What are your "secrets" tricks/tips for live sound.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
Originally posted by keybunk

Then again, on the 'other' sound forum, pro sound web Live Audio Board....

they did a subwoofer shootout and their power amplifier of choice was... (drumroll please...)

QSC PL series.

:confused:

Wow, and all this time I thought those dudes where the guys who mixed the shows. From the above, it's obvious they're actually the guys who carry the amp racks. :D

What did they shootout the PLX against? Carvin and Mackie? Phonic and Behringer? Or was it the subs being compared, not the amps? :confused:

If they were testing subs instead of sub amps, and had to give the subs back afterwards, maybe they chose the PLX to be completely sure they wouldn't damage the speakers or disturb the neighbors. ;)

Terry D.

P.S. I have to go over to pro sound web now and see if I can spot the new QSC ad banner scrolling across their page....

• Members
Originally posted by MrKnobs

Wow, and all this time I thought those dudes where the guys who
mixed
the shows. From the above, it's obvious they're actually the guys who
carry
the amp racks.
:D

What did they shootout the PLX against? Carvin and Mackie? Phonic and Behringer? Or was it the subs being compared, not the amps?
:confused:

Not quite.

PL is the highly regarded and very expensive PowerLight series, they are not PLX.

It was a subwoofer shootout, they were comparing capabilities of subwoofers side by side.

Go to the prosoundweb.com LAB and see if you can find it. :)

• Members

Taming stage 'boom'...

Sometimes, particularly with corner stages, the bass guitar amp will create a loud resonant 'boooooooooooom' when thre bassist hits a certain note.

Having a chart that lists the notes on a bass guitar vs. the fundamental frequency in hertz and first two harmonics (fundamental x1, x2) is invaluable.

"Hey Mr. Bass, which note makes the stage mix go boooooooommmmm (resonate)?"

"Looks like E sets off the boom"

E= 41.2 Hz

Harmonics are 82.4 Hz, and 164.8 Hz. Try & dip them, one at at time, on the bass guitar amp and possibly FOH depending on the position of the FOH speaks.... I bet the boooom will subside.:)

• Members

Not quite.

PL is the highly regarded and very expensive PowerLight series, they are not PL
X

You might be surprised to know that there is very little (but there is some) difference between like size PL & PLX other than interface, management and data processing features. Much of the difference between model lines is due to "cutting edge" features as much as performance.

• Members
Originally posted by agedhorse

You might be surprised to know that there is very little (but there is some) difference between like size PL & PLX other than interface, management and data processing features. Much of the difference between model lines is due to "cutting edge" features as much as performance.

No argument here. :)

I'm just stating that, in regards to the "Never use switchmode amps for subs" debate....

..I find it interesting that one of the internet's most collectively experienced 'live sound' forums would choose a switchmode amp (QSC PowerLight) as their amp of choice to compare today's 'hot rod touring grade' subs.

Personally, I use an affordable lead sled (RMX1850HD) to power subs with. I need the exercise anyway. ;):)

• Members

Originally posted by Audiopile

Interesting term: "my theatre".

I have a similar term: "my stage".

Rather than it being an arrogent term, it in facts reflects the liability and responsibility for the safety (#1) and the positive experience (#2) that the audience and staff expect.

I expect that when in a building that seats many people, a reasonable level of safety, and that generally takes somebody being responsible for following the rules that are in place for such things. When an act (or promoter) refuses to follow the rules, that level of safety no longer exists thoughg the audience expectation does not change... they still have the expectation that the venue is safe. Therefore, either the show does not happen, or the act/promoter complies with venue rules... period.

• Members

No argument here.
:)

I'm just stating that, in regards to the "Never use switchmode amps for subs" debate....

..I find it interesting that one of the internet's most collectively experienced 'live sound' forums would choose a switchmode amp (QSC PowerLight) as their amp of choice to compare today's 'hot rod touring grade' subs.

Personally, I use an affordable lead sled (RMX1850HD) to power subs with. I need the exercise anyway.
;):)

When Clare Bros. started dumping Crown MA's for PowerLights we fallowed and never looked back. We curently own 40+ QSC PowerLight 6.0, 4.0, 1.8, 1.6hvx, 1.4 they are the only way to fly IMO. We have ran them all. Crown MA, CA, MT, Carver, Mackie, E&W, Crest, Yamaha. The QSC's are the only amps we have used that will run all day in 110+ air temp at a 2ohm load and not melt down. QSC's cooling system is beyound great... We have never had an act complane about PL amps... ever!

PowerLight amps and EAW KF650's are some of the best choises we have made... They are more money and dam well worth it. When you consider the cost of transportation alone the PL's realey make sence. :rolleyes:

• Members

Rather than it being an arrogent term, it in facts reflects the liability and responsibility for the safety (#1) and the positive experience (#2) that the audience and staff expect.

Yeah!

I've found that in certain situations, especially those with safety concerns, I'll start taking a hard line on whatever safety issues come up. Especially at big shows, where there is rigging and staging.

Enough times I've worked with students/newbies that I habitually keep an eye out for safety around those folks. And don't get me started on dancers running around backstage, in the dark, with trip hazards. :(

• Members

The added issue as far as safety incidents is that you still have to live with yourself and your decisions long after the problem is over. It's not just a legal issue but a moral one too.

How would you feel if somebody got severely injured or killed on a show that you were responsible for?

• Members

The added issue as far as safety incidents is that you still have to live with yourself and your decisions long after the problem is over. It's not just a legal issue but a moral one too.

Well, obviously yes. I don't anybody here saying that it's only a legal issue.

• Members

Except the RI club owners lawyer...
:mad:

And the band's lawyer...
:mad:

Sorry, should have said "anybody here"... :(

What is it about bar owners? You could make Stephen Hawking a bar owner, and his IQ would drop 100 points in about 2 weeks.

• Members

Hey... it's a good day here. Both my browser and e-mail is working (for the time being)... mark the calender!!!

If memory serves me correctly, the E&W amplifiers you demo-ed in 1999 or 2000 were one ea. of the EL-1400 and one ea. of the ES-1500 model. Both of which are designed as 4 ohm stereo capacity amplifiers. Although either amp will tolerate 2 ohm stereo operation, they're not designed for that operation. It's understandable that both amps could exhibit thermal issues if ran hard into 2 ohm loads, especially in 110+ deg ambient temperatures.

The EL series amp is an H class with linear power supply, which I believe is a different critter than the PL series QSC. The ES series is an H class with switchmode power supply, which I believe is somewhat similar to the design of the PL series QSC amplifier. Neither of these models of amps are currently produced and imported to the US.

Currently E&W is producing the HS series amplifier, which is designed as a 2 ohm stereo stable amplifier. I believe you would find the HS series amplifier would compare favorably with the QSC PL series (particularly from a cost v.s. performance standpoint); however, I also believe there are magic combinations of amps and cabinets, and I believe the combination of QSC PL series and EAW KF series cabinets is one of those magic combinations.

Hi Mark;
We currently own 4 of your ES2000 (got them from you in 6/2003 in a pinch) amps they are a good amp for the money. To compare them (ES series) to QSC PL series would not be very fair to you... sorry. The ES amps are way less money and do perform well in there price point.(IMO) I would not expect them to do what the PL stuff will nor would I expect to pay as much for them.

Maybe you better send me some HS series amps sounds like they may have the right stuff to pass "Ford's 110+ 2ohm mex-fest test" :)

• Members

Audio Cable Maintenance

The tips below can be applied to many types of cables - instrument, microphone, speaker, patch, ..etc.

Keep the connectors clean. The contact points of your cables should be cleaned to reduce corrosion. Tools and supplies needed: A clean cotton cloth, q-tips and rubbing alchohol. A small amount of alchohol is needed to help keep the contact points of the connectors clean. Alchohol evaporates quickly and will not harm the connectors.

Cables will get stepped on . There is no way to prevent this from happening. You can help prolong the life of the cables by making sure that the "kinks" and knots are removed from your cables. As "kinks" and knots are stepped on, the cable can be crimped and damaged.

Also, try to keep audio cables and power cords separate. Continuois over-lapping of power cords and audio cables can cause interference with your audio signal.

Whether you are inside or outside, the cables will get dirty. Grass, dirt, dust, food...etc will get on the cables. When you are finished with a gig, take the time to wipe off the cables before wrapping and storing. Keeping a roll of papertowels or baby wipes to keep your cables clean.

There are many methods used for wrapping or coiling cables for storage. On of the most effectives methods, especially for long cables, is the over-under technique. Over-under technique is the process of coiling the cable, by alternating each wrap. It is all in the wrist! The first wrap is normal. Then during the second wrap, twist the cable keeping the same size coil. The Over-under technique is much eisier to explain in person.

Below is a video demonstration:
Stagecraft Over/UnderCable Wrapping Techniques
http://stagecraft.theprices.net/gallery/cablewrap/

• Members

....Then, the evening right after the season's closed... "poof" they're back... eating the porch plants, kicking over the cat's food dish, frolicking in the yard till they beat it into a mud bog.

:D :D

• 1 month later...

Archived