why do some cabinets have a horn and a tweeter?

• Members

what does this do? they are both designed for HF reproduction. are the tweeters there to fill out the top end where the horn can't go?

i came across a horn box on http://www.dancetech.com and i want to build it for my electric bass rig, but i don't know the function of having both drivers. i've found this in other cabs too. just curious.

thanks

• Members
Originally posted by tlbonehead

Yep,the usual reason is if the horn/driver roll off too low,the tweeter carries out the upper highs.

thanks! i also read that bullet tweeters tend to have a long throw but not much in the way of horizontal dispersion, which is where the horn comes in. is this also true?

• Members
Originally posted by bikehorn

thanks! i also read that bullet tweeters tend to have a long throw but not much in the way of horizontal dispersion, which is where the horn comes in. is this also true?

Yep,they are pretty narrow coverage angle,usually about 45 degrees each way. If you want a wide coverage in a similar size,look at the slot tweeters. They are usually 90-120 x 45 degrees,or so.

• Members

i've been considering the CTS KSN1005. it seems so cheap and yet in these late 70's Traynor YSC-10s we have at our school, they don't sound bad at all. no excessiv hiss or harshness. i like those YSC-10s a lot, huge beat up old front-loaded horns as they are. it would appear these are an old standby.270-010m.jpg

• Members

i've been considering the CTS KSN1005. it seems so cheap and yet in these late 70's Traynor YSC-10s we have at our school, they don't sound bad at all. no excessiv hiss or harshness. i like those YSC-10s a lot, huge beat up old front-loaded horns as they are. it would appear these are an old standby.
270-010m.jpg

Yikes! The original piezo. Check out their efficiency rating,probably about 93db. A decent tweeter for live sound should easily be 100db +. And should sound halfway decent.

• Members

Yikes! The original piezo. Check out their efficiency rating,probably about 93db. A decent tweeter for live sound should easily be 100db +. And should sound halfway decent.

i guess it's just the cheapass in me...yeah, it's only about 94 dB SPL. i guess i'll spend the cash on a good tweeter. are these things the "hondo guitars" of tweeters?

• Members

270-055m.jpg

this thing seems a little better, has a sensitivity of 100 dB, which i guess is still not the highest for a tweeter. but i'm a little suspicious of it at $11.80.

what tweeter do you recommend for this sort of application? i don't want to spend too much, preferably around $30 or so. thanks man, i appreciate it.

• Members

270-055m.jpg

this thing seems a little better, has a sensitivity of 100 dB, which i guess is still not the highest for a tweeter. but i'm a little suspicious of it at $11.80.

what tweeter do you recommend for this sort of application? i don't want to spend too much, preferably around $30 or so. thanks man, i appreciate it.

Ok,what frequencies does it have to carry? Is there also a horn/driver? If so,what model and what frequency response or crossover frequency.

• Members

Ok,what frequencies does it have to carry? Is there also a horn/driver? If so,what model and what frequency response or crossover frequency.

i think it would be 4000 Hz +. there would be a horn/driver. i'm thinking of an Eminence PSD2002. since the horn specs say its range starts at 1500 Hz, i think i'd like to start the horn there.

• Members

i think it would be 4000 Hz +. there would be a horn/driver. i'm thinking of an Eminence PSD2002. since the horn specs say its range starts at 1500 Hz, i think i'd like to start the horn there.

In that case,don't even bother with a tweeter. That driver will hang in there up to at least 15-16K

• Members

In that case,don't even bother with a tweeter. That driver will hang in there up to at least 15-16K

oh man, that's totally awesome. now i don't need any fancy wiring to get the tweeter and horn to add up to 8 ohms either. it's not even a particularly expensive driver.

Archived