New LED fixture . . . . . BRIGHT!

BillESC

• Members

bill

These look great. I would be very interested in them..but back to my statement in a previous post...as far as brightness at what point is it overkill for the average weekend warrior like myself with the smaller stages. Someone made a point to me that you could always dim them if they were too bright and use them at their full potential if the need should arise....but if money is an issue then you also have to look at ROI.....I could buy 2 ADJ LED 64 Pro's for every 1 of these....so would it be better to go with say 2 of these per side compared to 4 of the ADJ LED 64 PRO's for a small stage bar room set-up max stage size up to 15x30?? (just considering front lighting for sake of comparison?)

thanks bill

• Members

This is a difficult question with no set in stone answers.

I've been lighting stages both large and small for over 40 years and there are two maximums I live by... coverage and intensity.

Coverage is just that, creating the ability for the audience to see the entire stage. This can be done with a bunch of smaller fixtures or one or two high intensity fixtures. Both have their merits.

Intensity is only achievable with high output fixtures, no number of lesser fixtures can offer the dramatic E.T. effect.

Perhaps a combination is the best road to travel.

• Members

thought that might be the answer as I typed the last sentence...but does make sense...variety is good...Intensity/coverage coupled with accent/fill....but how hard would it be to interface say the ADJ 64 pro's and the 330 you will have available using the dmx controll?

• Members

well a company called ETC has a fixture called the source 4 par. Cool thing about the source 4 is that there are 5 different angles it can project at. 4 of the angles use a lens in front and then of course no lens at all. If you have some distance between the LED and lens, and you use a wider lens with more difraction, you will not see all the individual leds (red red red... blue blue blue..), but rather the mixture of them (purple...purple ). the effect looks a bit like the lens is "glowing" the right color, rather then the "uglyness" of the leds them self.

this was all tested and pictures where taken showing this. I will see if I can find the thread.

• Members

Here is a pic of an LED can with a ETC Source Four Par lens held in front. This is the can all on, and you see a basically white color from the can, not just the individual red, blue, and green LEDs.

11-white.jpg

Here is a pic of the can with the lens installed

0000-can3.jpg

Craig

• Members

This looks a lot like a LED Parcan from Elation from the looks of it.

It's a direct copy of the shell of an ETC Source 4 par can. I did actually have a demo of a unit that looked exactly the same as this whilst in Dubai. The output was complete rubbish so I can only assume it had 1 watt LED's in. 3 is better but they do look ugly as hell in a rig.

If you could diffuse it somehow, then it might work very well but I have to say I have had loads of problems diffusing LED's are they have such a hotspot that even heavy diffusion doesn't hide the LED from view..

The question remains. If it's easy to diffuse, then why don't the manufacturers come up with a diffusion shield that simply gives you a smooth wash of colours. The answer is probably because nobody has worked out how to do it properly yet..

Regards..

Rimmer

• Members

A lens set will be available as an option.

I guess the possibility also exists to have an "extender" to move the lens away if need be.

I look forward to see these in action. This may be the step I needed to jump in to led lighting.

• Members

There should be no need for an extender. The optional lenses will be supplied by Altman Stage Lighting and were developed for their Spectra Par LED fixture series. They are specially coated lenses and will work in close proximity to the LEDs.

Here's a pic of one installed on an Altman Spectra Par.

BacoImage.asp?Table=Items&Col=Picture&Fi

• Members

A new LED fixture will be available by years end.

The LED-330 features 30 - 3w LEDs and has accessory holders built into the front for barn doors, snoots, beam shaping lenses, etc.

Thanks for the info! I'll be curious to read you review of the fixture, when it enters the market.

• Members

A lens set will be available as an option.

But. I still don't see how a normal lens will get rid of hotspotting when your actually looking at the fixture. I think that's one of the downfalls of LED par cans. You look at them and they look ugly. You try and diffuse them but no level of diffusion at that proximity to the LED's themselves (and those are big LEDs) will get rid of the actually image of the LED's themselves.

If LED par cans are going to come of age, they have to by providing a proper wash of proper colour mixing and not look like a bag of candy. They have to offer diffusion so you can get a proper colour at close proximity..

Regards, Rimmer

• Members

While they may not diffuse properly, that's not even a huge issue when you start talking about the level of bands that are looking at such a product. If we're playing a 100-capacity bar, I need illumination so that the patrons are aware there's a band playing in that particular corner. It doesn't matter to me if the diffusion is perfect, or if you can see the LEDs, or if there's a bit of a halo around the edge. What matters is that they illuminate the band. For a large show, yes, I can see those as being problems... and that's why large shows are still using plain ol' Par cans.

This same exact setup but with 3W white LEDs instead of an array of colors, and a nice sized gel frame up front, seems like it'd be more like what you're looking for. But like I said, for a bar band, a fixture that has color changing/blending capabilities (so you only need a few of them), is bright (so you only need a few of them), and doesn't blow every breaker in the house when fired up, that's a great thing. If someone in the crowd doesn't like the fact that we don't get a great yellow/orange blend... well, I'll be pretty damn well surprised!

• Members

But like I said, for a bar band, a fixture that has color changing/blending capabilities (so you only need a few of them), is bright (so you only need a few of them), and doesn't blow every breaker in the house when fired up, that's a great thing.

Exactly! Couldn't have said it better...

J

• Members

While they may not diffuse properly, that's not even a huge issue when you start talking about the level of bands that are looking at such a product. If we're playing a 100-capacity bar, I need illumination so that the patrons are aware there's a band playing in that particular corner. It doesn't matter to me if the diffusion is perfect, or if you can see the LEDs, or if there's a bit of a halo around the edge. What matters is that they illuminate the band. For a large show, yes, I can see those as being problems... and that's why large shows are still using plain ol' Par cans.

This same exact setup but with 3W white LEDs instead of an array of colors, and a nice sized gel frame up front, seems like it'd be more like what you're looking for. But like I said, for a bar band, a fixture that has color changing/blending capabilities (so you only need a few of them), is bright (so you only need a few of them), and doesn't blow every breaker in the house when fired up, that's a great thing. If someone in the crowd doesn't like the fact that we don't get a great yellow/orange blend... well, I'll be pretty damn well surprised!

Sure. Most bands and punters don't really notice a hell of a lot unless it's really bad or really good.

There is a science behind my thinking though. Theatre shows are usually designed so you don't see the lights (on the stage mainly) but many rock and roll gigs use truss system designs and lights as part of the set. In this case, LED fixtures that have their loads of dots of light on show in a theatre show wouldn't look so cool at all, most of the time, creating more of a visual effect of their own, which wouldn't really suit most shows that have sets that aren't related to looking like a gig.

IMO, many of the units that have LED's on show in little clusters have the ability to change the way a stage looks. This is why I think they need some sort of diffusion as they look ugly (generally speaking) in place of a par can.

We'll see what happens as time moves on. I'm hoping for some proper diffusion so you see a plain wash of light instead of all those RGB dots..

Regards. Rimmer

Music shows h

• 2 weeks later...

Archived