But by mid April I will easily be able to afford everything. I would say by the beginning of May I will have everything. Will definately provide an update with pics, probably no clips as I don't have a way to record.

• Members

So after reading this thread it seems the M4 is really a nice pre and either the vht or the mesa power amps are the way to go. I was listening to the randall pre-amps and it is apparent that they are not as nice as the egnater's. The IE4...is this still in production?

Perhaps I am overcomplicating this...I was also thinking of getting a Mark IV but the rhythm sound was not what I was looking for. Cleans were ok to good (prolly really nice with a good compressor, chorus, verb and delay) and I loved the lead sound...so airy and has that boogie tone....even the metal sound on channel 3 with the eq in was good...just that rhythm was a bit stiff and not quite enough gain....can the Triaxis offer me anything else?

• Members

not sure if the ie4 is still out there, i saw it on the rocktron site, look around.

i prefer amp heads over rack preamps but the egnater and cae 3+se are the nicer units i hear about, the triaxis is very popular as well, lots of different sounds and flexibility, you decide how many of them you will use though.

• 6 months later...
  • Members

Originally posted by LowandLoudx97

heres a question , can the G major control channel switching on the Triaxis?

Nick

Well.. the Triaxis is midi controlled like the G Major, so all you gotta do is plug it this way:

Midi Controller Midi Out

G Major Midi In

G Major Midi Out

Triaxis Midi In

that way, when you switch a patch on the G-Major, it'll change the patch on the Triaxis. ofcourse they can be hooked the other way around.

Duke

• Members

Give me to about mid April. I will get some more money then and get my gear. Although I could probably get the pre-amp and power amp now. I would still need some help on the cab. But by mid April I will easily be able to afford everything. I would say by the beginning of May I will have everything. Will definately provide an update with pics, probably no clips as I don't have a way to record.

Everyone has you definately going in the right direction WM. One additional thing you may want to consider and it would potentially complicate your rig at just a bit more than what you are initially proposing.

That is the addition of a good analog chorus unit. You mention that you really love chorus and like to have it on a lot. I can tell you now that if that`s the case nothing beats a good analog chorus.

Digital chorus in processors are ok and they work but if you use chorus a lot and definately like it on with gain or dirt analog is the way to go IMO.

This would mean you`d have to consider some sort of switcher like the axess grx4.

Give it some thought. You`ll eventually end up with a switcher and mixer down the road anyway. It`s inevitable.

my 2 cents,

Tom

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Originally posted by Ted Copulate

If I did own a regular head I'd probably invest in a case that holds a head under a rack, like what Petrucci has, except one small enough to not have its own gravitational pull.

i spat my drink on my screen ....

everytime i see his rig i think, i'd stab myself if i was his roadie

Archived