Recent Revision Pics from the Rack Farm

Terri

• Members

Originally posted by saxamafone

killer setup!

how do the mesa pre's, bogner, h&k all rate against each other. do you have a #1 fav out of all of them?

Each have their pros and cons...

So far the still all time favorite is my H&K from the standpoint of flexibility, variety of tone, and general utility. Loop setup is very flexible, a single stomp box serial loop, a mono to stereo parallel, a stereo parallel loop with MIDI control throughout. The Germans really thought through this piece! I love it!

The Fish is very different and has some wonderful sounds that are to die for. (4 channels of total bliss) But I don't like the loop setup. It's serial and no way to control it. It's for sheer tone.

Mesa Studio is a 2 channel sweet sounding unit with great cleans and a mellow drive channel. (ala Mk II's)

The Quad is trippy...you can mix and match two different pre's simulaneously. Grindcore with a clean, two cleans, two crunchy with two different verbs. a short and medium tank.

Mesas just require fiddling. They're finnicky and each one is tempermental. But once you have them dialed in, matched with a great power section, nice.... :D Remember you only have two channels with the Studio and with the quad two channels of (sorta) cleans and two crunch.

• Members

Originally posted by Terri

2004sus4.jpg

The 2004 (last year's fall setup)

ThreeAmigos.jpg

The Three Amigos. Couldn't resist the photo op. when they were all together and putting on a smile....
:D

Hope you enjoy.

PS: If the photos stop coming up, that's because the daily bandwidth limit was hit and will reset the following day. Sorry if that is the case. I only have a 10MB daily limit with my hosting site.

resized%20zachs%20gear%20006.jpg

• Members

The Quad is trippy...you can mix and match two different pre's simulaneously. Grindcore with a clean, two cleans, two crunchy with two different verbs. a short and medium tank.

Sounds quite tasty. I've wanted to hear a Triaxis and Quad side by side for some time to compare them.

I didn't know you played grindcore :p

• Members

Ok Jake L.!

You really need to get rid of that Soldano pre. It's ruining your whole rig!
;)

Ah, but the Access and VS250!! Yea baby!! That's the schizzle...

Yo, Terri, what's up ?? How's it going these days ?? Did you buy your apartment in Paris finally ?? My rig is a frickin' mess compared to yours !! I change everything all the time so I really can't cut wires to length etc... But I don't care since it never leaves the studio. I use the smallish Access/VS250/Yammy UD stomp when I need to go out... Check out the Soldano if you happen to be near one... You may well buy it on the spot just like I did !! :p

• Members

Whzup Jack?! The apartment is still up in the air. I know what you mean about the Soldano. I was hoping you're going to give it to me so I can help you "clean up your rig".:D

I noticed a lot of our taste in gear are similar. (That accounts for our good taste??)

I take it the studio has finally taken shape?

• Members

Whzup Jack?! The apartment is still up in the air. I know what you mean about the Soldano. I was hoping you're going to give it to me so I can help you "clean up your rig".

I noticed a lot of our taste in gear are similar. (That accounts for our good taste??)

I take it the studio has finally taken shape?

Everything's cool for now. For the Soldano, we'll see. I'll have to think about it and meet you first in person !! :D

Yes the studio has somehow taken shape though it is more a rehearsal room than a real studio for now. There's still a lot to do and no cash left !! Acoustic treatments, patchbays between recording and control room, some recording gear etc. are still missing !! Have a quick glance :

361_studio_face.jpg

• Members

Oh,,, Totally nice!! ooooo, ahhhhh....

All this and in the basement??? Wow!! Great treatment on the flooring. Very nice.

The rest of the stuff will come along I'm sure. What console desk are you using??

Any cool mics?? Mic Pre's? Also noticed the Mesa cab on the left. :)

Great setup all around. Can't wait to check it out!!

PS: I noticed we were both on European time...I still can't shake the time change. :rolleyes: Any idea if you'll ever come this way?

• Members

Oh,,, Totally nice!! ooooo, ahhhhh....

All this and in the basement??? Wow!! Great treatment on the flooring. Very nice.

The rest of the stuff will come along I'm sure. What console desk are you using??

Any cool mics?? Mic Pre's? Also noticed the Mesa cab on the left.
:)

Great setup all around. Can't wait to check it out!!

PS: I noticed we were both on European time...I still can't shake the time change.
:rolleyes:
Any idea if you'll ever come this way?

The tracking desk is a Trident 65. it's in the recording room for now but will move to the adjacent control room once it is finished :

7cb_Trident_65.jpg

The boogie speaker is in my bass rig :

d03_Bass_Rig.jpg

No cool mic pres nor mics at the moment. That will happen as soon as some money come in !! I plan on using the desk mic pres first because they do sound good for rock and agressive drum tones and it 's what I plan to record. They are not as good for jazz, acoustic or smooth music. BTW, if you have any good deals on used mics, I'm interested !!

• Members

That Trident rocks! Everything looks absolutely great! Good job.

Send pics of the control room when you can. I'll keep my eyes open for some deals. What mics are you looking for first?

AKG, Sennheiser, Neumann, Telefunken??? How about some Blue mics???

I was running a Allen & Heath console (48x8x8) and just recently sold it. When I get the studio finished, I want to put in either a used SSL with G automation or a good clean used Neve.

I still favour 'Old School" analog recording. :D

• Members

That Trident rocks! Everything looks absolutely great! Good job.

Send pics of the control room when you can. I'll keep my eyes open for some deals. What mics are you looking for first?

AKG, Sennheiser, Neumann, Telefunken??? How about some Blue mics???

I was running a Allen & Heath console (48x8x8) and just recently sold it. When I get the studio finished, I want to put in either a used SSL with G automation or a good clean used Neve.

I still favour 'Old School" analog recording.

WOOooooOOWW !! SSL/Neve is way way way over my budget !!! My goal is only a home/project studio, not a full-fledged commercial venture... Anyway, I would want to be able to fully record my girlfriend drumset. So I would need 2 good overheads (AKG 460/480, Schoeps CMC4, Neumann KM84 or anything in the same vein). Some tom/percu mics like Beyer M88, Sennheiser md421 etc. then a bassdrum mic like AKG D12. I'll use my SM57s for the rest. And also a large diaphragm condenser for voice work, maybe a Gefell or Neumann or Blue etc. There's no hurry for all of that anyway...

• Members

414BL's rock for overheads. I'm seeing 700.00 US and 250-300 for MD421's. I sold all mine a couple of years ago. Great tom mics. D12's are stupid money. D112's are decent. SM57's can be had for real cheap. Under a 100 USD. AKG 460's hold their value here. Haven't see much dealing on their condensers.

Believe it or not, I'm only budgeting something like 50-75K for the console and that's very do-able. Neve's are somewhat a bit more depending on the frontend and configuration but overall very reasonable compared to what they originally went for. Many studios will even throw in their sidecars and raceways. (auxillary units and cable trays with cables).

Yeah, many of my friends think I'm nuts poring that much into a private project studio. Consider this though, you can always get your money back out of the gear should you want to sell!:D

• Members

414BL's rock for overheads. I'm seeing 700.00 US and 250-300 for MD421's. I sold all mine a couple of years ago. Great tom mics. D12's are stupid money. D112's are decent. SM57's can be had for real cheap. Under a 100 USD. AKG 460's hold their value here. Haven't see much dealing on their condensers.

Believe it or not, I'm only budgeting something like 50-75K for the console and that's very do-able. Neve's are somewhat a bit more depending on the frontend and configuration but overall very reasonable compared to what they originally went for. Many studios will even throw in their sidecars and raceways. (auxillary units and cable trays with cables).

Yeah, many of my friends think I'm nuts poring that much into a private project studio. Consider this though, you can always get your money back out of the gear should you want to sell!

Woow again !! 75k budget for the desk alone !?!? I think you may be overdoing it !! Damnnnnn !!! All my friends and family sincerely think I'm half-nuts when they visit my basement but you stomp me into the ground. Be sure to post some pics when you buy that monster. For that kind of money, I think I'll seek a latest generation Euphonix desk. Completely automated, including eq and everything, and sounds like heaven at the same time. I'll then add a few vintage outboard pres for different flavour.

• Members

One of the reasons I want to go with SSL is for their awesome frontend and buss. Their automation is to die for. I just like a lot of knobs and lights...don't you??? LOL:D

Now seriously, I ran some digital domain stuff and I just much rather have the analog problems. Even when I put a tube pre frontend, I still have the digital "edge" to my ears.

I'll send a photo of my last console as soon as I get it ported.

Yes, 75K is the high end. And yes we are both hopeless and definitely sick. I think there is a hospital for ppl like us. :p

• Members

Yeah, the A&H was a bit of a tanker. (Try and move it to get to the raceway...argggh!!) Anyway, I'm not in a real hurry to get the studio up and running just yet. I still have tenants in the place and they just started remodeling again! They know that they are the last before the place is converted.

Talk about your black holes and money pits. (Money keeps going in and nothing comes out! LOL) Just the occasional "oh yea!! That's a hit" comment. ROFLMAO!!!

Have you recorded on any DDA stuff?

Archived