Poweramp loudness

alekke

• Members

Let me put this simple:

1. What tube poweramp in combination with 530 will outloud or cover peavey 6505 head? 50/50 or still 100/100 is necessery?

2. What tube poweramp is louder than crate SPA200 solid state? 50/50 or 100/100? or both?

• Members

The Peavey 5150 is either 60 or 120 watts, but you should be able to keep up by using a 50/50. The biggest variable is going to be with your clean headroom. If you want extremely loud and crystal clean, you may want to go with the 100/100. I do think the 50/50 can be bridged to provide 100w mono, and if you run mono you'll be happy with that. There will be less weight, and tube replacement will be cheaper, too.

I use a Peavey Classic 120, and I can't imagine needing more power...I don't use most of what's there anyway.

• Members

cool, cause I dont use cleans.

I was wondering cause that 6505 sucker can be loud as hell! (ma bandmate has one)

My old bassman head 100W was too weak to compete with peavey, so I was wondering will it be the same with any 100w tube poweramp.

curently Im using crate spa200 SS, on 8ohm providing 2x70w and it gives me satisfacting loudness but If I would go tube, 50/50 would be sufficiant?

That marshalls 3H is too big for me,

what do you think about Engl? It has 5881 tubes.

Are 50/50 poweramps of all brands have the same top loudnes level?

• Members

The 50/50 would probably do just fine, especially if you're getting by on your current amp's SS 70w per side. I prefer larger tubes than the EL84s, but that's strictly a matter of preference. The 50/50 uses EL84s, and the 60/60 uses 6L6s, which are the equivalent to the Engl's 5881s you mentioned.

By "too big", are you referring to rack spaces? I didn't check to see how big each one is, but I know that my Classic 120 is 3U, and it comes stock with 4 6L6 tubes, so it's likely that the 60/60 is 3U, too.

• Members

If we're talking Peavey 50/50 it's mono bridgeable to 100w with convenient stand by switches for each channel if you only need 50w. 2 rack spaces.

I currently own the Peavey 60/60 which is 3 rack spaces and heavy. More lows and just overall tone from the 60/60 when I A/B'ed the two.

Speaker effeciency will also contribute to perceived 'loudness' too.

If your other guitarist has one 4x12" cab, get two!!

Jun

• Members

BY too big I was talking about rack spaces, so 3H is too much for me. So marshall 50/50 is out even if he has that loudness.

I dont know if I could count on Peavey cause they are discontinued, and not much people have tube poweramps to sell in my country, and ordering from outside is difficult cause rarely some would ship it to croatia.

Other guitarist is using 4x12" cabinet. So am I.

I am little afraid that 50/50 wouldnt do the amount of loudness for me.

• Members

Alekke,

I dont know if I could count on Peavey cause they are discontinued, and not much people have tube poweramps to sell in my country, and ordering from outside is difficult cause rarely some would ship it to croatia.

Peavey is known for durability. What's your AC voltage? Even if a part burns out, any repairman should be able to a fix a simple tube amp.

I might be selling my 60/60 on Ebay. I usually post it as worldwide shipping.

Jun

• Members

BY too big I was talking about rack spaces, so 3H is too much for me. So marshall 50/50 is out even if he has that loudness.

Other guitarist is using 4x12" cabinet. So am I.

I am little afraid that 50/50 wouldnt do the amount of loudness for me.

IMO the 50/50 is almost certain to blow away your current power amp, and shouldn't have any trouble keeping up with most amps. Peaveys are built rock solid, too.

• Members

Alekke,

What speaker and cab are you using?

I recently tried the Eminence Governor, Wizard and a 2x12" cab with Tone Tubby ceramics all with the same amp and the Eminence Wizard in a Mesa Thiele 1x12" clone was noticeably louder than the other speakers. Great sound too. Had a lot of sweet presence that would allow your sound to cut through.

Check out the Eminence website for excellent sound samples.

Jun

• Members

true! I use behringer cabinet with bugera vintige speakers an it is not so loud as marshall, but has a better sound. not so screamy high, but warmer and more headroom.

My friend has 4x12 governor cabinet. gotta try em.

My plan is to built custom 4x12 with celestion g12-k100.

eminence is hard to get here, if possible then are over 100euro piece

Archived