Chauvet Colorstrip Mini Master/Slave issue

AxisDrummer

• Members

First let me defen myself by saying that I'm not a "lighting guy."  I'm just a drummer in a typical cover band that plays a few shows a month.  Therefore we just have a few SlimPars and 2 Colorstrip Minis up on T-Bars behind me on an auto chase/fade/sound....etc....  Not diving into DMX (yet.)

Anyway, I always link the Colorstrips master/slave and they've worked up until last night.  I realized that after the 1st set the slave light was frozen and wasn't reading L005 anymore like usual.  I didn't have time to mess with it, so I just set it on it's own auto program.  I did notice that the faulty Slave fixture seemed to be VERY warm.

I got home today and can't figure out why the master/slave mode isn't working.  I ruled out a faulty DMX cable as I tried a few that I know are in good condition.  I'm using the Master/Slave OUT on the Master Colorstrip and NOT the DMX OUT.

Usually I just plug the Master into the DMX IN of the Slave and the menu changes to L005 and I'm set.  Nothing happening,

I'm sure I'm missing something very easy therefore asking you guys who are infinitely more knowledgable than me on this.

Thanks ahead of time for any help.

---Mike

• Members

Hmmm.....I may have an older Colorstrip Mini (if that's possible.)  

The only options I have when I cycle through the Menu ("Mode" on this fixture) is Act or SYS.

On the Act Mode, I select the light program.

On SYS Mode, I have 2 sub-modes of SdAd (the DMX addressing mode) or SAAd.  The manual says to activate SYS-SAAd on to confirm that all slave fixtures have been recognized, but no dice for me.  

Luckily as RoadRanger suggested, when I reverse the master/slave units, they work.....but it's still bugging me as to WHY they won't function the other way.   I guess with electronics, there's tons of possible fails.

• Members

Oh yeah, it's an actual DMX cable.  Not an XLR...give me a little bit of credit! LOL.   I did try a few DMX cables so I ruled a faulty cable out.  And I did reverse them and they work fine.  I'm guessing either the Master/Slave OUT or the DMX IN of either fixtures is shot.  But luckily they work if I switch which unit is Master and which one is Slave.  

Archived