Running rack FX in front of an amp?

• Members

I sometimes run my Digitech 2120 into the front of my Carvin Legacy. It sounds great for distortion but the clean sounds suffer a bit. I would not recommend running a preamp into the front of a solid state amp as it would most likely sound distorted, harsh and brittle [like ass].

• Members

the only issue i can see is the impedance of the rack unit being too low to load the guitar pickups adequately, making the guitar sound dull and saggy.

i'd recommend having some sort of buffer between the guitar and rack unit just to be on the safe side.

i've used a few racks before my preamp in the past and not had any problems aside from some extra noise.

good luck!

• Members

a boss pedal would be an active buffer. a good one? up to you really ;)

the noise is most likely due to the unit being designed to run on much much higher level signals than a guitar, thus putting out a lot higher signal. its all about the signal to noise ratio. if you know you're unit it going to be run at between -10 and +4 db you can get away with a lot more you can get away with a lot higher noise floor.

i hope that made some sense.

i've spent all day doing paper work on a bank holiday. my eyes are burning

• Members

I just tried a bypassed boss pedal before the pro Q ,same result...:( the noise while playing is huge. Help ! does someone have another idea for my rig? The pro Q doesnt have external input and output levels like the intellifex, only a programmable output level. I tried changing it, no effect. Damn, i thought i had the perfect solution...:cry:

Is there a pedal that could convert from insturment level to line level? and once converted, can the signal go back unharmed into a few pedals before hitting the amp?

lots of questions, sorry :) but i'm desperate. uh, kinda.

• Members

What would be the consequences of that? impedance mismatch? Tone suckage? Volume drop? Anyone knows?
:confused:

Thinking of running a Pro Q in front of my Vetta...
:idea:

Depending on the individual piece of rack gear. MOST rack gear is designed to be run at line level +4dB, while an amp input is designed, generally, for instrument level at -10dB. Certain types of effects are desired at certain places in the signal chain. ex. pre or post preamp section (in front of the amp or in the loop).

The consequences could be over loading, OR not having enough signal, to your rack effects' input- from your high impedance guitar signal your preamp input resulting in a less than optimum clarity of your effect.

Good question. This is the reason why units such as the Yamaha SPX90 has +4dB AND -10dB switches on it's inputs AND outputs. ;)

• Members

I was told by a circuit designer that all equipment internally run at -10db. +4 is simply an extra gain stage added in front and at the end of circuits. He actually recommended using -10dB whenever possible to avoid the extra circuitry and noise, since most gear you plug into will have an input gain anyway.

I'm not an EE major so I can't vouch for the accuracy of the statement.

Jun

• Members

I was told by a circuit designer that all equipment internally run at -10db. +4 is simply an extra gain stage added in front and at the end of circuits. He actually recommended using -10dB whenever possible to avoid the extra circuitry and noise, since most gear you plug into will have an input gain anyway.

I'm not an EE major so I can't vouch for the accuracy of the statement.

Jun

If you are running a balanced system as opposed to an unbalanced system along with how your system signal routing is done all are points of If you'll notice on equipment that has BOTH 1/4" and XLR jacks for input/outputs for example, the Level that they run at is very different and when run with the XLR's you get WAY more available headroom and better performance from your unit, as a result of the higher dB signal available.

• Members

I just tried a bypassed boss pedal before the pro Q ,same result...
:(
the noise while playing is huge. Help ! does someone have another idea for my rig? The pro Q doesnt have external input and output levels like the intellifex, only a programmable output level. I tried changing it, no effect. Damn, i thought i had the perfect solution...
:cry:
Is there a pedal that could convert from insturment level to line level? and once converted, can the signal go back unharmed into a few pedals before hitting the amp?

lots of questions, sorry
:)
but i'm desperate. uh, kinda.

There are so many places that noise can be entering into your signal chain from improperly shielded cables, unclean power from the AC, improper ground of the guitar (pickups, switch, jack) cold solder joints etc... wall wart transformers too close in proximity to your cables etc...

Buffers can have there own inherent strengths and weaknesses as well.

I have found that with all of the technology that is being put into devices nowadays that the "potential for greatness" is definitely here, BUT the routing of all of it, and the controllability of all of it, can cost as much or more than the effects gear itself, and when trying to save a buck here and there it's a hit or miss scenario with regards to the most efficient, noise free, and flexible choices being required.

What amp, guitar/pickups, gear (pedal and rack) and signal routing chain are you currently utilizing?

• Members

For this experiment i'm only using :

Ibanez custom with EMGs > Boss pedal bypassed (any will do) > Pro Q > Vetta > Rocktron cabs. Without the pro Q the signal is perfectly noise-free.

I suspect it's the level difference between the guitar and the pro Q that's the culprit here. Hence my question about boosting my guitar level to line level before entering the chain. But can pedals handle a line level? The definitive system will be as above, only with several pedals and a rack in the loop of the Vetta.

• Members

For this experiment i'm only using :

Ibanez custom with EMGs > Boss pedal bypassed (any will do) > Pro Q > Vetta > Rocktron cabs. Without the pro Q the signal is perfectly noise-free.

I suspect it's the level difference between the guitar and the pro Q that's the culprit here. Hence my question about boosting my guitar level to line level before entering the chain. But can pedals handle a line level? The definitive system will be as above, only with several pedals and a rack in the loop of the Vetta.

Run the line out of your Vetta into your Pro Q then out of your Pro Q into your FX return of your vetta.

Depending on the Boss pedal, if a chorus or delay run in the loop of your Vetta, if an overdrive run in the input of your vetta.

Archived