Lighting for solo new age/world act

camshiva

• Members

Ive been going around and around on what to do with this... maybe you guys can give me some good suggestions as the whole lighting/dmx thing is new to me. First the show...

-A lot of ambient pads mixed with chilled tribal/electro beats

-Vox through about half total set (1 to 1.5 hours)

-Synced projected LCD imagery throughout (pretty engaging, not just filler)

-Classical gtr, electric lead gtr, flute, world stuff, blah, blah, blah...

Most of $ spent on gear, video, etc. and light show doesnt need to be U2 360 obviously. But want something that will fit show...?

1) freestyler/usb to dmx and collect a couple lights? what would be cheap for atmosphere type stuff but a little pizazz for those lead gtr moments? But that could get expensive and I'd need another laptop

2) This is what I'm REALLY wondering would work... a non-dmx controller like a Chauvet SF9005 and add a couple color banks, fog, moon flower to it... but is a "timer" smart for solo act? How does a "chase" work in that situation and am I going to be constantly reaching over and fiddling with this timer in the middle of songs?

Sure a synced dmx show would be nice but all my audio/midi and video projections are coming out of one laptop already, and buying another in addition to the interface and dmx fixtures... my wife would castrate me. :eek:

Any suggestions for max effect, minimal control & good deal? Oh yes, and if anyone has any blue prints for a perpetual motion machine as well I'd be much obliged. :thu:

• Members

How about a DMXIS out of the same laptop with midi running the show? Seems like a no brainer to me. What kind of laptop do you use and is it optimized for the show? Just add lights as needed and program the lights into your sequencer.

• Members

I have a good laptop, Acer Aspire 6390 with a dedicated video card. Submixed all my audio and midi down to 6-7 stereo audio tracks in Sonar LE and then 1 midi track through Hubis Loopback to Arkaos VJ in the same laptop to trigger all my clips/live camera feeds.

It

Archived