Anyone using a cheap mini-laptop for their DMX software ?

blackeyed28

• Members

currently, i use freestyler to program my elation DMX partner (DMX recorder/playback) so i dont have to take my nice laptop to the gigs.

but, i'm considering one of those acer mini-laptops (walmart for $300, ebay for ~$250) and just bringing it to the gig and using freestyler. it has 1Gb of memory and a 1.6Ghz processor.

does anyone do this ?? is this going to work ?? it seems like it should work fine.

• Members

It should work fine, as long as the specs meet the minimum specs. In my astrophysics class we're currently using the Dell version of the 9" one to control a main camera, an autoguider camera, and the telescope positional control all at once. We log in to the netbooks (little computers) that are outside from the lab computers inside with remote desktop. They perform very well - so they should do just fine with freestyler.

• Members

FYI, dell is running a 1 day special on their inspiron mini 9. $199 stock (500Mb memory), ...or $224 with 1Gb memory.

the only downside is that it comes with ubuntu linux, ..so if you wanted XP, you would have to reinstall it yourself. it also has a solid state hard drive (flash), ..which seems like a downside at 4Gb, ..but the upside is a few more hours of battery life, ..which may come in handy for DMX purposes.

Archived