Fur or no fur for the Yamaha S115IV

• Members

I'm going to buy a pair of the Yamaha S115. I can get these with the rat fur (S115IV) or without (S115IVS). It looks like the regular with fur are heavier, but are there any other differences? Any reason I should go with one or the other. I was leaning towards the fur because I am guessing they'd maybe be more durable, but I don't know.

Thanks,

Scott

• CMS Author

Originally posted by agedhorse

The best quality fur looks better for a longer time than the medium and lower grades of spray-on.

The trick is to know what grade fur is being used. The lesser quality fur really gives the material a bad name.

Doesn't the best of most anything beat the medium and lower grades of something else?;);)

• Members

Originally posted by Daniel Smart

Nope. The best American beer doesn't come close to a medium or lower grade British beer
:D

-Dan

Ohhh, that reminds me... How are american beer and sex in a canoe alike?

They're both {censored}ing close to water.

But seriously, I prefer the coated to the rat fur. On my old SM15IV's I pulled off the fur and put rhino liner on 'em.

• Members

Yamaha's specs show the spray-on weighing 61 lbs. and the fur model weighing 69 lbs. Can carpet for a 15 in cab reall weigh 8 pounds?! That is a pretty big difference in weight if you are lugging those around weekend after weekend.

Thanks for the help guys!

Scott

And I prefer my girlfriend without the furry armpits...

• Members

It probably isn't an expensive (read: Heavy Duty) spray-on. And this is an MDF cab, correct? Be prepared to touch-up the paint often as they'll chip very easily and will be looking quite ratty, quite soon.

ANY rat fur helps to hold crumbling pressed wood together longer (except where the carpet keeps peeling back.).

• Members

Originally posted by Kennykeys

It probably isn't an expensive (read: Heavy Duty) spray-on. And this is an MDF cab, correct? Be prepared to touch-up the paint often as they'll chip very easily and will be looking quite ratty, quite soon.

ANY rat fur helps to hold crumbling pressed wood together longer (except where the carpet keeps peeling back.).

that's why I put the Rhino liner on mine, it doesn't chip, plus its water (beer) proof, it can sit in a puddle of beer without the MDF absorbing it and swelling and cracking.

I cant speak for the coating from Yamaha's factory tho...

• CMS Author

Originally posted by SoundtechSD

I bought the fur S115s. I figured that it'd show wear less than the polymer; and I like my cabs black not gray. They look kinda gray on the website.

The color was my primary reason....rat fur cabs that get moved alot and used in bars get all {censored}ty with pulls and fuzz, and gray after about a year. The coated stuff gets chipped, but it stays black and can be touched up easily.

The Yammies with polymer are black, not gray.

• Members

I have a friend from high school tht has a body shop, I had him give me a call when he was going to be doing a truck bed. He let me know a couple of days before, and I took apart my cabs and had them ready for him to shoot at the same time as the truck. It only cost me $50. Well worth it in this case.

OT: I did blow the horn on one of em this past weekend. Anyone know what the replacement diaphram is for those horns? They kinda look like Eminience horns but are badged Yamaha.

Archived