My equipment is: racktuner -> engl530 -> Hush super C -> Crate spa200

next week I'm getting 5 band parametric eq. Wich is the best way to use it:

1) engl -> EQ -> hush -> crate

2) engl -> hush -> EQ -> crate

3) hush in loop of engl -> EQ -> crate

4) EQ in loop of engl -> hush -> crate

THNX

• Members

Without having direct experience I'd rule out 3 as I'd imagine you'd want the hush permanently in the chain.

4 might be good to if you can switch the loop in and out and EQ isn't easily switchable so that you can use it to produce mid boosts (or cuts if that takes your fancy) at will.

Other than that I'd see if it generates noise in setup 2. If it does go to setup 1 so the hush can tame it.

Good luck with it.

• Members

I would go with 1 or 4, depending on what you are trying to do. Some guitarists use the EQ in front of the amp to boost frequencies right out of the guitar, maybe to balance out a scooped or spiked pickup for instance, or as a clean boost for the amp. In that case, go with option 1.

My personal preference would be option 4, because if you are boosting frequencies coming out of a distorted preamp, the EQ will likely generate noise. In my own rig, I use an ART Tube EQ that sounds fantastic but is quite noisy. A Hush unit after it in the loop or between the preamp and power amp (depending on what effects I'm using) eliminates the noise, but I still get all the benefits of the EQ.

• Members

What is the difference between 1) and 4) ?

I'm getting eq unit because I want to cut those screamy Highs and boost mids and little bit of lows wich I can't achive with my curent setup.

Job of my rig is to produce only one sound that must rip balls. So that excludes footswitches and foot control of any kind. Just me, my guitar and rig.

So, are there any benefits of 4) above 1) ?

• Members

Everyone should own 3 or 4 EQ pedals, a boost pedal, and an attenuator. All of these are tools which you use to shape your tone.

To use EQ, you can EQ after the guitar and before your boost, after your boost and before your amp, and also in the loop of your amp. EQing at these different stages will get you different results.

If you want to tighten up your sound and get more crunch, you want to cut the lows and slightly boost the mid/highs before your amp. If you want a good scooped bedroom metal sound, crank up the mids on your amp and then use a deep "V" type EQ in your amps loop.

The goal is to EQ at all these stages to get the sound you want, and then go back and try to remove as much gear as possible and retain the same or similiar tone (with less noise/crap).

Try the EQ in different places, see what works for you. There is no wrong answer.

-W

• Members

What is the difference between 1) and 4) ?

I'm getting eq unit because I want to cut those screamy Highs and boost mids and little bit of lows wich I can't achive with my curent setup.

Job of my rig is to produce only one sound that must rip balls. So that excludes footswitches and foot control of any kind. Just me, my guitar and rig.

So, are there any benefits of 4) above 1) ?

I just realized that I read your original post wrong. I somehow was thinking that #1 involved running the EQ *before* the amp. My mistake.

But as far as whether or not to run the EQ (or Hush) in the loop really depends on the sound quality you get in or out of the loop. Some loops are very "dead" sounding and will suck some frequencies out of your overall tone. Others are totally transparent. Since you aren't using a footswitch to turn the loop on and off, it is completely a matter of sound quality.

• Members

starsnuffer - when you say "amp" here, are you referring to the preamp? that is to say, if i want the bedroom metal sound, you suggest cranking the mids in the premp tone controls (predistortion i would guess), then scoop the mids with an EQ in the preamps effects loop (post distortion, i would guess)?

• Members

starsnuffer - when you say "amp" here, are you referring to the preamp? that is to say, if i want the bedroom metal sound, you suggest cranking the mids in the premp tone controls (predistortion i would guess), then scoop the mids with an EQ in the preamps effects loop (post distortion, i would guess)?

Yes, exactly. Cutting the bass a bit with another EQ or boost before your amp will also help get that tight "thrash" sound. Just remember to use judgement, you don't have to crank the amps mids to 10 and scoop out all the mids in the loop. Just go slow until it sounds good to your ears. I say "bedroom" because this tone will have trouble cutting in a band mix, although you can EQ the rest of the band around it (ala mctallica AJFA).

FYI, a BBE essentially scoops your mids, so you could get the same effect by putting a BBE in the loop. . . however, BBE's are designed for PA's and recording so you'll get a lot of hiss and fizz in areas that are normally outside the guitar range.

-W

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I tried both versions 4) than 1) and 1) is much better solution!

When eq was in loop of engl at high volumes everything was falling apart. Noise floor was increased and strange clipping could be heard when palm muting. Also I had to put hush almost on 10 and still it didnt work fine.

When I put it in series like 1) everithing was back to narmal! Now I must spend hours to play with eq, damn :lol:

myrig2xe9.jpg

• Members

I used to run a few Symetrix SX-201 parametrics in the loops of the Rock Master preamp. The tone shaping options were endless.......

until I purchased quality cables, I noticed that the passive eq's on the preamp now had a larger affect on tone.

Jun

Archived