Pics from last night

• Members

I got to see one of them today in person. They're pretty heavy duty, and the connections are all on pigtails (so that they're weatherproof). Addressing is digital on the side of the fixture, and enclosed in a clear rubber covering. I can imagine that with a frosted diffuser over the front, they'd still be quite bright.

We're working on figuring out the best way to mount them onto a truss, and we're going to try three across the front of the stage, and we're probably going to try one at each corner of the stage and one above the drum riser pointed nearly straight down.

They do have some built-in programs, including fades, strobes, and chases, though I don't believe the chases will link together like with a series of Colorstrips. Not a big loss there, since those chases are really designed for audience eye candy, and I don't think you'd want to point one of these at the audience.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hey burdizzos, we should leave our current rig hanging off the bottom of the truss, and the new stuff on top of the truss, and switch 'em back and forth... or go balls-out with the whiteout preset.

:facepalm:

No thanks. I'm not trying to go blind.

• Members

I've sent an email requesting the connectors make and model. It will be probably 12 to 24 hours before I receive the answer due to the time difference.

I generally email live with my rep Lillian at 11:00 PM.

• Members

Gotcha. Is there another source for those adapter cables or are they extremely rare?

I want to get the fixtures ready to go for this weekend, but I don't think I'm going to be able to mount them close enough together to utilize the installed link cables.

• Members

I probably will not have these lights ready to go this weekend. There's jus too much going on. I don't really want to rush the setup and programming just to have to do it all again next week to get it right.

I just mapped out my DMX settings, and I'm going to be using 151 DMX channels with this new setup. This is going to be a total pain in the ass to program, but it should look really good.

I've mounted the 420Bs to the sections of truss that I will be using.

So I'll have three 420Bs on the front truss pointed at the band with an ADJ Sunray and Two LED Aggressors pointed at the dance floor.

On the rear truss, I'll have 8 Color Splash Jrs pointed down at the band along with 2 Vue IIs and 2 Vue 1.1s shooting toward the dancefloor.

This should result in a much cleaner look than our existing setup and it will be brighter and offer far more looks.

Once I get it all organized and programmed, I'll have to figure out how to get 6 sections of truss in the trailer along with the rest of our crap.

I'm guessing that it will take me no less than 12 hours to nail this down. :facepalm:

• Members

I figured you'd put all three of the new strips on the same channel, since I can't see much of a need for them to be running individually. Seems like that'd speed things up a lot. Similarly, each mirrored Colorsplash Jr could easily share a channel (the pair on the ends, the 2nd from the end pair, the 3rd from the end pair, etc).

Or maybe you've already considered this and it still uses 151 channels.

• Members

I may knock it down a bit. I'd like to have everything on its own channel so I can maximize the system, but it will make programming a total pain in the ass.

I want the three front units to be independent so I can do contrasting washes on the stage as I currently do with the pile of LED par cans.

I'm thinking about getting one more JR so I can put them in sets of three. That way there'd be three JRs on each section of the rear truss and I could program them to simulate movement.

• Members

What a pain in the ass.

It took all freakin' day yesterday to change everything out.

On the upside, everything works and looks really good.

Also, I was able to comfortably fit all six sections of truss in the trailer and because the new fixtures are so much smaller than the catastrophe of LED pars that I was previously using, I have far more room in the trailer.

This should result in a much cleaner look and it will be brighter.

The Amber LEDs really make these fixtures look better, but the colors don't seem as cold as the other LED fixtures that I had been using.

I guess tonight will be the real world test to see how it looks live.

• Members

We're playing tonight at the same place this picture was from:

TGs.jpg

We'll have a better camera tonight, but it'll give you an idea of the difference in looks both with the truss itself and the light output.

I think we've got some video of the old setup at this place too.

• Members

In the pictures, we're using three LED420B fixtures (one on each piece of truss on the front, spaced pretty much evenly, so there's one in front of each performer), and that's all for front lighting. In the back we've got eight Colorsplash Jrs, and in the center of the back, two Vue IIs and two Vue Is pointed out onto the floor. On the front truss we also have two Aggressors pointed at the dance floor, and a Sunray in the center.

The LED420Bs are the only things actually doing any illumination of the stage. The things are crazy bright. Two would probably be sufficient for most bands. They're brighter than our old rig by quite a ways, and look better, with more interesting internal programs.

• Members

And they look awesome when I kick the controller to sound active.

For the average band that is just looking to improve the look of the stage and set themselves apart from every other group of hacks out there, a pair of 420Bs, an obey 10 and an FCB-1010.

That should be under $1400 and it will make for a great looking stage.

Our setup is clearly overkill, but that's our goal.

• Members

tgsss2.jpg

I love that one. It looks like we've opened up the gates to heaven or something on that stage. And apparently, when the gates of heaven open up, you'll hear the Cha-Cha Slide.

I have another one where the stage is invisible because it's so bright.

Archived