LED Pars + Colorstrips + Scans = My Humble First Rig

• Members

(now with photos)

I just put together my first light rig and had it out for a little fest we run.

8 Wiedamark LED Par 64

2 ADJ Pocket Scans

2 Colorstrips mounted to mic stand bases on speaker stacks for front wash

Enttec Open DMX w/ Freestyler

MBT HZ-300 hazer

lots to learn, but it was really fun! Here are some photos:

brightmoondawg.jpg

bryanyelling.jpg

colorstrip.jpg

manfort.jpg

pinkmoondawg.jpg

scotty2.jpg

The tent we were under - big white canvas for colors and projecting video

glowsticks.jpg

Finally, the ultimate application for your cheap lightie-uppie eq:

6050_927875802430_13940767_55186572.jpg

• Members

There are diffuser gels over the PARs - kind of a frosty clear so it all looks less Lite-Brite.

Freestyler is running the whole back truss with my laptop and the Enttec Open DMX/USB dongle. It works really well for the most part. In the three days, I think we completely lost signal to the lights once or twice and had to restart. I didn't have any other apps running on the laptop.

The Colorstrips were running on a cheap little DMX mixer because I can't get them to do any RGB color mixing with my setup - they will flash....sometimes rapidly and sometimes once every two minutes. Anyway, this setup gave me front wash when DMX signal was lost with Freestyler so the stage didn't blackout mid-song.

Thanks for the comments, everyone

• Members

I like your rig, except for the Pocket Scans. I used to have 4 of them and got rid of them after the first time I used them... 100 watts just didn't hack it and the laser was worthless.

I have 35 or so of the Wiedamarks and love them! Good choice! I see you're from Southern MN... I'm from Northern. Nice pictures too... Kudos!

I did the video for Wiedamarks web site seen below:

• Members

Just to clarify, I'm not knocking the Pocket Scans...

I run 6 in my rig, well mostly 6 since the 5th one likes to do whatever it want's 50% of the time - no matter how hard I hit it... :facepalm:

Depending on the color combination, they hold their own against 16 Par56 LED cans...

l_f8e2068995784356be124c790c60b511.jpg

But after another 8 LED cans, they were getting drowned...

l_e4f156effd904cf2960ad36849079f7b.jpg

I would like to acquire more, but they are selling for ridiculous $$$ on Ebay... More now than when I bought them in 2002... Lame...

• Members

I inherited the Pocket Scans from a friend who quit lighting, so the price was definately right. Tyrone - you really get the most out of those cans! Lots of cool programming ideas on your video.

Bigger, better scanners or moving lights would be great - but I think it will have to be LED. Right now, I'm enjoying drawing off one circuit for the whole rig...and this is often a requirement, unfortunately.

Archived