Who makes some decent mic stands

• Members

I need a better microphone stand.

I keep going through those $20 ones from Guitar Center and I'm quite disappointed in the quality...but what could I expect at the price. I've never seen anything else around though. The last couple have broken because of the way I stand. I normally sing with both my hands up on top pushing directly down, which causes a small plastic tightening ring inside to break.

So, what is the best brand for mic stands out there? All I need is one, high-quality stand that won't wobble or break under those conditions.

• Members

I have a modified stand (actually 3) that I LOVE!!!

Peavey used to make a weighted V base/stand and it was drilled to cause the stand/mic to lean in at you....not a lot but enough to look totally cool. Then I took the Ultimate clutching stand and modified it to fit the Peavey base.

It is/was the Bestest;)! coolest! mic set-up that I have ever had.

Peavey doesnt make the base for those stands anymore

:(

And the other dowside is that you had to buy 2 sets of mic stands (plus adapter at hardware store) just to get one complete stand...man was it cool though.

I'd like to buy a couple more but can't find the Peavey base.

• Members

Since a lot of you folks like the K&M stands I went and checked out their site. While there, I found the perfect stands for my rehearsal studio. Since my studio is VERY small (floor space is at a premium) with a high ceiling, I have much gear installed high. The Desk Arm with the Table Flange seems perfect for the ceiling mount vocal mics that I have been working on. I suppose (for now) I have 2 questions:

1) Anyone see any drawbacks with hanging SM or Beta type mics with these things from the ceiling? They were not designed for it, but I would suppose that the operating principal is the same and it would work well.

2) They did not list retail outlets on their site and (with a quick Internet search of K&M retailers) I cannot find anyone that carries these particular products. Do any of you peeps carry them and/or have ideas who would give me a reasonable price on them?

Thanks,

-Trip

• CMS Author

Originally posted by Tripoutski

Since a lot of you folks like the K&M stands I went and checked out their site. While there, I found the perfect stands for my rehearsal studio. Since my studio is VERY small (floor space is at a premium) with a high ceiling, I have much gear installed high. The
Desk Arm
with the
Table Flange
seems perfect for the ceiling mount vocal mics that I have been working on. I suppose (for now) I have 2 questions:

1) Anyone see any drawbacks with hanging SM or Beta type mics with these things from the ceiling? They were not designed for it, but I would suppose that the operating principal is the same and it would work well.

2) They did not list retail outlets on their site and (with a quick Internet search of K&M retailers) I cannot find anyone that carries these particular products. Do any of you peeps carry them and/or have ideas who would give me a reasonable price on them?

Thanks,

-Trip

You'd better double check that the desk arm will work inverted. It looks suspiciously similar to the desk lamp thingies, that I know from experience will not work that way. I'd also be suspect of the desk flange not being the safest way to retain the arm....the load is being held by the setscrew thingy, and there's no guarantee it won't loosen when you least expect.

I'mnot quite sure I understand how a mic hung at mouth level takes less space than one held from a floor stand. Both have to be moved or you have to move around them, and the ceiling mount limits placement options.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

We use all sorts of stuff. When riders spec a tripod stand we use 100% k&m because they take the abuse and are heavy duty. If the rider asks for a weighted base we use atlas ms12 and ms20 weighted bases with a straight stand and k&m or AKG adjustable booms. With all the years of touring and abuse our gear goes through you'd be surprised to hear that we have very little failures. The part that wears the fasyest are usually the 2 little bubber "disks" that cause the boom arm to stay in place when tightened. Either way, Atlas, K&M & AKG are the way to go.

• Members

Yes, as usual, Phil & I agree on this... K&M (distrib. by AKG in US) is the only universally accepted pro duty tripod boom stand. Atlas makes a great weighted base straight stand as well. Ultimate's straight stand is pretty good as well. Mark has some good looking stands as well, but I haven't had a chance to torture-test one yet.

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by agedhorse

Mark has some good looking stands as well, but I haven't had a chance to torture-test one yet.

I'll send you a couple.

All I have worked-up are straight round-base mic stands. I've been working on these for about 3 years, and I've just about got them where I want them. The last refinement I'm working on is the telescoping tube. Right now, the mic clip threads are a seperate piece crimp pressed into the telescoping tube. This works "ok", but I'm working on developing a heavier wall telescoping tube that has the threads machined directly on the tube.

The stand is pretty basic, but I've gone back to an "old school" way of doing things:

1) The compression ring in the slip clutch is brass (not plastic).

2) The slip clutch compression nut (collar) is machined billet brass (not pot-metal or plastic).

3) The rubber feet are rubber (not plastic) and are affixed to the base with machine screws (not glue or spring clips).

4) Each mic stand comes with a mic clip and extra rubber feet

5) All the threads are hand cut with actual taps and dies (rather than rolled or otherwise "machined" with a screw machine type device).

I've messed around quite a bit with the weight and balance of the stand. I'm fairly happy with the resulting "feel" of the current combination. The curve, size, and weight of the cast round bottom is "just right" as far as I'm concerned, but I'd like the telescoping tube to be just a little "deader"... which I'm hoping I can accomplish with slightly heavier tube-stock.

It's work in progress. I don't know if I'm quite ready for prime time with this product yet, but it's shaping up to be a pretty decent stand.

I'm hoping to have some tripod stands ready in the next year.

Archived