Who here runs a wet/dry setup?

• Members

I've been toying with the idea of running a dry center amp and a wet left/right stereo speaker cab setup (using a different amp) on each side. I know Steve Morse and Carl Verheyen use a wet/dry setup. It's more equipment and hassle to set up so...

Anybody do this and is it really worth the effort as opposed to simply running a two speaker stereo setup with wet and dry mixed together? Is the difference in sound that huge? :confused:

• Members

I've been toying with the idea of running a dry center amp and a wet left/right stereo speaker cab setup (using a different amp) on each side. I know Steve Morse and Carl Verheyen use a wet/dry setup. It's more equipment and hassle to set up so...

Anybody do this and is it really worth the effort as opposed to simply running a two speaker stereo setup with wet and dry mixed together? Is the difference in sound that huge?
:confused:

The difference is HUGE. The benefits also are: more "options" for you.

Here is a video of Bob Bradshaw discussing my W/D/W rig. Perhaps it'll give you some answers and ideas.

Using this setup if I want a vintage guitar to amp sound, I can, then be able to switch to a more hi-fi sound w/d/w or to run stereo with the press of a button, adding pedals in front of the amp, processors through the wet section of the rig or both.

[YOUTUBE]CdHwhMzJbeo[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I was afraid you might say something like that.
:lol:

:eek:
Wow...thanks for the clip. I probably (never say never, though) wouldn't want two different effects mixes, but your rig sounds really great.

Bradshaw lost me at points in his explanation, but I would definitely try it out now.

Thanks for the info!
:)
Carl

You're welcome, and best of luck with your rig. :thu:

Here is an audio clip of the rig:

http://www.netmusicians.org/files/76-zach%20rack%20tales.mp3

NAMMpicscropped020.jpg

• Members

Yep, I run W/D/W... my usual gig setup is fairly compact though - my wet sounds come from a stereo 2x12 cab, while the dry is a 4x12 sat on top of them. I know I could get more separation if I took more cabs, but a lot of venues just aren't big enough for that, and once it's all mic'd up it sounds pretty kick-ass and huge anyway! Other than the cabs I have an 8U rack, with 2 heads on top of it, and my pedalboard.

• Members

If it's all mic'ed, wouldn't you need 3 mics?

Dry, L, and R?

Yes,

OR

2 Mics on the Dry cabinet... 1 to the console for the Dry sound the other to feed a mixer which feeds the mic'd amp sound into the line level effects, and send THAT signal from your mixers L/R output to the FOH or recording console.

• Members

Yep, I run W/D/W... my usual gig setup is fairly compact though - my wet sounds come from a stereo 2x12 cab, while the dry is a 4x12 sat on top of them. I know I could get more separation if I took more cabs, but a lot of venues just aren't big enough for that, and once it's all mic'd up it sounds pretty kick-ass and huge anyway! Other than the cabs I have an 8U rack, with 2 heads on top of it, and my pedalboard.

pics? please? :)

i would love to see your rig!

-PJ

• Members

Does it count if you mix your W and D together?

I'm running a few preamps simultaneously into a "dry" submix, then that signal gets split into effects processors and they meet back up at a master mix (well, they will as soon as I get that that second mixer). I'm running two 2x12's so I could hard pan the W and D but I find it's not quite so satisfying.

• Members

pics? please?
:)

i would love to see your rig!

-PJ

My rig's currently in two places due to a small gig on Friday night, but I'll be taking the whole thing to rehearsal on Sunday, so I'll try and get some pictures then... of course, it's still a little bit in transition, with a GRX4, a Suhr ISO Line-Out box and a Rolls line mixer on order, and more to come as and when :) Of course, now I need a 12u rack case!

• Members

If it's all mic'ed, wouldn't you need 3 mics?

Dry, L, and R?

Yes, although I tend to use four (SM57 and E606 on the dry cab, SM57's on each side of the wet one) and then use my little submixer (Mackie DFX6) to send a stereo feed to the desk, and a feed to my in ear monitors.

Archived