Cheap rack fx

• Members

Buy a used Lexicon MPX. Depending on how much you need to do they range from $75-$175 for an MPX 100-550. MPX1 and MPXG2 are much more expensive and then you need the Lexicon foot controller to take full advantage of them. The drawback with the MPXs is that you can only run 2 simultaneous effects with a few exceptions. On the MPX200 and MPX550 the compression is separate. The MPX1 and MPXG2 allow you to run one effect from each effects block. The best sounding setup would be to use an effects processor for reverb and delay for sure, maybe compression if you're going to use it and use pedals with a loop switcher.

The rocktron stuff is always good if you want something a little cheesy sounding.

• Members

The Lexicon MPX100 and MPX110 are suited for PA work where you need a little delay or reverb. I would stay away from those if you want like to tweak efx.

Jun

That's why I said a 200 or more. I'm going to use a 550 in my rack. As said the best sound will result from using rack for delay and reverb and pedals for modulation and overdrive, etc.

• Members

That's why I said a 200 or more. I'm going to use a 550 in my rack. As said the best sound will result from using rack for delay and reverb and pedals for modulation and overdrive, etc.

I only see that you recommended 'MPX100-550' , perhaps it should say 'MPX200-550' instead.

I used the MPX1 in the studion but had a hard time with the unfriendly user interface. Maybe the 550 is different.

I really like the modulation on the RSP-550. So for me, pedals are not the best for modulation efx.

I don't like tap dancing and have no desire to rack stompboxes.

Jun

• Members

I almost bought a G Major a while ago before I knew better. I sounded like completely sterile crap. What interested me in the G Major was the external switching jack. Once I got a chance to play it though I ended up abing it with an intellifex and the intellifex sounded better. I didn't have any problems programming the MPX-G2 they have in the recording studios at school nor do I have problems with the MPX1 in the auditorium.

The moral of the story: Don't buy something that will just do for now, you'll have a harder time selling it later. AND BUY NOTHING IF YOU HAVEN'T HEARD IT BEFORE.

• Members

I agree the ADDA conversion on the G major is not the best. That's probably what JMPMarshall is referring to as 'sterile crap'.

Since the Duggyrocks is on a limited budget, another option is using cheaper efx units in parallel, instead of series, to avoid going thru the digital conversion completely.

I recently helped a buddy of mine with his Egnator M4, Mesa 20/20, two Mesa thieles and the G major in a wet/dry rig. The G major was far from 'sterile crap'.

Jun

• Members

The Boss SE-50, SE-70 and VF-1 are all decent units, very similar.

Jun

+1. I'm running a Boss Se-70 in my rig after an ADA mp-1, and i love it, although i'm not very experienced with other multiFX units. I use a lot of the delays and reverbs. The only things I don't like are the lack of a spring reverb (although the plate reverb is awesome!) and if you use an expression pedal to bend the pitch shift, you can kind of hear a stepping effect (but i'm wondering if that is a midi expression pedal thing.)

• Members

I agree the ADDA conversion on the G major is not the best. That's probably what JMPMarshall is referring to as 'sterile crap'.

Since the Duggyrocks is on a limited budget, another option is using cheaper efx units in parallel, instead of series, to avoid going thru the digital conversion completely.

I recently helped a buddy of mine with his Egnator M4, Mesa 20/20, two Mesa thieles and the G major in a wet/dry rig.
The G major was far from 'sterile crap'.

Jun

AGREED, Likely operator error if that was truly the experience

• Members

AGREED, Likely operator error if that was truly the experience

Crap is subjective and largely depends on what you compare it to. Comparing it to the Lexicon processors in my experience it didn't hold a candle. Perhaps it was because I was trying it with a DSL head (poor effects loop) rather than my rack like I would have otherwise.

Can you head the loading on your signal a true bypass effects pedal places? I can.

What effects processor you choose comes down to what you want it to do. I could never use an effects processor for modulation effects because I've never played one that sounded better than my analog pedals.

• Members

Think I'll just save for a used G-Major guys. i want delay, reverb, chorus, phaser, pitch, and also, can the g major do volume swells (as in, can I assign the output level to an expression pedal)?

Yes it can do volume swells. You can assign a MIDI pedal to control the levels. I use a Behringer FCB1010 and it works perfectly

• Members

Can you head the loading on your signal a true bypass effects pedal places? I can.

Am I the only one that can not decipher what this sentence means?

Dude, every piece of equipment has a use. There are work arounds. I've owned the TC M-one which is similar in quality with the G-major so I know the inferior quality of the ADDA, but it's not crap.

Instead of simply stating 'sterile crap', why don't you elaborate a little more.

Fact is in your first post, you actually recommended the MPX100 which I categorized as 'crap', but in a parallel loop or wet/dry I would consider using it, if budget was tight.

Jun

• Members

Think I'll just save for a used G-Major guys. i want delay, reverb, chorus, phaser, pitch, and also, can the g major do volume swells (as in, can I assign the output level to an expression pedal)?

You can assign almost any parameter to an exp pedal. Reverb level, delay repeats, tremolo/chorus/flanger rate, etc.

Do you have access to Rocktron gear? I've read good reports about the Xpression. I believe there's a function that allows the dry guitar signal to pass thru the unit without converting it to digital.

Gonna have to try these for yourself.

Jun

• Members

You can assign almost any parameter to an exp pedal. Reverb level, delay repeats, tremolo/chorus/flanger rate, etc.

Do you have access to Rocktron gear? I've read good reports about the Xpression. I believe there's a function that allows the dry guitar signal to pass thru the unit without converting it to digital.

Gonna have to try these for yourself.

Jun

I believe you can do that with the Xpression if I remember correctly.

Regarding the pedal and volume swells, I know you can do it with the G-Force with the modifiers section. Check the LFO's and all that and play around with them in the matrix (Does the G-Major have that)

Cool {censored} man and it will definitely "better up" your tone. :thu:

The only issue with the Major is the build quality. Beware of the knobs falling off. Rocktron stuff is built like a tank though.

Good luck

• Members

Crap is subjective and largely depends on what you compare it to. Comparing it to the Lexicon processors in my experience it didn't hold a candle. Perhaps it was because I was trying it with a DSL head (poor effects loop) rather than my rack like I would have otherwise.

What effects processor you choose comes down to what you want it to do. I could never use an effects processor for modulation effects because I've never played one that sounded better than my analog pedals.

um, think you could tone down your Holier than Thou arrogance? Maybe you are a rock superstar in your mind but there are peeps here who look for constructive feedback on gear whether you think it's crap or not. :rolleyes:

• Members

I could never use an effects processor for modulation effects because I've never played one that sounded better than my analog pedals.

Looking at your list of gear and judging by your comments to me, I am SURE that higher level modulation effects Like Eventide's H8000FW and TC Electronics' 1210, have NEVER been directly experienced by you.

As stated by gimmie411, you could and should tune down the arrogance. IF I wanted to be a dick, I'd tell you that my rig is the stuff yours wants to be when it grows up.

No worries... It's all good. Whatever works for you. ;):thu:

• Members

Actually I have experienced them, they have them in the recording studios at my school. I don't need that much power for one. Unless someone is playing needlessly complicated material most of those effects aren't very useful outside of a studio.

I have built racks for people in my area. Most people went with the Lexicon equipment namely the G2 though some have gone eventide (H3000), and one decided on a G-Force. The usual budget of people I work with is in between your own and the persons that started the thread.

I can understand the 2290 with the built-in loops, however in my experience an H3000 was overkill. The only reason for me to have anything better would be to run simultaneous effects on different signals within the same unit. The only setup I found that to be useful in is keyboard.

I wanted to use a Lexicon MPX-G2 in my rack but after experiencing one I changed my mind. They sounded good minus the mediocre preamp effects. My issue was the latency was excessive using program changes and I didn't like the pedal like interface using control changes. I wanted to find a way to use multiple simultaneous control changes to switch everything but I couldn't find an affordable midi controller to do so. The closest I found was the Lexicon MPX-R1 which can send a control change on each channel simultaneously. However just because it's not useful in my playing doesn't mean it isn't in others.

I've been back and forth between using a rack and multiple amps a couple of times. I don't hold onto things I quit using because I can't afford to.

My issue with the G Major when I tried it was the processed digital sound of the modulations, noise, and the bass response I lost.

I have tried most of the things in your sig. The acceptions being that I haven't tried a black face fender that old (the olderst I tried was 67 deluxe and I haven't tried the TC 1210 you mention. I tried a different version of the H8000, my school's studio has the PCMs and the 2290.

Needless to say being so young and going to school I can't afford such nice gear myself. But our disagreement doesn't rest with that. We're playing very different music with the setups we have. I did listen to the samples on your website and it's easy to tell you're very good. It's just the styles of music we play require very different sounds.

• Members

Actually I have experienced them, they have them in the recording studios at my school. I don't need that much power for one. Unless someone is playing needlessly complicated material most of those effects aren't very useful outside of a studio.

I have built racks for people in my area. Most people went with the Lexicon equipment namely the G2 though some have gone eventide (H3000), and one decided on a G-Force. The usual budget of people I work with is in between your own and the persons that started the thread.

I can understand the 2290 with the built-in loops, however in my experience an H3000 was overkill. The only reason for me to have anything better would be to run simultaneous effects on different signals within the same unit. The only setup I found that to be useful in is keyboard.

I wanted to use a Lexicon MPX-G2 in my rack but after experiencing one I changed my mind. They sounded good minus the mediocre preamp effects. My issue was the latency was excessive using program changes and I didn't like the pedal like interface using control changes. I wanted to find a way to use multiple simultaneous control changes to switch everything but I couldn't find an affordable midi controller to do so. The closest I found was the Lexicon MPX-R1 which can send a control change on each channel simultaneously. However just because it's not useful in my playing doesn't mean it isn't in others.

I've been back and forth between using a rack and multiple amps a couple of times. I don't hold onto things I quit using because I can't afford to.

My issue with the G Major when I tried it was the processed digital sound of the modulations, noise, and the bass response I lost.

I have tried most of the things in your sig. The acceptions being that I haven't tried a black face fender that old (the olderst I tried was 67 deluxe and I haven't tried the TC 1210 you mention. I tried a different version of the H8000, my school's studio has the PCMs and the 2290.

Needless to say being so young and going to school I can't afford such nice gear myself. But our disagreement doesn't rest with that. We're playing very different music with the setups we have. I did listen to the samples on your website and it's easy to tell you're very good. It's just the styles of music we play require very different sounds.

First of all KUDOS, for going to school!!! Thanks for the compliment on the clips.

The clips on my site are, IMO just so so, and mostly done with just a Marshall 6100LE, CE2, MXR Dyna Comp and a Blackface Intellifex. (The Benatar Tribute stuff). There are a couple of other clips with a small Marshall combo (don't remember which one) and a couple with my Mesa MKIII Coliseum. I haven't been able to put up the other stuff, but will eventually.

I do a lot of session work and one of the reasons for having the stuff I do, is because in the studio, I often times need to come up with sounds/tones that accommodate the producer or artists' vision, which are often different than what I think are "right" for the job. The other reasons I have the gear I do is that I play a lot of styles of music Rock (Classic, Heavy Metal, Rock -N- Roll etc...), Fusion/Jazz, Funk, R&B, Blues, Old school Roots Americana, yes, I've even played Disco :freak: hehehehe. :lol:

I find that using this gear from a studio engineering standpoint, is VERY different than using it in a guitarist's rig scenario because: the signal routing, RF and ground loop noise, mix and controllability in real time challenges are not usually factors that come into play in a studio, in the same way. The way the modulation effects in the H8000 for example, can manipulate a guitar tone, is VERY useful. Not too likely I'll be utilizing the 5.1 Surround stuff with a guitar rig, but the Virtual Racks feature available in the H8000FW is EXTREMELY guitar oriented and appreciated as it eliminates the lag in preset load times that Eventides are known for. I run the Rack processors in Parallel in the guitar rig to eliminate a lot of the lag issues of the Lexicon and Eventide as well. I know from first hand experience that NOTHING does it ALL in one box, so multi-components is the ONLY way to go IF NO compromise in tone is your goal. Add to that the equipment needed to control all of this stuff and it is NOT, unfortunately ultra affordable.

I used to use a 2290 back in 1987 as a controller for a previous rig, with the TC 0144 foot controller.

You are correct that it's overkill power wise, which is another reason why I chose the gear I did. I realized that I was always dealing with compromises in tone, flexibility, versatility, and controllability in one way or another, and as a result, was never quite satisfied- trading, selling upgrading etc... SO... I built this monstrous pig of a rig, figuring that I'll likely NEVER reach it's MAX potential, and most of the gear is upgradeable via software updates, so I am set. Believe me that when I tell you trying out a piece of gear like the Eventide H8000FW for less than a year will NOT get you anywhere close to being able to ascertain what it is really capable of doing for your guitar tone.

That being said, I still think the TC Electronic G-Major is a pretty big bang for the buck as their entry level rack processor, I think it's alright, and if it would've been available when I got started with all this rack processor stuff back in around 1985, I would've been VERY VERY happy with it. I have helped a whole bunch of guys on this forum and others with the setup of the G-Major, as their impression was similar to yours, until I showed them how to properly configure it for use with their guitar rig. Night and Day, difference, when operator error is corrected, and no longer an issue.

Just saying...

Best of luck in your school, and your future. Try to remember that here on the interweb, you never really know who you're addressing and like you said, it's all perspective. When someone talks to me about "Best" gear for tone, I take it at face value- though we BOTH know that that isn't what they usually mean. They are usually talking about what is the best for the $$$.

Archived