Cheap rack fx

• Members

It's apparent from your sound clips that you're after a different tone than I am. My tone has never been better since I got my Marshall and my Earcandy. My philosophy has always been to try to keep my rig feeling and sounding as close to pluging straight in as I can. You're rhythm tone is far smoother than what I'm looking for. I want my rhythm tone to be aggressive from the amp. I come from a thrash (Megadeth/KMFDM) and alternative rock GNR/Smashing Pumpkins background so this makes sense to me. The clean sound I'm after I would steal directly from The Edge, Alex Lifeson, or David Gilmour. While the lead sounds I'm looking for are like Extremist era Satriani or early Vai (massive but a little indistinct while shredding) depending on the solo. I'm looking at having Savage Audio (I'm lucky enough to live just down the road) effects loop mod my marshall and use an external preamp for cleans and my Satriani type lead sound. For my Vai type lead sound I'm going to continue using the Tube Driver into the Marshall.

As far as effects go I love analog effects. (probably my love of U2, Pink Floyd, and Rush shining through) That's why I was going to using a loop switcher to switch pedals in addition to controlling things that are foot switchable. Analog reverbs and delays sound too dirty unless that's what I'm going for. (I intend to buy a Line 6 Echo Pro to do my echoplex and such. I love to do those running away echoplex sounds and adjusting delay time to create warbles and screeches) I intend to buy the Lexicon for something more pristine. The sound good enough and they're cheap at least here.

My rig is entirely based on getting the tone I want while carrying as little as possible. I'm 6'4 and 140 so there's not much to me expect height. I wasted my youth spending all my time practicing.:thu:

My ideal set up would be 4 amps. A Hiwatt/Reeves Custom 50/100 for cleans earcandy w/ fanes. A cranked AC30 for semi-dirty earcandy w/ blues. My marshall for rhythm earcandy w/ Private Jacks. A Soldano Hot Rod 100 for lead earcandy w/v30s. This sort of setup would sound awesome but is impractical as far as weight and size.(and volume)

And as far as the school front I'm getting an associates degree in guitar performance at McNally Smith College of Music in St. Paul. So ultimately not very useful as far as finding a job.

If you get a chance check out my band at: www.myspace.com/talentlessellouts

don't judge the recordings too harshly it was my first experience recording.

It's like I went to record and forgot how to play.

It seems I have a habit of writing a novel every time I post.

• Members

It's apparent from your sound clips that you're after a different tone than I am. My tone has never been better since I got my Marshall and my Earcandy. My philosophy has always been to try to keep my rig feeling and sounding as close to pluging straight in as I can. You're rhythm tone is far smoother than what I'm looking for. I want my rhythm tone to be aggressive from the amp. I come from a thrash (Megadeth/KMFDM) and alternative rock GNR/Smashing Pumpkins background so this makes sense to me. The clean sound I'm after I would steal directly from The Edge, Alex Lifeson, or David Gilmour. While the lead sounds I'm looking for are like Extremist era Satriani or early Vai (massive but a little indistinct while shredding) depending on the solo. I'm looking at having Savage Audio (I'm lucky enough to live just down the road) effects loop mod my marshall and use an external preamp for cleans and my Satriani type lead sound. For my Vai type lead sound I'm going to continue using the Tube Driver into the Marshall.

As far as effects go I love analog effects. (probably my love of U2, Pink Floyd, and Rush shining through) That's why I was going to using a loop switcher to switch pedals in addition to controlling things that are foot switchable. Analog reverbs and delays sound too dirty unless that's what I'm going for. (I intend to buy a Line 6 Echo Pro to do my echoplex and such. I love to do those running away echoplex sounds and adjusting delay time to create warbles and screeches) I intend to buy the Lexicon for something more pristine. The sound good enough and they're cheap at least here.

My rig is entirely based on getting the tone I want while carrying as little as possible. I'm 6'4 and 140 so there's not much to me expect height. I wasted my youth spending all my time practicing.
:thu:

My ideal set up would be 4 amps. A Hiwatt/Reeves Custom 50/100 for cleans earcandy w/ fanes. A cranked AC30 for semi-dirty earcandy w/ blues. My marshall for rhythm earcandy w/ Private Jacks. A Soldano Hot Rod 100 for lead earcandy w/v30s. This sort of setup would sound awesome but is impractical as far as weight and size.(and volume)

And as far as the school front I'm getting an associates degree in guitar performance at McNally Smith College of Music in St. Paul. So ultimately not very useful as far as finding a job.

If you get a chance check out my band at:
www.myspace.com/talentlessellouts

don't judge the recordings too harshly it was my first experience recording.

It's like I went to record and forgot how to play.

It seems I have a habit of writing a novel every time I post.

Best of Luck to you. I like the vibe of your tunes.

I didn't think this crunch rhythm tone was "smooth", but I appreciate your perspective.

http://www.netmusicians.org/files/14-whitesnake_Mark_III.mp3

Archived