Bullfrog speakers!!!!

• Members

Unfortunatley, I think we should start all this over. What equipment do you already have PA wise? - amps, mixer, monitors, EQ's, mics, etc. What is your TOTAL budget to get all that you'll need.

200W per cabinet, NADY 2x12's and micing drums = not a good idea.

• Members

Okay, I am back. The current equipment which I could use P.A. wise is -an AT DR1000, 3 SM57s, Beta 52 and my next planned mic is the Senn E609. I have a Behringer Eurorack MX2004A for a mixer. I have noi speakers and no poweramp.

I'd like a poweramp that is at least 200W stereo @8 ohms and is at most $250. The speakers together must cost within $450. If I got the NADY THS 2012s, then I would most likely not mic the band until I get subs in the future. Micing the band would be nice, but it is not vital for now. All I need is for myself to be heard clearly and I need to be over the band. That is why the THS 2012 still stands strong in my small group of choices. I have been looking at the American audio speakers however and have started leaning more toward them, -I was going to buy speakers today -but found that I am going to have more time to do it. If these are both louder and clearer for my vocals than the THS 2012s would be -then I'd say this will be an easy decison. I like how these particular speakers are lighter and can be pole mounted. But I need to see as many replies from different people as possible who have used these before I can be sure that one does what I want it to do better than the other.

• Members
Originally posted by SilleeSpyder

Okay, I am back. The current equipment which I could use P.A. wise is -an AT DR1000, 3 SM57s, Beta 52 and my next planned mic is the Senn E609. I have a Behringer Eurorack MX2004A for a mixer. I have noi speakers and no poweramp.

I'd like a poweramp that is at least 200W stereo @8 ohms and is at most $250. The speakers together must cost within $450. If I got the NADY THS 2012s, then I would most likely not mic the band until I get subs in the future. Micing the band would be nice, but it is not vital for now. All I need is for myself to be heard clearly and I need to be over the band. That is why the THS 2012 still stands strong in my small group of choices. I have been looking at the American audio speakers however and have started leaning more toward them, -I was going to buy speakers today -but found that I am going to have more time to do it. If these are both louder and clearer for my vocals than the THS 2012s would be -then I'd say this will be an easy decison. I like how these particular speakers are lighter and can be pole mounted. But I need to see as many replies from different people as possible who have used these before I can be sure that one does what I want it to do better than the other.

Have you checked ebay for amps yet? There are usually a number of great choices in that price range. Just last week a Soundtech PS1300 in very nice condition sold for about $180. 650 watts/channel @4 ohms. You could have run your top cabs and a pair of smaller subs with just that amp. Now for speakers. As for the THS,I doubt if anyone here can really compare them exactly to anything since they have been such a rarity. I have heard the single THS 12" model. A local young band uses a pair of them on top of two of the Behringer 18" subs. They run about 300 watts into the top cabs and put instruments through the PA. They sound ok in small clubs and actually get pretty loud and clean. Haven't blown any drivers either. I assume the dual 12"s use the same woofer.Now for the other two. I have a pair of APX152's and they are a decent speaker at a great price. Ans as you know,I recently bought a pair of the Bullfrogs. The Bullfrogs definitely get first place here,soundwise. More low-end and the mids(vocals,etc)come out very clear because of the 10" Delta in the middle. If you can make them work,they will give you the best tone and most clean volume of the three models mentioned here. And all three should be very close to each other in price. BTW,if you are planning to add low cost subs,there is also a matching 2x15" Bullfrog sub cab that is exactly the same size. I'm guessing if they have any available,that they would be a little cheaper than the mid/high cab. So for about $600 plus shipping,you could maybe have the whole set of two subs and two mid/high cabs. Just my opinion.

• Members

Thanks Tbonehead -that is exactly what I wanted to hear -a comparison of all three -or at least which one will come in first out of the three. If I go with the 'frogs -then I guess I'd better hurry up on ordering. I'll write the salesman Scott, I believe his name was, and get a final price on them -I'll see how much it comes out to and weigh the +'s and -'s.

• Members

I just noticed something on the Bullfrogs site. They have another set of speakers -The 1512s. I like the way they are shaped, but would the difference in speaker size sound more transparent in the 1510s than in the 1512s? 1510s having one 10 inch speaker and one 15 and the 1512 having one 12 inch speaker and one 15. Tell me your hypothesis.

• Members
Originally posted by SilleeSpyder

I just noticed something on the Bullfrogs site. They have another set of speakers -The 1512s. I like the way they are shaped, but would the difference in speaker size sound more transparent in the 1510s than in the 1512s? 1510s having one 10 inch speaker and one 15 and the 1512 having one 12 inch speaker and one 15. Tell me your hypothesis.

Don't know but the 1512 is just a two-way design. I assume the 15" and 12" are just in parallel.

• Members
Originally posted by tlbonehead

Don't know but the 1512 is just a two-way design. I assume the 15" and 12" are just in parallel.

Sorry about my lack of experience in this field but, what does what you said mean, and how does it compare to the 1510s? ...Don't worry, I think this will all be over soon -for I have narrowed it down to the two bullfrog models.

Archived