What are your "secrets" tricks/tips for live sound.

• Members

I am not a pro soundman by any means, but I have done a decent amount of shows (50 last year). I mainly deal with small-medium sized venues, from very amateur bands to very experienced... and I have only done maybe five or six actual soundchecks ever.

tips that make life worthwhile

-> talk with the band before and after the set. Introduce yourself. compliment them. Give them your card. Everyone knows me and they trust me. Also if something goes wrong, they will be more forgiving. I've made many friends.
-> if something needs to be louder, turn everything else -down- first.
-> make sure to tell each band to keep their amps low.
-> you can tell when you have first time or new bands. They will always ask about "do you have reverb unit for the vocals?" or will ask questions about the sound, etc. Be nice and answer their questions
-> experienced bands don't ask those questions and don't pester you, and have dealt with very bad pa's before. They are always happy to get good sound and let you know it.
-> Spare mics and cables.
-> stand on a chair to get very good view of the band. Easier to mix if you see exactly what's going on
-> carry backups. A spare power amp is KEY. also, screw driver, bits, duct tape, knife (splicing wire if no connectors handy), etc.
-> assisstants work wonders. Treat her amazing. It always has to be a her. They always pull their weight in cleanup/set up and you feel like a king by having her there.
-> mix the set -> if a solo comes up, turn it up, etc. Stay at the board and change if necessary. The band will appreciate.
-> have good music. When kids are dancing even when the band is not playing, then it is a good show. Bands like playing to an audience that is hyped up.

Also, I have had 14 year olds sound better live than 23 year olds because they listened to me and kept their levels low and trusted me. TRUST YOUR SOUNDMAN.

my two cents...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Scodiddly

What is it about bar owners? You could make Stephen Hawking a bar owner, and his IQ would drop 100 points in about 2 weeks.

At last, an uncontroversial point we can agree on without argument!

On the subject of trusting your soundman - my default position is trusting those who are in a position of helping me - hired/paid or volunteer, doesn't matter. My trust is theirs to lose.

I've worked with some dunderheads, though. Estabilshing yourself at the outset as a non-dunderhead sounds like a winning strategy. Being on the band side - I'd listen to you.

-A

Archived