peavey PR12 series speaker

• Members

Has anyone listened to these? I am wanting a set to use with our double 15 mains and 18" subs. I read alot on the site that the 12's really bring out the vocals better than the 15's. I was looking at these or the yamaha iv.

• Members
Originally posted by troyri

Has anyone listened to these? I am wanting a set to use with our double 15 mains and 18" subs. I read alot on the site that the 12's really bring out the vocals better than the 15's. I was looking at these or the yamaha iv.

I certainly wouldn't just run them in parallel with your current cabs. That would probably end up sounding kind of funky. What do you have currently for mid/high cabs?

• Members

We currently run JBL SF25's for the mains. I know these aren't great speakers but that is what we have. We have the same problems as everyone else with these speakers being somewhat muddy. But buying new mains is out of the question right now. We are looking for something inexpensive to add to the JBL's that will put out clearer vocals.

• Members

We currently run JBL SF25's for the mains. I know these aren't great speakers but that is what we have. We have the same problems as everyone else with these speakers being somewhat muddy. But buying new mains is out of the question right now. We are looking for something inexpensive to add to the JBL's that will put out clearer vocals.

You can't clean them up any by EQ'ing the mud out? That's the problem with most lower end dual 15" 2-way cabs. The horn driver is small and cheap and crossed over pretty high so it can handle the power that will be going to the cab,or it just can't keep up with the dual 15" woofers. And the 15"s couple a bit on the lower frequencies,so the "mud" is the most efficient frequency area. How have you EQ'ed to try and compensate a bit? What is your sub crossover frequency and how many bands of EQ do you have on the mains?

• Members

My drummer just got two Peavey PR115 which is the 15" version of the PR12 you are asking about. We love them!!!

They are so much clearer, cleaner, and louder than his old Peavey 12" speakers which I don't know what model they were. These new speakers are also much lighter (easier to lift and move)!!

We send kick drum, 5 vocals, acoustic guitar, and keyboards through these PR115s at once and they remain crystal clear and GREAT! I recommend them. I'm not sure on the PR112s but I'm guessing they are really good too.

• Members

We try to eq as flat as possible. The crossover is set at 100hz.

What do you mean "as flat as possible"? Do you mean keeping the actual sliders as flat as possible,or listening out front and putting the sliders wherever they need to be(within reason)in order to get an "out front" flat response. Hopefully,you mean the second one. If you mean the first,why even have an EQ? More than likely,if you aren't doing so currently,you probably need to cut some upper bass/very low mids out of the mix. That is where the mud usually happens. Somewhere in the 100-125hz range up to 400-500hz,and more so in the 125-300hz range. Hard to say without actually hearing it,but that is pretty normal in cases like this.

• Members

the 2nd one would be correct but I tend not to move anything more than 6db either way. Thanks for the info I will try to work on the frequencies you talked about to get the clarity where I like it. Also I am very new at running sound for our band so any hints or helpful tips would be appreciated.

Archived