Looking for Lighting Advice and Direction

Syyle

• Members

Construction is not necessary as the parts are readily available.

The base:

SlipBase.jpg

The upright:

Exucollar.jpg

Note: A standard piece of 1.5" aluminum tubing cut to any length desired will slip over the stud of the base plate.

• Members

Also, I am really leaning towards SCH 80 PVC...I took a hard look at some SCH 40 stuff yesterday, and I am afraid that it is just too flimsy.

If you go with a 3/4" plywood base with an iron pipe flange and black iron pipe, you will have a very sturdy setup that will not be able to rotate freely. Also, I like the security of screwing in to a flange or fitting.

The Sch. 40 black iron, however, would be a bit harder to drill in to in order to run the wires for the halogens.

• Members

Bill: what are those? and where can i get them? they look perfect! what are the dimensions?

Construction is not necessary as the parts are readily available.

The base:

SlipBase.jpg

The upright:

Exucollar.jpg

Note: A standard piece of 1.5" aluminum tubing cut to any length desired will slip over the stud of the base plate.

• Members

My first post, sorry to criticize...

Why not buy to tripods and mount the white lights to them on each side of the stage vertically like the picture, and put 2 zippers on the top of each one? This way, fold them up and put one each a couple of On Stage soft case and you are done. No unscrewing, no pipes to deal with, nothing looking cheesy. My time is worth money. If I built this pipe stuff, and I'm good at building things, I would have spent enough time to warrant purchasing the right stands. Not to mention the setup and teardown every night and the fact that that schedule 40 or 80 iron pipe in 1" is not going to be light packing that around. And PVC? You've got to be kidding?

• Members

Bob,

Don't be sorry, you commentary was exactly on point. Btw, welcome to the lighting forum.

There is no need to re-invent the wheel. Aluminum tubing is your friend.

A tripod with T bar is simply the beginning of a lighting rig. Let's say you start with a LED strip style fixture permanently mounted to the bar. What's to stop you from hanging a vertical aluminum tube from the T bar... Nothing a double O clamp won't accomplish.

One Off gear designs while unique rarely interface well with excepted practice. You're better off spending your money on equipment that can last for decades . . . just in case your band does.

The visual concept is a good one but the method of achievement needs experience.

• Members

Thanks Bill. I am just switching over to LED's and have been reading this forum for some time, and others that are not as active as this one. I'm in the process of building a new lighting system in LED's and learning DMX after running an NSI system since the early 90's. Too many lights to pack to get the colors I want.

Time to move into the 2010's I guess.

• Members

the reasons i am leaning towards SCH80 PVC: it's extremely durable, rigid, cheap, light-weight, and easy to work with/construct.....and, for me, those points outweigh the usage of aluminum (more expensive per foot, heavier, and in my current position a bit harder to work with/construct).

sorry to be a pest about this, but does anyone have a good link to some dependable light chasers for these Halogen lights to be able to sound activate them? thanks.

Archived