Speaker Simulator for a Peavey Rockmaster

ck3

• Members

Response to a similar thread in the fx fourm has been limited, so I thought I'd give this forum a try. I recently purchased a Peavey Rockmaster, and it should be in transit soon. My budget will not allow for a power amp, speakers, and mics for recording, and I'm a lazy bastard, so I'd rather go with a speaker simulator. Thus far, the ADA Microcab II and Plamer PDI-09 seem like acceptable cab sim solutions, but I want to make certain that no affordable options are being overlooked.

• Members

Get a Line6 pod 2.0 and run it into that, or the newer pods would work good to

I've owned the first two versions of the POD ... and forgot that the speaker sims can be run indepedently. :o

If I end up going the amp sim/"gerry-rig" route, I'll most likely use my Magicstomp or Behringer GDI21 ... though I was thinking that this would be a temporary fix until I could get a dedicated speaker simulator.

• Members

I've owned both a Microcab I and a Microcab II. I think they both work very well. I've got an MCII for sale if you're interested.

Your Microcab looks to be in immaculate condition, but is priced higher than what I anticipated to pay for one. After doing a quick sweep of eBay, I'm guessing that these used ADA gear appraisals from 3 years ago have become a bit outdated:

http://www.prepal.com/data/ADA.htm

:cry:

• Members

I believe that several Rocktron processors have speaker simulation, including speaker size and mic placement. My Multi-Valve has this, and although I haven't needed it in my current recording environment, it was definitely a selling point.

• Members

If I used a DI box w/ speaker simulation, would it be possible to eliminate the need for a dummy load by using a certain output on the Rockmaster? Also, could I run the following chain without damaging any of my gear?

Ronsound Ring-O-Matic>Subdecay Noise Box>Wobo dual TB loop (A: Boss PS-2 Digital Pitch Shifter/Delay/B: DOD FX86 Death Metal)>Rockmaster(Boss PS-3Digital Pitch Shifter/Delay in loop)>DI box w/ speaker sim>Yamaha Magicstomp(stereo split)>Danelectro Fish'n'Chips EQ on L and Blue MXR 6-band EQ on R> mixer/recording interface or two keyboard amps

... and would I need to use an XLR to 1/4" male cable to make this work with something like a Behringer Ultra G, H&K Redbox, or Palmer PDI-09?

• Members

Get a Line6 pod 2.0 and run it into that, or the newer pods would work good to

The POD2 amp models cannot be turned off. I'd recommend a Behringer V-Amp Pro over it for that reason.

The POD XT is probably better than either, and the prices have probably dropped on used units, since the new POD model (X3) just came out last week.

• Members
hey guy, I have a Rockmaster myself and it already comes equipped with what they call a "frequency compensated output", meaning with that output it does not sound buzzsaw like a normal Line Out. You should give that a shot first to see if it will suffice before spending money on an external simulator.

• Members

The POD2 amp models cannot be turned off. I'd recommend a Behringer V-Amp Pro over it for that reason.

The POD XT is probably better than either, and the prices have probably dropped on used units, since the new POD model (X3) just came out last week.

Doh ... I must have confused the 2.0 with the xt. Either way, I am leary of PODxts. My former xt began to fail shortly after its warranty expired, and Line 6 was not willing to be flexible. :mad:

• Members

The Peavey Rock Master preamp does not have a "freq. compensated output".

Three levels of outputs only.

Jun

Sure it does. It's the XLR output. I've used it.

Here ya go, son: manual link, (pdf)

Peavey Rock Master manual

Quote, from the manual (go ahead. look it up.)

"BALANCED OUTPUT (20)

Provides 600 ohm, transformer balanced signal to be used as "direct"

patch into mixing consoles, tape recorders, etc. The signal at this point has been

frequency compensated for low noise operation."

:p

• Members
I have a pair of preamps (rocktron and ADA) that I use with a peavey classic 50/50 power amp. The classic 50/50 has XLR balanced outputs, but they sound like crap hooked up to a sound board. Are the rockmaster balanced outputs better?

I have the PV 50/50 with my Rock Master and I have never tried the XLR's out of the 50/50 before. I can't remember what the Rock Masters XLR out sounded like vs. an external simulator, but at least the one I have, DMC Cab-Tone, it's not great. I'm going to check things out this weekend, see how they all sound.

• Members

Yo,

Was that last comment necessary?

I tried all three outputs so I knew for a fact the XLR output was not anywhere close to a cab sim.

hey guy, I have a Rockmaster myself and it already comes equipped with what they call a "frequency compensated output",
meaning with that output it does not sound buzzsaw like a normal Line Out
. You should give that a shot first to see if it will suffice before spending money on an external simulator.

Let's see........ you never tried this output but you claim the output does not sound like a buzzsaw. You guessing about something and being completely wrong, I guess is reliable info?

Total BS.

Jun

• Members

Not usable for direct recordings without a cab sim unfortunately.

Unfortunately it's not usable even with a cab sim. A Rockmaster running direct will always sound like ass no matter what other piece of gear you plug it into. A POD or Behringer V-amp pro will stomp the crap out of the Rockmaster for direct recording.

• Members

tat buddy, I said I haven't tried it in YEARS, not never. I couldn't recall. Dude, I supplied a link to the Peavey manual and quoted their description of that output. It completely backed up what I originally said=reliable info. You come in with, "nope, doesn't have it." You are completely wrong. And I never said it has a "cab simulator". I used their term, frequency compensated. You act like I'm making {censored} up.

Anyway, I recorded- 1.)1/4" out of Rockmaster 2.) XLR out of Rockmaster 3.) 1/4" out of Rockmaster into DMC Cab-Tone simulator open back & 4x12 settings, and 4.) Classic 50/50 XLR out, then I listened back through headphones.

I'll say this: the RM XLR does do something, I wouldn't say it's buzzsaw but I can see where you might say that. It isn't simulating a cab, it's making it less like a can of bees. Which in a pinch could be handy. The XLR out of the RM is somewhere in between straight 1/4" out (buzz) and the Cab-Tone sim. Unusable? ck3 can decide for himself, but it is certainly better than straight 1/4" out.

For that other guy, the XLR out of the 50/50 did no filtering that I heard, sounded totally buzzy, like a straight 1/4" out, even though the manual says it has the frequency compensation such as the RM XLR.

Anyway, what I originally replied is correct: the RM has a frequency compensated output.

• Members

Unfortunately it's not usable even with a cab sim. A Rockmaster running direct will always sound like ass no matter what other piece of gear you plug it into. A POD or Behringer V-amp pro will stomp the crap out of the Rockmaster for direct recording.

Which cab simulators have you used with the Rockmaster?

• Members

I'll say this: the RM XLR does do something, I wouldn't say it's buzzsaw but I can see where you
might
say that. It isn't simulating a cab, it's making it less like a can of bees. Which in a pinch could be handy. The XLR out of the RM is
somewhere in between
straight 1/4" out (buzz) and the Cab-Tone sim. Unusable? ck3 can decide for himself, but it is certainly better than straight 1/4" out.

I'll bet that one of my EQ pedals could sculpt the tone enough to make it usable ... at least until the point that I can afford something better. Has anyone ever tried to filter any of the Rockmaster's outs through the CIT cab modeling on Digitech X-series pedals? I've been contemplating the purchase of a Digiverb to use both as a cab simulator and reverb unit.

• Members

tat buddy, I said I haven't tried it in YEARS, not never. I couldn't recall. Dude, I supplied a link to the Peavey manual and quoted their description of that output. It completely backed up what I originally said=reliable info. You come in with, "nope, doesn't have it." You are completely wrong. And I never said it has a "cab simulator". I used their term, frequency compensated. You act like I'm making {censored} up.

Anyway, I recorded- 1.)1/4" out of Rockmaster 2.) XLR out of Rockmaster 3.) 1/4" out of Rockmaster into DMC Cab-Tone simulator open back & 4x12 settings, and 4.) Classic 50/50 XLR out, then I listened back through headphones.

I'll say this: the RM XLR does do something, I wouldn't say it's buzzsaw but I can see where you
might
say that. It isn't simulating a cab, it's making it less like a can of bees. Which in a pinch could be handy. The XLR out of the RM is
somewhere in between
straight 1/4" out (buzz) and the Cab-Tone sim. Unusable? ck3 can decide for himself, but it is certainly better than straight 1/4" out.

For that other guy, the XLR out of the 50/50 did no filtering that I heard, sounded totally buzzy, like a straight 1/4" out, even though the manual says it has the frequency compensation such as the RM XLR.

Anyway, what I originally replied is correct: the RM has a frequency compensated output.

Dude, did you miss the post where I was man enough to admitted my mistake? How many time do you need to rub it in?

As I explained, the 'RM XLR doing something' is simply rolling off some highs with a cap and resistor, same as using a low pass filter on a graphic EQ, about 3-5k.

The XLR output direct is 100% unusable even 'in a pinch'. A POD, V-amp or J-station is a better backup solution.

In fact it's probably a better recording solution that trying to use a cheap cab sim with the Rock Master.

Jun

Archived