Paramtric EQ recommendations

perceive

• Members

Okay brief setup:

Dale Sherlock SSS preamp.

Mesa 50/50 Power amp

A couple of TC rack effects.

I am looking at an EQ, preferably parametric, that is rackmount.

I would like to hear people's recommendations and why they chose that piece of kit.

On top of that I would like particularly to hear from people from .au as they will tend to suffer the same limitations in lack of brand availability and a crudddy second dhand market.

Having said that I would like any recommendations or experience's... just will take particular interest in those locally...

• Members

Im over in ol NZ and I just got a rack set up, Sansamp PSA1.1 ada poweramp and a TC electronic G major.

The EQ in the G major makes a HUGE difference to my tone. Its soo versatile. I was looking for a graphic eq or some such then the guys on here told me to try the eq in the G major and im glad I did.

And best part is, compared to other new pieces of gear, its bloody cheap too, with mean effects to boot

• Members

Can I ask how many band is the G-Major's effects? I am being lazy here and should probably look it up..

Also, how do yu have the G-Major hooked into your gear, and whereabouts in the G-Major's chain of effects does the EQ part sit?

thanks alot for the response!

• Members

I have it in my preamps efects loop. Not entirely sure off the top of my head where the eq sits, but its a three band, although, you canb choose the frequency and width of each band. Now when i read three band, i was put off at first, but i was not dissapointed. Its gotten to the point now that if i want to tweak, i just tweak my eq on the g major, as its as easy and broader than tweaking the preamp

• Members

Okay brief setup:

Dale Sherlock SSS preamp.

Mesa 50/50 Power amp

A couple of TC rack effects.

I am looking at an EQ, preferably parametric, that is rackmount.

I would like to hear people's recommendations and why they chose that piece of kit.

On top of that I would like particularly to hear from people from .au as they will tend to suffer the same limitations in lack of brand availability and a crudddy second dhand market.

Having said that I would like any recommendations or experience's... just will take particular interest in those locally...

Discontinued TC Electronic 1140 (Parametric)

DSC00123.JPG

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&u=http://www.videoton.ru/audio/TC_Electronic/1140.html&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=10&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dtc%2Belectronic%2B1140%26start%3D10%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN

TC Electronic 1128 (Graphic)

p26327.jpg

Furman PQ3

b1fa_1.JPG

• Members

Discontinued TC Electronic 1140 (Parametric)

DSC00123.JPG

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&u=http://www.videoton.ru/audio/TC_Electronic/1140.html&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=10&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dtc%2Belectronic%2B1140%26start%3D10%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN

TC Electronic 1128 (Graphic)

p26327.jpg

Furman PQ3

b1fa_1.JPG

Thanks for that, I am guessing that those will be hard to find locally unfortunately... and come with plugs attached... one advantage of modern TC stuff is they are auto sensing on the voltage.. I wish a lot of older stuff was too!... I will check out those TC models but I suspect they are not auto sensing...

• Members

I have it in my preamps efects loop. Not entirely sure off the top of my head where the eq sits, but its a three band, although, you canb choose the frequency and width of each band. Now when i read three band, i was put off at first, but i was not dissapointed. Its gotten to the point now that if i want to tweak, i just tweak my eq on the g major, as its as easy and broader than tweaking the preamp

*nod* three band is normally more than adequate I guess for a parametric but I had to ask :)

• Members

Thanks for that, I am guessing that those will be hard to find locally unfortunately... and come with plugs attached... one advantage of modern TC stuff is they are auto sensing on the voltage.. I wish a lot of older stuff was too!... I will check out those TC models but I suspect they are not auto sensing...

TC Stuff is NOT auto sensing, though they do often have voltage selectors. Ebay is your best bet at finding these. Where are you located??? The discontinued TC stuff was made in Denmark and were US and European compatible. Not sure about the PQ3, but a step up transformer is easy enough to locate. :thu:

• Members

TC Stuff is NOT auto sensing, though they do often have voltage selectors. Ebay is your best bet at finding these. Where are you located??? The discontinued TC stuff was made in Denmark and were US and European compatible. Not sure about the PQ3, but a step up transformer is easy enough to locate.
:thu:

Australia - we are much closer to Euro standards... 240V

• Members

yeah, Aus and NZ is a dead end for rack stuff. Cost me 3K for my small simple rack!

But the options are definitely floating around

Yeah I agree.. its not much consolation here but the 2nd hand market for somethings is not too bad.... But you see craigslist etc .. and the price of stuff like mesa's in the US and just want to cry...

• Members

Yeah. If we want second hand rack stuff here in NZ more often than not we have to look for it on AUS ebay. Guitarist in my band managed to find a used digitech 2101. Thats like finding the holly grail here in nz!

Yeah its also some companies are far over valued new..

its an unfortunate side effect of the distance.. havingg said that there are some few manufacturers whose prices are actually reasonable even for the quality products.. but they are rare.

• Members

Most rack gear in the UK goes for horrendous prices as well, certainly compared to the US.

Another bit of second hand kit that has programmable parametric equalisers is the Alesis Quadraverb. I used to use the GT version with the guitar preamp built in and the effects side was equivalent to a Quadraverb Plus from memory.

It may or may not be available to you at reasonable prices down under but you get several different effect algorithms to choose from, and depending on your choice you get either a 3 band parametric, 5 band parametric or 11 band graphic available to you. Been too long since I played with mine in depth to tell you how good the eq is but it's worth mentioning.

• Members

Okay I will add the quadraverb to the list of items to check out - alesis is a lot easier to find here than TC - I think for some reason in the 90's they acheived a hell of a lot of market penetration here - whereas TC would have been considered more high end.... at least that is my guess... but.. thanks for the reply, something else to think about!

• Members

Thanks for that Zachman, I've already seen it and asked if postage is acceptable from outside the US - as it is US only - but i was told it should be okay if a few conditons can be met... so heres hoping!

• Members

Thanks for that Zachman, I've already seen it and asked if postage is acceptable from outside the US - as it is US only - but i was told it should be okay if a few conditons can be met... so heres hoping!

If you like, I can accept shipping for you and forward it. you pay shipping of course, but that would be no problem.

• Members

If you like, I can accept shipping for you and forward it. you pay shipping of course, but that would be no problem.

Offer is noted and appreciated - I may take you up on that - One of my main concerns was that the seller wanted to send UPS.. which is fine - but normally UPS would cost $150 for something like that compared to USPS $50-60.. and they take about the same time to turn up.

Archived