Is there a good cheap powered sub?

• Members

I would like to add a powered sub to my small PA sort of as an experiment. I currently have two JBL Eon 15's (the older ones) and a little Mackie DFX6. I'm a one man acoustic act. I thought it would be fun to try a sub but didn't want to spend a ton.

What is a bang for the buck sub? Cheaper the better.

• Members
Originally posted by boboji

I would like to add a powered sub to my small PA sort of as an experiment. I currently have two JBL Eon 15's (the older ones) and a little Mackie DFX6. I'm a one man acoustic act. I thought it would be fun to try a sub but didn't want to spend a ton.

What is a bang for the buck sub? Cheaper the better.

I can't see you really needing one. Unless you are detuning your acoustic,the lowest frequency you are reproducing is about 82hz. About the area where most subs start crossing over to the mid/high cabs. However,to answer your question,Samson makes a single 15" model that is only about $375-400 if you shop around.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

I can't see you really needing one. Unless you are detuning your acoustic,the lowest frequency you are reproducing is about 82hz. About the area where most subs start crossing over to the mid/high cabs. However,to answer your question,Samson makes a single 15" model that is only about $375-400 if you shop around.

The Samson EX500 Active Sub

So far is the cheapest price I have found

http://www.djtronix.com/samsonex500.html

• Members

Yorkville makes a small powered sub in their highly regarded elite line: the LS200P. It's only 200 watts compared to the Samson model but what you realy need to look at is efficiency and ultimately Max SPL. The efficiency of the Samson box is 94db 1w/1m. They don't quote the max SPL, but with a little math we can figure the following SPL's (at one meter) at the corresponding power (wattage) levels:

1w=94

10w=104

100w=114

500w=Approximately 119db.

The Yorkville LS200P claims 125db max spl: 6db louder than the Samson model. I've always been told that 10db is a percieved doubling...I've heard other say it's 6db. In any event, the Yorkville should be consideralby louder.

They are roughly the same price but the Yorkville elites have a 2 year no fault warrentee; they'll fix it if it's broke.

The Samson claims freq response to 30hz (-3). This is highly suspect but never the less considerably lower than the Yorkville model that will only go down to 50hz. Whether the Samson will go to 30hz or not, I'm sure it will go lower than the Yorkville given it's 15" speaker vs. a 10" speaker. This is the only real plus I see for the Samson.

If you're interested in info on the Yorkie sub(s) check with Dan at Audioeast (a fellow forumite www.audioeast.com/subs.htm). I have no problem with the Samson...just wanted to give you some points for comparison.

Frank

• Members

I agree - if you're just screwin' around, buy used. If you no like you can sell and break even or even come out ahead. I've done this 3-4 times on ebay.

That said, often times shipping subs isn't worth it. Because of this, subs don't hold value very well. Look locally. Try and find a website catering to the local music scene (or the nearest metropolitian area). - There's a guy local to me selling a gently used pair of Yorkville Elite SW800's (like the 808's) for $550!

Also, since your only looking for one, you should be able to get an even better deal used. For some reason I see all kinds of single subs on ebay. Didn't realize that many people buy only 1 sub.

Archived