Vocal Mics and Power Amps

• Members

I mostly post on the Bass Forum but I thought I'd pop in and ask the wise soundmen a couple of questions.

We are looking at replacing our old no name vocal mic.

The main options are the Shure PG58 and the Shure SM58.

The PG58 is the budget model and half the price. Does anyone have any experience with this model and if so would you recommend paying the extra for the SM58.

It will mostly be used for rehearals and small live shows. Maybe some rough demos to four track.

My other question is on power amps. Specificall the QSC PLX2402

I use for my bass rig.

Is there an advantage sound or output wise in cranking the channel volumes to full and adjusting the volume on the input device (in this case a bass preamp). Or am I better off leaving the channel volumes on half way as I do now.

The amp is using parallel input both channels running into 4ohm stereo

• Members

The SM58. It along with the SM57 are the standard in entry level SR mics... you should be able to find a used one for $75.

You will be able to sell it 10 years for at least $75. The PG58 will probably be worth $10-25.

• Members

Are those your only choices? Between the two, the SM58 is the safe bet. The Shure PG mics come up pretty often in discussion here, but nobody ever talks about actually having one. There are some options in the SM58 price range from Sennheiser, AKG, E-V, and others that are pretty desirable. Mics are a very personal thing and have unique personalties. My personal vocal mic is an AKG D880. Higher output, supercardioid pattern, very smooth and, this is the best part, it makes me sound better than I actually do without it :D They're marketing a D880 Mk II now that I've seen advertised for $80.

D

• Members

Originally posted by e-b-e

You got it for $100 less than the SM-58? How much was the SM-58 going for? The going price on them is normally $99.95.

Nevertheless, enjoy your new mic !
:)

The SM58 lists for $399 here, it was on sale at $299

The Audix cost me $199

$1 NZ = .56c US

• Members

Originally posted by MrKnobs

Or 57. I'm a little more partial to those. Not a lot of difference, really.

Bummer to the New Zealand guy who gets 58's ON SALE for $299!
:eek:

Terry D.

He only paid about, what, $15 USD more than we'd pay in the US for that Audix. I suppose importing/distro came into play...

• Members

Originally posted by dirtyragamuffin

He only paid about, what, $15 USD more than we'd pay in the US for that Audix. I suppose importing/distro came into play...

This is why many U.S. products just don't sell in other parts of the world. Certainly make a person re-think the whole free-trade thing eh? Somehow I think the trade deal works better the other way... they can sell us oranges, lamb, mutton and beef for less than it costs us to produce it domestically!

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

This is why many U.S. products just don't sell in other parts of the world. Certainly make a person re-think the whole free-trade thing eh? Somehow I think the trade deal works better the other way... they can sell us oranges, lamb, mutton and beef for less than it costs us to produce it domestically!

Most of it doesn't get to the actual sellers, and there is a cap on the actual amount that aussies and new zealanders can sell.

The only ones that win are the various governments.

• Members

I have a PG58 that I use for occasional background stuff. It works. During sound checks, our singer goes from his mic. Don't know what it is, but he said it was expensive, then to mine. The PG sounds okay, but lacks the crispness and clarity of the singer's better mic.

• Members

I wouldn't go less than the sm58. Part of what you are paying for with the sm series is the durability. a sm 57 or 58 will take a lot of abuse without any serious problems, where a pg58 will be toast after being dropped two or three times. My personal preference for a vocal mic is a sennheiser 845. It just sounds so much clearer than any sm 58 I've tried. one band I was in I did backup vocals and lead on a few songs, and our regular singer used an sm 58. He was always complaining that my mic sounded better than his.

• Members

You might take a look at Peavey= pvm22. Go to their web, check it out. I a/b it with a sm58 Peavey, has more gain, don't sound bad either. But if I was going to buy new mikes, EV 757 for my own personal taste, their the ones. PS. I got a new Dell computer, and also hooked up to DSL, with windows xp, microsoft internet exployer, since then I can get on Harmony Centeral but am having a heck of a time getting on discussion fourm. Does anybody have any helpful hints as to what I can do? Thanks, Denny

• Members

Originally posted by MrKnobs

Bummer to the New Zealand guy who gets 58's ON SALE for $299!
:eek:

Terry D.

That'd be $168.00 U.S. dollars. And I believe he meant street as opposed to list price. Many ex-British Empire countries have high import duty and other taxes. (Is this correct, Aussies and Kiwis?)

Shipping also adds up a bit.

Archived