Microphone for Trumpet

• Members

It also depends on your horn (brass or silver?) and mouthpiece. A large-diaphragm dynamic (Senn421) might sound better on a mellower brass instrument, while a condenser (Beta98) might be needed on a silver (brighter) horn. Same with a small-bore vs large-bore mouthpiece.

A Beta98-style clip-on mic will keep the sound consistent while you move.

Cardioid or hypercardioid are preferred because of feedback rejection and isolation from other nearby sources.

Whatever you choose, placement is very important. I don't think you'll like the sound if the mic is directly on axis. Try it 3 to 6 inches away and just to one side of (or above or below) the bell, aiming back into the center of the horn.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Hi,

I am a trumpet player and I need to buy my first microphone for live performance.

I play a Monette Bb trumpet. I play in a small-group jazz, but also play Soul music.

I am doing some research and found out some good clues, but some are very expensive for me, and some are not available where I live (Brazil).

Basically, I have to choose between Shure and Sennheiser.

So, I found out that these microphones below are not so expensive and could do the job:

- Shure Beta 56

- Sennheiser e609 (we don't have the Silver yet).

- Sennheiser e604

But, I could afford any of these and I cannot decide which one.

I heard the e609 Silver is a very good one, but since we do not have the Silver yet, will the (old) e609 do the job?

If you have any other suggestion, consider Shure and Seenheiser until US$ 150

Could you guys help me with that?

Thanks!

• Members

Is the Beta 98H/C in your budget? It's really convenient for brass. Just clip on to the bell. You don't have to worry about moving around either.

http://www.shure.com/microphones/models/beta98h.asp

Can you get Audio Technica there?

The pro35 is nice too for brass..

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/8b8850105bdc46d6/index.html

• Members

My go to trumpet mic is a Sennheiser e609, either the blackface or the silver. I have a huge distain for clipon mics for brass, espeically trumpet for a couple reasons. Very few mics can withstand a full on blast from a good player, and the tone of a trumpet does not develop in 2 inches from the bell. Trumpets need some distance from mics to fully encompass the tone of the player, at least a foot to 18 inches. The 609's, being hypercardiod dynamics, are capable of reproducing a trumpet tone without distortion at these distances very smoothly, and, becuase of the hypercardiod pattern, without excessive bleed from other instruments.

• Members

Based on several posts of several forums, I have decided to choose either the Beta 56 or the e609.

...or else I'll go crazy!

I have to do it this week.

Anyone help me do it fast and painless?

P.S.: Nick, I know your opinon. Thanks for your help!!!

• Members

If you want to be "on mic" at all times, the Shure Beta 98, AKG C418, and Audix MicroD work well. (The AKG is the smallest, but breaks the most.)

If you want to "work the mic", the Audix D4 works very well with just about anything.

Archived