Martin MX-10 - Deal or No Deal?

Chickentown

• Members

They're great units and you should get them. Any professional lighting fixture from the big manufacturers is big and heavy compared to its DJ level counterparts. Go for them, you won't regret it. Great gobos, great featureset, and they're fairly reliable from what I understand.

Or you could just send them to me. I would be entirely okay with that. My living room could totally use some MX10s.

• Members

Thanks, guys - this put me over the top on the lights. I have no idea how much bulb is left in them, but if they power up and pass a basic test they're mine at noon. And for a song, basically - I've never had one of those great pawn-shop treasure moments so maybe today is my lucky day.

• Members

Probably not worth it. Clubs are notorious for not maintaing lights. The MX-10s are one of those lights that needs to be cleaned religiously. I've bought lights from clubs that went under and thought I could fix them up but it got to the point were things were getting too expensive and I just sold them off. Honestly though unless they are in 100% working condition I wouldn't spend more than $400 per fixture. Be sure to check the total fixture hours also, that will help give you better idea of how much use they've seen. Good luck!

• Members

Non-smoking place that was probably in business for a couple years - I'll check the hours in the "info" menu. He says (yea, I know) that he opened one and thought it looked "spotless." We'll see. $400 what we settled on if they work. Really appreciate the insight.

• Members

Well, they came home with me. :love:

They were not spotless. No big surprise. The way the fans snap out for cleaning is brilliant! Everything about these screams quality, in fact. They each have between 2k-4k hours - so yea, installed and USED. However, they went through the paces without a hitch...except I can't seem to get a DMX bulb strike/off to work, even with this capability turned on in the (excellent) menu. Had to go into Manual menu and toggle the bulbs to "off".

Haven't put my hands on real, pro lighting gear before. Unreal what options exist for customizing behavior using the menus. What a pleasure!

• Members

Often for Martin fixtures you have to set a couple other parameters to a certain value for the fixture to lamp off. It's a safety feature that means that if you accidentally set the fixture to the lampoff value and leave it, the fixture won't lamp off. Usually it's the color wheel and some sort of other effect that you set to certain values. Just take a look at the DMX map in the manual, it should be there.

Also, the lamps (bulbs) are probably milky white inside. Take a look. If the center globe (little sphere inside the outer tube) is all milky white inside, you should replace your lamps. If they're like most clubs I know, the lamps have probably been run in to the ground and are close to exploding, which would cause many other issues with your fixtures. The lamp will explode when the inner globe expands enough that it touches the wire going up to the top of the lamp or the outside envelope of the lamp. This can blow out your reflector and any effects in the path at the time depending on the way the glass explodes. Lesson being: replace lamps before this happens! Then again, they may have newer lamps in them. If you want to take pictures of them and post them I'd be glad to tell you if you should replace them (I work with arc source lamp movers every day and have to make decisions about whether or not to replace them based on the lamp condition).

• Members

The inner sphere of the bulb is pure milky white on the first one I pulled, yet another has a burn spot on the outer bulb - so bulb shopping time. (photo of all four coming soon) Thanks, KF & Soundlight!

Martin says:

Lamp

Type: 250 W discharge

Fitted as standard: Philips MSD 250/2

Color temperature: 8500 K

Average lifetime: 3000 hours

Socket: GY 9.5

Approved alternative lamp(s): Osram HSD 250, Philips MSD 200

Hunt down the "fitted as standard" replacement? Do I want to stay away from the "direct replacement" varieties such as this?

• Members

The inner sphere of the bulb is pure milky white on the first one I pulled, yet another has a burn spot on the outer bulb - so bulb shopping time. (photo of all four coming soon) Thanks, KF & Soundlight!

Martin says:

Lamp

Type: 250 W discharge

Fitted as standard: Philips MSD 250/2

Color temperature: 8500 K

Average lifetime: 3000 hours

Socket: GY 9.5

Approved alternative lamp(s): Osram HSD 250, Philips MSD 200

Hunt down the "fitted as standard" replacement? Do I want to stay away from the "direct replacement" varieties
?

Stick with Philips or Osram.

• Members

Hunt down the "fitted as standard" replacement? Do I want to stay away from the "direct replacement" varieties
?

You want to stick with Phillips or Osram as mentioned. Wider manufacturing tolerances on off-brands can cause them to fail much earlier. You should be able to get a Phillips MSD 250/2 for under a hundred bucks each if I remember right. This is gonna make the lights look much brighter than they are now. You're gonna love the difference that it makes.

• Members

Replace these all now they are close to blowing up inside the fixture. The only one that I would classify as not very close is the 2nd from the left in the picture, so keep that around as an emergency spare but still replace it. When you install your lamps, put the lamp in to the socket and then wipe it down with the alcohol wipe that will be included with the lamp. If you leave a fingerprint on the lamp, it will bulge and then probably explode due to the oil from your finger heating up on the surface of the glass. That third lamp with the black/grey spot looks like someone put a finger on it. So wait till you have the lamp in the lampholder to wipe them down, then gently place them in to the fixture.

There will also be some lamp adjustment screws on the bottom of the lampholder. After you fire up the fixture, you can adjust these screws in very small increments to center up the lamp in the reflector, just making your beam brighter and flatter.

Archived