What's next?

Hoodoo

• Members

I have 2 amber flood lights and 2 200B's mounted on our speakers for front lighting as our lighting rig right now.

I got enough moola for a color strip and i'm wondering, should I get two mini color strips or one "normal" sized color strip? I'm thinking about putting this on a tree stand behind the drummer.

Also, should I move the 2 200B's to behind the drummer with the color strips or is it recommended that I leave them as FOH lighting?

In addition- how do people transport and protect color strips? Right now, we just wrap our lighting in a huge plastic container with a lot of foam, but a color strip wouldn't fit in there? Do you mount the color strip everytime or is it mounted on your truss/tree stand all the time?

Lastly after I get the color strip what should I buy next? I was thinking some moonflowers but I know nothing about "cool" effect lighting. Should i go with effect lighting or buy more wash lighting?

thanks

• Members

One standard strip will cost less than two 'mini' strips. I'd leave the strip mounted to the T bar. You can look for a Keyboard or gun case to transport the strip and T bar.

Leave the 200B's where they are.

What kind of music do you play? That will make it easier to suggest effects that are fitting.

• Members

Thanks Bill!

We play swamp rock- blues and boogie's, heavy guitar driven music, but we do get a lot of dancing.

The reason I wondered about getting two mini's was for eye candy, if I could do "more cool" things with two. I'll go with the one colorstrip.

thanks

• Members

I usually have 3 Colorstrips behind the band, but we just did a show on a triangular stage so I just had 1 behind me with one on each of the FOH speakers (basically the same setup as you but replacing the 200b with a Colorstrip on each side). It worked out really well.

I would say definitely get 1 of the full sized strips on a T-bar behind the drummer. Like Bill said, leave the 200b's where they are. As for your next purchase after that, I'd personally get a second strip for back lighting and a controller of some sort. Then you can start adding your effects.

• Members

Personally, and I know Johnny Lightboy agrees with me on this one, I prefer to have pairs of everything... it balances things out better ie: one on each side. That said, I don't have pairs of lasers (though I wish I did) so I place them in the back center of the stage.

Archived