Truss options without breaking the bank.

newmaxnew

• Members

I currently have 4 colorstrips, 4 LED rain 56, 2 SCX 500, TRI Pearl and some regular PAR 56 lights.

I would like to get a small truss setup for back lighting and then use my two trees for some front lighting. Global truss is just too expensive for me right now. Would the ADJ Dura truss support my LED fixtures and the SCX 500 scanners?

Max

• Members

Yes, all day long. Keep in mind, you'll have to buy Dura Truss Clamps as normal O clamps will not work.

It all depends on the weight you are putting on both the truss and the stands (if you are planning on using stands).

Wind up stands have different weight loading depending on their height as does truss (by length) depending on the point (fixing point) that is closest to it, and how many points you have per given length of truss.

Judging how much weight you can put on two windup stands, at a 4 meter height with a 6 meter truss length say, is a very different calculation than putting two stands at 4 meters with a 3 meter length of truss. Where you put the stands from truss edge to edge changes things, dramatically...

If you want to work out what truss to buy. Start with the heaviest load you are likely to put in the middle of the truss, between two points and buy the next capable truss upwards. This gives you the flexibility to move your fixtures around the truss to suit the design. Also remember that the cable to supply the power and data to the fixtures should be part of your weight calculations.

I actually checked out the ADj truss you mentioned with some online retailers and non of them mentioned some of these topics, which I think is appalling. Truss is a structural device as is stands and should be bought through mathematical calculation first and foremost.

Remember also, if a truss offers more weight per length than a more expensive truss, then it's probably the one to buy. Truss, certainly in the Uk, is very well regulated for weight as well at the quality of the welds so paying twice the amount for a truss system that offers the same weight loading is probably a mistake unless the truss design itself offers you something specific to your requirements.

Regards. Rimmer

• Members

I currently have 4 colorstrips, 4 LED rain 56, 2 SCX 500, TRI Pearl and some regular PAR 56 lights.

I would like to get a small truss setup for back lighting and then use my two trees for some front lighting. Global truss is just too expensive for me right now. Would the ADJ Dura truss support my LED fixtures and the SCX 500 scanners?

Max

I'd recommend the DuraTruss... However... Just a side note, my nice new shiny ADJ-DT from January, is no longer nice and shiny after a few months of living my trailer... It has oxidized on the surface...

• Members

The Dura Truss spans only 10' and the stands crank to a little over 9'. ADJ rates it for 200 pounds which the OP is not exceeding given his list.

Ah. Is it a kit then? Thought it was 'buy by the length stuff'.

Regards. Rimmer

Archived