Lexicon MPX G2

petejt

• Members

Is this unit any good? I know that Lexicon is a reputable company.

I want to get a G-System, but I saw this one & its pedalboard switcher in a local music shop. The salesman there said I'd be better off with a G-Major (which I don't want).

No matter what I get, I know I'll need a separate looper/switcher so I can switch channels & simulclass/class A & fx loop & eq on my MarkIV, plus two extra loops for amp/effect routing. I do need more loops though for in front of other amps.

Will Lexicon's pedalboard switcher control something else like a DMC GCX switcher?

I noticed that the MPX G2 has chorus. I don't really need chorus since I already have multiple methods of creating that effect. Does this unit have many other effects that are decent?

I can't remember the cost, but I could buy both the effect unit and switcher (it also has an expression pedal) in a snap.

Or am I better off with the G-System, which would be more expensive, & shipping costs.

• Members

The MPX-G2 sounds great, far getter than the G-System imo.

The problems with it are:

1. When you send it a Program Change you get 1-2 seconds of bypass before it kicks back in with effect. (That's the Achilles heel of all the Lexicon gear imo.

- That is why they gave you the A/B function. Set it up to hit the A/B switch on the foot controller to change sounds within a song and any subtle effects changes use instant access switches.

2. If you want to run it without its matching foot controller the A/B function due to it being sysex doesn't work unless you midi-map it to a program change.

The Lexicon switcher would control a GCX but if I remember correctly it would be an instant access only thing.

The Lexicon's phaser is incredible. It's distortion block is great too. (It's set up with an analog clipping stages so it still feels and sounds like the distortions it's modeling with the tone shaping being digital) It's also worth mentioning the wah gives most real pedals a run for their money.

Due to its limitations you're better with something that loads faster like a G Maj in parallel (for delay/reverb) with pedals(for modulations and distortions) because though good the G2 isn't as good as the real deal for any of its effects with the exception beings its impeccable reverb.

• Members

The MPX-G2 sounds great, far getter than the G-System imo.

The problems with it are:

1. When you send it a Program Change you get 1-2 seconds of bypass before it kicks back in with effect. (That's the Achilles heel of all the Lexicon gear imo.

- That is why they gave you the A/B function. Set it up to hit the A/B switch on the foot controller to change sounds within a song and any subtle effects changes use instant access switches.

2. If you want to run it without its matching foot controller the A/B function due to it being sysex doesn't work unless you midi-map it to a program change.

The Lexicon switcher would control a GCX but if I remember correctly it would be an instant access only thing.

The Lexicon's phaser is incredible. It's distortion block is great too. (It's set up with an analog clipping stages so it still feels and sounds like the distortions it's modeling with the tone shaping being digital) It's also worth mentioning the wah gives most real pedals a run for their money.

Due to its limitations you're better with something that loads faster like a G Maj in parallel (for delay/reverb) with pedals(for modulations and distortions) because though good the G2 isn't as good as the real deal for any of its effects with the exception beings its impeccable reverb.

Thanks very much for your help :thu: .

It's crucial that there is no latency in changing effects, and being able to MIDI control other devices as exactly as I want. Fussy I am I know :) . It's just that I like stuff to happen right then and there.

I think I'll keep considering the G-System.

Meanwhile though, I am curious about the chorus effects in the MPX G2. What is it like?

• Members

Sounds like a CE-1.

You've picked your sacrifice of sound quality in exchange for the convenience of an all in one box and speed of loading.

I really wish I could have done that but what I'm getting now sounds far better than the G-System when I tried it with my rig.

Now that I have something that loads instantly for reverb(TC M3000) and a delay on the way (D-Two) I'm thinking about adding a G2 because the time based effects are already taken care of. If I load presets for it between songs and use it to fill in gaps in the pedals that I'm not going to buy rather than use it all the time I should be able to work around the problems.

• Members

You've picked your sacrifice of sound quality in exchange for the convenience of an all in one box and speed of loading.

I really wish I could have done that but what I'm getting now sounds far better than the G-System when I tried it with my rig.

Now that I have something that loads instantly for reverb(TC M3000) and a delay on the way (D-Two) I'm thinking about adding a G2 because the time based effects are already taken care of. If I load presets for it between songs and use it to fill in gaps in the pedals that I'm not going to buy rather than use it all the time I should be able to work around the problems.

Well, surely the G-System ain't that bad? TC Electronic is a reputable company.

I love the CE-1 sound but I already have more than enough chorusing effects methods (as listed in my signature), so that isn't necessary for another effects device. I also have a delay pedal, so any extra delay effects of any quality is a bonus. I like that the G-System has a large bunch of effects and also will handle the different types of switching I need (effect patches, loops, function switches, amp channel switching, MIDI etc.), and of course takes pedals.

It's just that the MPX G2 is virtually down the road from where I live- no need for expensive ordering. I wish the MPX had more easy and multiple switching.

• Members

There is no satisfactory all in one system except maybe an Axe FX Ultra, I never heard it as JUST an effects box but I didn't care for the amp models personally.

The problem with any all in one box is if it fails you're {censored}ed. Not only that, with any all in one system you're sacrificing something. It's really easy for those to become obsolete when somebody else comes out with something that sacrifices less.

My issues with the G-System is that I didn't feel I could trust the foot controller for the G-System and all doubt on the sound quality was removed from my mind when I heard a properly designed "modular type" rack in person.

The G-System sacrifices tweak-ability for simplicity. I believe the sound quality is on par with a G-Major.

• Members

There is no satisfactory all in one system except maybe an Axe FX Ultra, I never heard it as JUST an effects box but I didn't care for the amp models personally.

The problem with any all in one box is if it fails you're {censored}ed. Not only that, with any all in one system you're sacrificing something. It's really easy for those to become obsolete when somebody else comes out with something that sacrifices less.

My issues with the G-System is that I didn't feel I could trust the foot controller for the G-System and all doubt on the sound quality was removed from my mind when I heard a properly designed "modular type" rack in person.

The G-System sacrifices tweak-ability for simplicity. I believe the sound quality is on par with a G-Major.

For me-- There came a point in time that I was facing the truth, re: what I expected from my gear. The truth was a bitter pill to swallow. The truth was-- I came to terms with the fact that I had/have specific requirements/desires and particular preferences for what I wanted from my gear-- and it turned out that my preferences were VERY expensive, and NOTHING else on the market was satisfactory--because 'good enough' didn't/couldn't cut it.

I realized that if I wanted a Vox AC30 sound, I should use an AC30, a Twin, Marshall Super Lead, Mesa MKIII, Lexicon Reverb, Eventide, TC 2290 etc... That anything OTHER than those devices, had me realizing that I was settling (which most people seem to convince themselves, is reaching THE goal).... Well for me-- it wasn't even close to reaching MY goal, so I made it a goal to plan 1st, save-- and strategically purchase the necessary gear to make my dream rig into a reality. It took a LONG time, but in the end, I learned that by me going the route of the 'good enough is good enough' crowd-- I spent way more money than I would have, had I not cut corners in the 1st place.

• Members

Someone as neurotic regarding gear as I would say so.

Using an all in one box like the G-System sacrifices tweak-ability and sound quality compared to a modular system where you can take the best in pedal effects (ie: Roland CE-1, Script Phase 90) and use them along side the best in rack effects (ie: Zackman's 2290 and Eventide H8000FW)

It comes down to what you want and expect out of your effects.

• Members

Are you suggesting that I would be cutting corners?

No, not at all. I know I have been guilty of misinterpreting others' comments because I was tired of swatting many trolls, but honestly-- I meant NO disrespect at all, nor was I suggesting what you're doing is sub-par at all.

I hope you believe me. It was never my intention to offend. If I have, you have my sincere apology.

• Members

Someone as neurotic as Zackman
or I would say so.

Using an all in one box like the G-System sacrifices tweak-ability and sound quality compared to a modular system where you can take the best in pedal effects (ie: Roland CE-1, Script Phase 90) and use them along side the best in rack effects (ie: Zackman's 2290 and Eventide H8000FW)

:(

• Members

No, not at all. I know I have been guilty of misinterpreting others' comments because I was tired of swatting many trolls, but honestly-- I meant NO disrespect at all, nor was I suggesting what you're doing is sub-par at all.

I hope you believe me. It was never my intention to offend. If I have, you have my sincere apology.

No way Zach! No way at all mate! :)

I know what you're really like, and you're definitely not an arsehole :thu:

• Members

Exactly. :)

• Members

I love the MPX G2, even with its limitations it still is a great sounding fx unit. guess thats why i bought two of them. great sounding effects, lots of deep tweakability ...

I did some comparisons with an AXE FX ultra and the G2 still holds its own against the AXE FX which is a great multi fx with lots of power.

• Members

I love the MPX G2, even with its limitations it still is a great sound fx unit. guess thats why i bought two of them. great sounding effects, lots of deep tweakability ...

I did some comparisons with an AXE FX ultra and the G2 still holds its own against the AXE FX which is a great multi fx with lots of power.

Cool. :)

• Members

The effects are the same. The only advantages are the ability to put them anyway in the signal chain and the expansion of the sounds to include pedal models for pre-gain.

If anything the load time is worse. It's been forever since I've used an MPX1 but the G2 has nearly a second or more depending on how complicated the program is.

Archived