Amonstar?

RoadRanger

• Members

Anybody using the Amonstar lighting?

http://electronics.shop.ebay.com/Lighting-Effects-/12922/i.html?_catref=1&_fln=1&_ipg=&_ssn=amonstar&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

I just got one of these in and it seems pretty good:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290360931206

32W, 177 10mm LEDs, 7ch

Output is bright, fairly good edges, good white, not "splotchy", decent build quality, arrived in 2 weeks.

I'm thinkin' of 4 for minimal front lighting of a band with a couple fixed blue backlights. I'm new to DMX and can't seem to find a controller that does what I want - I want 12 individually assignable faders, 3 for each fixture, and a master dimmer. Maybe even two sets of twelve I can fade between? The cheap controllers seem to only want to do one fixture at a time? Am I missing something?

• Members
Any seller that has a demo video of a fixture that has LEDs out already is completely out of the question in my book. For just a bit more, you can get any one of a number of other brands, all of which have US warranty service, which is a must in my book.

As I wasn't interested in the strobe function I didn't notice that on the video - that is pretty poor of them :(. So, who sells one with "US warranty service" "for just a bit more" :)?

• Members

... which didn't function in DMX mode. They sent me a new IC board (lucky I knew how to install it) but it still didn't work properly. I had to file a complaint with e-bay to get them to send me a new fixture. Still hasn't arrived, and I'm not doing any more business with them.

• Members

As I wasn't interested in the strobe function I didn't notice that on the video - that is pretty poor of them
:(
. So, who sells one with "US warranty service" "for just a bit more"
:)
?

Irradiant, Chauvet, ADJ, and so forth all have products that, if you search on eBay or call a dealer, you can get for a very good price. Irradiant PAR64s with 10mm LEDs can be had for as low as 90 bucks + shipping. And you may say that's a lot of money, but if LEDs start to die, it's good to have a warranty to fall back on.

Generally, if a product is that cheap, there's a reason it's that cheap.

I still don't understand why even if their product is that bad the seller used a fixture that came with bad LEDs out of the box to do their product demo. That's really unprofessional.

• Members
I still don't understand why even if their product is that bad the seller used a fixture that came with bad LEDs out of the box to do their product demo. That's really unprofessional.

Just for yucks I emailed them on that and after a couple back and forths to overcome the language barrier they edited out the parts that showed the burned out LEDs - guess it was too much trouble to re-shoot with a working light :lol:. Actually if you look closely at the photo's in various colors you can see the same burned out LED's :facepalm:.

• Members
I bought a laser from them which didn't function in DMX mode.

Hmm... I don't have a DMX controller yet so can't test that functionality :(. I was gonna buy one of their $83 controllers but I think for what I want to do a two scene theater type controller like a Chauvet Stage Designer 50 would be better. I just want to be able to fade between different static manually set up color scenes.

• Members
Yes, many of the circuit boards have cold solder joints. Re-soldering will generally bring back an LED that is out. I've had to do this more than once, but having a handful of extra LEDs is nice too.

I wuz thinkin' cracked circuit board as it's 3 leds of the same color physically adjacent that go on and off together as you press down on any one. Anyways I'll take a look today and see if I can fix it :). I've got a new Chauvet Stage Designer 50 DMX controller coming in I paid $150 shipped for. I'm more interested in slow fades between manual scenes than flashy DJ stuff so thought I'd start with this controller. 12 faders should be OK as I'll start with 4 RGB PAR64's and just assign three channels to each :). I'll continue to use a couple 90w blue PAR38's always on for back lighting.

• Members
If you have any issues with the Stage Designer, let me know. That board has a few interesting quirks, and I'd be glad to help you sort through them if you have any issues.

Thanks! I couldn't find an reference to it on this forum or on the PSW lighting forum :(. Anything in particular I'm liable to come across when first setting it up?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Thanks! I couldn't find an reference to it on this forum or on the PSW lighting forum
:(
. Anything in particular I'm liable to come across when first setting it up?

Hey, let's try to hook up... (You only have one?) I'll plug my board into it and you can see how it works... My {censored} is just sitting in the trailer doing nothing... 7 channels is alot, compared to my 5 channel Irradiants... I do have a spare board, but I was going to install it at The Music Lady along with some old Par 38s I have doing nothing in my garage....

• Members

I wuz thinkin' cracked circuit board as it's 3 leds of the same color physically adjacent that go on and off together as you press down on any one. Anyways I'll take a look today and see if I can fix it
. I've got a new Chauvet Stage Designer 50 DMX controller coming in I paid $150 shipped for. I'm more interested in slow fades between manual scenes than flashy DJ stuff so thought I'd start with this controller. 12 faders should be OK as I'll start with 4 RGB PAR64's and just assign three channels to each
. I'll continue to use a couple 90w blue PAR38's always on for back lighting.

What do you have for back-lighting stands?

I still have my old 10foot 1.5" truss in my garage I do not use anymore...

Would not mind getting rid of it... Worked well for me for the last 5 years...

• Members
Hey, let's try to hook up...
(You only have one?)
I'll plug my board into it and you can see how it works... My {censored} is just sitting in the trailer doing nothing... 7 channels is alot, compared to my 5 channel Irradiants... I do have a spare board, but I was going to install it at The Music Lady along with some old Par 38s I have doing nothing in my garage....

I did get the Stage Designer 50 in but haven't unboxed it yet. I'm just playing around - I'm really not too psyched to start carrying lights as I really don't have room for them in my car after loading up the PA :(. Hey, does the ML have house sound?

• Members

What do you have for back-lighting stands? I still have my old 10foot 1.5" truss in my garage I do not use anymore... Would not mind getting rid of it... Worked well for me for the last 5 years...

I have a crappy DJ type truss I got when I bought a couple of trees 5 years ago - it was cheaper to buy the whole package than just the two trees :).

I got to set some static uplights a couple weeks back - Elation Opti Tri Pars. Very nice but big $$$ I'm told. Anyways that got me interested in playing with DMX a bit. The only controllers I had were a couple 8 channel non-dimming relay packs that remote through DB9 cables :(.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

seems i'm the lucky one,

i've bought 24 of the parcans and 4 strip bars and they are flawless and awesome lights,i skyped them and get reply quickly,was thinking to buy more from them before reading this thread,

they just talked me on skype,they have updated versions with much more amazing effects,not sure the quality but i just ordered a sample

Archived