DMXis setups

bondsong

• Members

Frank,

I am brand spanking new to DMXIS as well. So I may not be able to give much practical advice just yet, but I am a musician/techie going on 20 years now with lots of software, performing and recording experience. So at the very least maybe we could bounce application of DMXIS off each other

• Members

I have DMXIS running on a HP DV7T laptop on Win 7. I use a Korg NanoPad that sits on my keyboard to trigger scenes. Driving a 40+ fixture all LED rig including movers etc. Stand alone it works flawlessly, still has some issues with stability and random DMX commands being sent when used as a plug in hosted by either Cubase or Live. I like it's simplicity, but I get the feeling that unless they do some more upgrades to provide stackable/transparent scene capability, I may switch to something else. I am wanting more and more control as time goes on!

• Members

I have DMXIS running on a HP DV7T laptop on Win 7. I use a Korg NanoPad that sits on my keyboard to trigger scenes. Driving a 40+ fixture all LED rig including movers etc. Stand alone it works flawlessly, still has some issues with stability and random DMX commands being sent when used as a plug in hosted by either Cubase or Live. I like it's simplicity, but I get the feeling that unless they do some more upgrades to provide stackable/transparent scene capability, I may switch to something else. I am wanting more and more control as time goes on!

I hear you there. A total interface upgrade and the option to color code fixtures would be great. I just did a theater gig and using that small interface to program scenes on my 17" laptop was a bit ridiculous. It was like working in a postage stamp. I have no stability or DMX issues with my setup at all but I have never attempted to run a show through Logic.

• Members

I wouldn't even mind paying a bit for a solid upgrade. Somehow if Dave can keep the simple interface, have a re-sizable window and add some more advanced features it would be a killer control system. I've looked into some other packages, but the learning curve is steep. I could probably learn, but having the time to go through all the tutorials is tough.

• Members

I wouldn't even mind paying a bit for a solid upgrade. Somehow if Dave can keep the simple interface, have a re-sizable window and add some more advanced features it would be a killer control system. I've looked into some other packages, but the learning curve is steep. I could probably learn, but having the time to go through all the tutorials is tough.

I really like the general functionality but the more I learn the less it does. Transparent scenes and layering would be awesome but a nicer interface would help a lot, too.

• Members

Ok, first problem...

Plugged in my Fusion Bar 2 (awesome fixture btw) and it going great in stand-alone mode. Programmed a dozen or so presets with ease... this being my COMPLETE hands on introduction to dmx programming... DMXIS is THAT easy. From open boxes to unlocking the software AND programming the fixture from scratch because it wasnt in the library... I'm up in running in 3 hours.

Then...SCREEECH! I cant get DMXIS to appear in Sonar LE even when its configured as a synth like Enntec suggests. It is in a VST wrapper but thats any versionn of Sonar. Anybody have problems like this? Maybe I'll hit up the wonderful Mr. Brown. ;)

• Members

Its not as bad as it looks really :). The laptop pumps 90% of the backing audio through the audio interface (Sonic Cell) and onto the mixer. All other audio I'm doing live (vox, guitars, keys, flute, dulcimer, etc) which meets the backing tracks at the mixer then onto the house. The only other "work" going on is within the laptop sequencer internally routing two midi tracks; 1 midi track triggering visuals in Arkaos VJ and coming out the VGA port and another midi track routed to DMXIS to run the lights.

I'm not even tapping the Sonic Cell for the work it COULD handle... in addition to the USB audio its passing on it can also take XLR, hi-z, 1/4 inch in the back and apply comp, verb, dist, delay, etc and merge into the USB audio while also being a 16 part multi-timbral synth! Truly amazing piece of live gear for solo artists. My Roland XP-30 (although used multi-timbral in the studio to make the songs) I really use only as a solo instrument live.

The show is 12 songs (broken into two halves), Sonar loads them all automatically one after another (about 2 seconds tops) due to its 'Playlist' function and also sends patch changes to the visual app and bank changes to DMXIS at the same time. Its a very rehearsed and choreographed show but its also ethnic fusion/new age/electronica for Performing Arts Centers, not the 15 minute setup/tear down from my metal band days on the LA strip as a youth.

All in all I'm just a glorified karaoke singer/guitarist over my own material. :)

Btw, the DMXIS workaround I'm using since I STILL cant get the plugin to work as a VST-wrap in Sonar, I'm using Hubis Loopback to internally route the midi track to the stand-alone version of DMXIS. Works pretty well but didnt like the idea of one more open app on the laptop... 3 at count.

• Members

Thanks for the details Camshiva.

I won't being doing anything as complex as that. My plan is to run midi files of songs and play guitar or keys and trigger the lights from the midi file. I'll trigger the sounds in my Yamaha S90es or maybe use a software sound source eventually. I sing and use a midi harmonizer as well. I'm going to buy a Macbook pro to do this as I need it for some other things as well. I'll be using Sweet Midi Player for smf playback. I need a system where I have access to lots of songs. I also need to pick the songs at random on the fly so this is why I'm going to use this setup.

I've been doing this without the lights being triggered up to this point so all I'll be adding is the lights through DMXis.

• Members

Not trying to steer you away from a laptop, cuz they can do quite a bit of multitasking for a rig like ours. But take a look at the Sonic Cell as it can play SMF 1 and 2 (and 48 khz wave files) off of a USB thumb drive with customized playlists and on-the-fly changes built into the Sonic Cell. I only use it as a USB audio interface to pass along the data from the laptop which is only 5% of what its capable of. But when I say its its a solo performing artists dream... i wasnt kidding. 96khz audio interface, 16 part synth (Fantom sounds), midi/wave file player from thumb drive, and full hookups with FX and phantom power in the back. And somehow they managed to squeeze two SRX slots as well all within something half the size of a shoe box... truly underrated. :love:

The only problem is I dont think SMF files in the thumb drive are echo'ed out the MIDI out connector for your lights. I wouldnt be surprised if they were (this thing is only missing an espresso frother on the side) but I just dont see it in the manual.Although that S90 is an awesome piece of gear!:thu: But, yeah, just missing a sequencer... hey you cant have it all and when they try, they screw up something.

Whatever experiences you have with DMXIS let me know, I'm putting together the presets as we speak. What lighting fixtures are you using?

• Members

Actually the S90es does playback midi files and it does do custom playlists. I use it right now to play my files and go out to the harmonizer but I wouldn't be able to do DMXis with it of course.

I'll check out the Sonic Cell. I'm always interested in gear.

I have a 4 bar and two SlimPar 64s.

Cheers,

Frank

• Members

I really like the general functionality but the more I learn the less it does. Transparent scenes and layering would be awesome but a nicer interface would help a lot, too.

This is why I've stuck with freestyler for so long. I really like the look and ease of DMXIS, and some of the features are real time savers.

But,I really like the ability to layer my washes and effects so I can turn them on and off without affecting the other "scenes" or programing that may be already running.

The ability to run multiple sequences and stack them as I want them is a big plus. Iit means I don't have to create a separate scene foe every effect I wanna use.

If Dave at DMXIS upgrades their software to run like that I would take a long second look at it.

• Members

I understand the original concept of DMXis and it suits me perfectly. I am going to use it to run scenes triggered by a sequencer while playing.

I also understand that other people want other features that would allow them to do layering etc. I'm new to lighting so I don't understand the in and outs of all those features. It seems to me there's a market there for DMXis with a deeper feature set. Maybe there should be two versions or a light and pro version.(not to imply there's anything light about the current version)

Cheers,

Frank

• Members

My apologies, thought that Yamaha model didnt have a sequencer. :facepalm: And your running a slim light show like me. Yeah Bigjd, when I was shopping for something to control my lights (a Fusion Bar 2 and Fusion Bar Tri, one on either side) I considered...

-triggering a cruddy Obey 40 at first until I heard programming was clunky AND the 'fade to' time is completely ignored when triggering scenes via midi! What?! Why? how stupid.

-I did look at MyDMX even though it was a little pricier and DID have the cool "visualizer". But using only two fixtures (and no moving heads) i figured a visualizer would be silly in my case plus the breakout box didnt have the foot pedal triggering which i thought i might use. Lastly i THINK the number crunching is done on the laptop CPU which I didnt want to do.

I settled on DMXIS for the $50 price drop, the foot switch option, the breakout box processor doing all the work, and not having a need for layering. The 'Oscillator' function has saved me a LOT OF TIME... creating chases and complex steps all within one scene. Love it. But if I need to I can route midi CC messages to REALLY exploit my Fusion Bars potential... and of course other lighting I manage to sneak past my wife. :cop:

• Members

My apologies, thought that Yamaha model didnt have a sequencer.
:facepalm:
And your running a slim light show like me. Yeah Bigjd, when I was shopping for something to control my lights (a Fusion Bar 2 and Fusion Bar Tri, one on either side) I considered...

-triggering a cruddy Obey 40 at first until I heard programming was clunky AND the 'fade to' time is completely ignored when triggering scenes via midi! What?! Why? how stupid.

-I did look at MyDMX even though it was a little pricier and DID have the cool "visualizer". But using only two fixtures (and no moving heads) i figured a visualizer would be silly in my case plus the breakout box didnt have the foot pedal triggering which i thought i might use. Lastly i THINK the number crunching is done on the laptop CPU which I didnt want to do.

I settled on DMXIS for the $50 price drop, the foot switch option, the breakout box processor doing all the work, and not having a need for layering. The 'Oscillator' function has saved me a LOT OF TIME... creating chases and complex steps all within one scene. Love it. But if I need to I can route midi CC messages to REALLY exploit my Fusion Bars potential... and of course other lighting I manage to sneak past my wife.
:cop:

It sounds like you took pretty much the same path I did when looking at options. With the Obey, besides programming being "clunky" like you described, I also read about several people having reliability issues with that and other, similar, inexpensive hardware controllers. With the MyDMX option, I didn't like the fact that it didn't have the footswitch. Although I may go to a midi footcontroller in the future, I don't have to put out the extra capital right now just to run a show from the stage.

• Members

I totally understand Bigjd's point and other musicians as well though... it all comes down HOW you perform on stage. MyDMX seems potentially more powerful with layered scenes, a visualizer (which is important for some), more fixtures on screen at a glance and EFX manager (if U care)... if you had a dedicated lampy/friend to run your show while you jammed, then thats a good bet. But if wanted you could still program a midi foot pedal like the Behringer FCB1010 to do a lot BUT it takes some time, LOTS of programming patience and a person who likes to get under the hood and customize.

DMXis sacrifices some small things that may be big to you (or nothing at all in my case) for a quicker up and running show which is a blessing for solo-performo's like me. No need to program a midi foot pedal which I heard is kind of a PIA sometimes since you can step through your scenes witht the dedicated insert if you line your scenes up. Dont want ANOTHER pedal to step on? DMXIS can go as deep as you need on exploiting any lights full DMX capabilities when you dedicate a midi track in your sequencer to run everything... but so can MyDMX.

Layering? Gobs of lights? If you want that, gotta be MyDMX or something else.

Dont care about layering? fades between scenes are good enough and want something that looks good almost the same you day you get the package in the mail? And it looks 92.7% as good as far the audience can tell? DMXis is probably better in my opinion.

• 1 year later...

Archived