rocktron piranha vs. engl E530

alekke

• Members

Could someone help me with this. I would like to buy one of this preamps but I havent tryed them so I could use a little help.

Witch one of these preamps would give me the raunchyest-chain saw alike sound? I like to hear the sound of metal in sound (like I just put new strings)

what are the sound characteristics of those two beasts?

I play b-tuned thrash metal!

meshuggah, scar symmetry...

grtz from croatia!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by alekke

Could someone help me with this. I would like to buy one of this preamps but I havent tryed them so I could use a little help.

Witch one of these preamps would give me the raunchyest-chain saw alike sound? I like to hear the sound of metal in sound (like I just put new strings)

what are the sound characteristics of those two beasts?

I play b-tuned thrash metal!

meshuggah, scar symmetry...

grtz from croatia!

I'd say go E530 or, preferably, Solid State if you want chain saw tone. Look at the Rocktron mAXE and ProGAP Ultra they are going to be more extreme/harsh sounding than the Piranha, IMHO. Likely even more so than the E530 as well.

• Members

is that so?

I using rocktron rampage stompbox at the moment (with dod eq and boss ns 2 ) wich gives me the sound I want, but I`m loooking for something little more proffessional, something I will mount to rack, I thout maybe all tube will give me more naturalyty to the sound.

Now you recomend me solid state!

Two days ago one mAXE was sold behind my backs!

I

• Members

The two preamps you mentioned are worlds apart.

All MIDI programmable preamps are going to have a solid state/processed sound. If you look at the schematic or look inside there are opamps, tons of caps and resistors before the signal even reaches the first tube.

Tube preamps like the E530 on the other hand sends your guitar signal DIRECTLY to the first tube. Of course there's a trade off in the number of channels usually 2-3 channels max.

An engineer once told me an opamp is like passing a signal through a copier. Every time it degrades the sound a bit.

Jun

• Members

Originally posted by tats_dragon

All MIDI programmable preamps are going to have a solid state/processed sound. If you look at the schematic or look inside there are opamps, tons of caps and resistors before the signal even reaches the first tube.

This is absolute BS. There is nothing inherent in the design requirements of a programmable MIDI preamp that precludes the input signal from going directly into the first tube stage as you would do it in a traditional head preamp stage or non-MIDI preamp.

An engineer once told me an opamp is like passing a signal through a copier. Every time it degrades the sound a bit.

Ironically, the exact same statement is true of tube gain stages, but to a much greater extent. It doesn't really matter for Guitar amps, anyway, because in a Guitar amp we're intentionally trying to effect change in the signal: we're not designing for high-fidelity signal reproduction/duplication.

So, really, the op-amp thing holds zero water with me, personally. Internet guitarists are way too hung up on stuff like schematics and gear design implmentation details, etc. My favorite tones of all time have either an op-amp (sometimes MANY) or several layers of transistors in their signal path prior to hitting the first tube gain stage (think stomp boxes).

Quick list:

Jake E. Lee

Hendrix

EVH

SRV

Gibbons

Rhoads

Zakk

Dime

YJM

Vai

Satch

Lynch

Aww hell you get the idea. Basically, nearly every guitarist that ever mattered in rock.

Here's the best advice: Use your ears.

However, like I said, if you dig that super gritty buzz-saw sound I would stick with a Solid State preamp since they are really good at doing it. Like I said, either of those two Rocktrons are going to be great. I don't think the mAxe is programmable but it has a built-in BBE-like effect. Which is really going to make some ears ring. :)

But, regardless of what tats says about the schematics, tonewise, if you are insisting on one of the two pres mentioned in the title: IMHO, the E530 tone sounds more 'death metal' to me and if it came to that or the Piranha for death metal, as cool as the Piranha is, I'd absolutely say get the E530 without hesitation because it is more gained out and gritty sounding, it really sounds a lot like it was designed for that kind of stuff whereas the Piranha has more old-skool Marshall style metal sound in it's blood.

• Members

Elric,

This is absolute BS. There is nothing inherent in the design requirements of a programmable MIDI preamp that precludes the input signal from going directly into the first tube stage as you would do it in a traditional head preamp stage or non-MIDI preamp.

Please refer to me a MIDI preamp with the guitar signal directly into the first tube and I will buy it now. I'm not a tech so I can't speak the lingo and it's just my theory but I know what I like.

As much as I love my Hughes and Kettner Access, to me and my ears, my Peavey Rock Master has a more organic unprocessed sound.

You are right use your ears. Once I started using high quality cables like Evidence Audio, the processed/compressed sound was drastically evident.

Jun

• Members

Please refer to me a MIDI preamp with the guitar signal directly into the first tube and I will buy it now. I'm not a tech so I can't speak the lingo and it's just my theory but I know what I like.

I'm pretty sure the Soldano X99 does. In fact I'm pretty sure they used the famous motorized pots on it to avoid solid state gain stages ANYWHERE in the signal path throughout the preamp (i.e. no active eq, as nearly all programmable preamps have, etc). Since you'll be buying one, you should check eBay. They come up on a semi regular basis and they're a great preamp.

Also, assuming your initial statement regarding the E530 is true, then I'd guess that it's highly likely the MIDI programmable big brothers: the E570 and E580, do as well. Engl can probably help determine if this is the case or if the E530 is an anomaly in their preamp line.

Sounds like someone else has verified that the Triaxis has minimal but non-zero op-amp usage at the input, too. So, that may be worth looking into as well.

Like I said, there is nothing about MIDI programmableness that requires solid state buffering of the input signal. That said, as you'd probably guess from my previous response, I never cared enough to research it at that level because I don't believe it's effect is significant if the device sounds good when demoed. For example, people on the net and elsewhere rip on the JMP-1 all day long due to the diode clipping stages in it, yet they ignore the fact that it's a great sounding pre. And there's still the stomp box point I made earlier, too. So you might be little rash in your dismissal of something solely because it contains solid state circuitry. Your Rockmaster might just be a better sounding pre for you than the H&K.

I guess I'm lucky to be able to preview stuff a bit locally.... The original poster is in someplace I would presume to be remote gearwise if I remember correctly. (Croatia?).

• Members

Just checked the Triaxis schem and the guitar hits the tube right away also.

Theory shot.

I've heard several times that the Triaxis sounds compressed compared to amp heads. It's obviously the whole circuit not just the fact that it hits the tube right away.

Jun

I don't think the lead 2 voices sound compressed at all. those are the bread and butter of the triaxis. they are very similar to the mark 2, 3 and 4. Actually I love my triaxis, and I'm pretty sure I don't want to sell it.:thu:

• Members

Yes, from croatia!

Even as I understand english very well you bomed me with so much tehnical stuff that I still have buzz in my head!

I dont care if it is running gain thru the tranzistor or a tube, I`m just searching for a good metalic sound ala latest Aborted or earlier Meshuggah.

As I realy dislike marshall sound I think Erlic convinced me to get my self the E530.

Even because I can buy it new in my country, and I dont need that MIDI functions, I use only one sound that must be a killer, only now I must buy separate Noise gate unit!

• Members

Just checked the Triaxis schem and the guitar hits the tube right away also.

Theory shot.

It's all good.... IMHO, the willingness to follow up on your ideas and revise them when your initial theory is demonstrated as incorrect shows a lot of smarts on your part dude! No hard feelings, bro. :thu:

Alekke: Man, $340 sounds like a ton for a Pro GAP even in Croatia, since as someone else here said, you can find one for

Good luck on your tone quest! ;)

• Members

Originally posted by Grim

read

Didnt find anything inthresting, I think Erlic was more convinsive in reviewing!

Maybe thats the sound I want!

My favorites CARNAL FORGE on "please...die!" album used Engl Savage amp! Belive I could get close to it with 530!

Btw. what would "saturation" be on a language of dumb?

I saw that on some of peavey amps and think that has something to do with tube simulation, but when it comes to tube amps it would be what?

• Members

Originally posted by alekke

Didnt find anything inthresting, I think Erlic was more convinsive in reviewing!

Maybe thats the sound I want!

My favorites CARNAL FORGE on "please...die!" album used Engl Savage amp! Belive I could get close to it with 530!

Btw. what would "saturation" be on a language of dumb?

I saw that on some of peavey amps and think that has something to do with tube simulation, but when it comes to tube amps it would be what?

saturation prettmuch means "amount of gain" whether it cascades or not is up to you I think.:confused:

dude, $340 is too much for any pro gap in any country.

• Members

Acording to peavey who invented that patent called "saturation" it simulates not only tube sound, but the sound of whole tube system.

Just translated this from monitor magazine!

So, what about that Pro GAP?

Someone says it is not for metal, someone that it bites walls!

Sound ala what?

Archived