horn driver problems

• Members

I posted recently about needing to repair / replace the diaghraghm (sp?) in a compression driver I own. I have not done anything about this yet.

I have however managed to pick up a pair of old altec lansing drivers that are 8ohms (same as the pair I have) and fit my horn - the problem being that they are something like twice the physical size of the drivers I have. (ps - the price was right - nothing)

The picture will illustrate my problems.

1: How the hell do I get it inside and bolted onto the horn? is it possible?

2: Will I need some sort of additional internal bracing to keep it from cracking the wood around the screws?

3: Is their any reason other than these why this horn won't work as a replacement?

• Members

Originally posted by Audiopile

If you have good, stout cast metal hornflairs,

Yep :D

Originally posted by Audiopile

chances are you don't need no stinking CD back support as long as you use grade 8 machine screws and tee-nut the hornflair in. I suggest you use Allen head machine screws to mount the compression driver to the hornflair since that's "easier" to deal with than Phillips head screws or hex bolts if you're mounting the compression driver on the hornflair "inside the box".

I have nuts and fixed bolts for the driver to flair connection - if I can't manage with that then I'll try something else...

What does tee-nut mean, and grade 8 machine screws? I'm definately not up with the lingo.

• Members

What model Altec driver is that? I can't tell from the photo. How many mounting bolts on the driver (2, 3 or 4). It's not a 291 is it??? You will need to verify that it has the same exit throat diameter as your horn. Also, is there enough cabinet depth since the driver looks a lot deper?

If it's what I think it is, you will definately need to support it.

Also, be careful, since the replacement diaphram for the new driver may be really expensive.

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

What model Altec driver is that? I can't tell from the photo. How many mounting bolts on the driver (2, 3 or 4). It's not a 291 is it??? You will need to verify that it has the same exit throat diameter as your horn. Also, is there enough cabinet depth since the driver looks a lot deper?

If it's what I think it is, you will definately need to support it.

Also, be careful, since the replacement diaphram for the new driver may be really expensive.

It isn't too deep, 3 mounting bolts (same as what I had) same throat diameter

291-16K, 8ohm.

Is that good?

Archived