Going Wireless?? (long)

• Members

Our band has been looking at investing in some wireless technology. I have done a fair bit of reading and searching on the subject - but there is a LOT to know. Perhaps some of you experts could help shed some light on my questions. We are in no hurry to make a decision, but want to know that we are spending our money wisely.

Background:

A weekend warrior band with 2 muso's and sequenced backing. Desk: Mackie 1604 with 2 monitor sends. I currently use two JBL EON's for foldback and tailor 2 separate mixes for me and the singer. Ideal situation would like to have...

Lead singer (some rhythm guitar)

* Wireless in-ear's (Shure PSM200 or 400)

* Wireless microphone (?), currently she sings through a wired Beta87A.

Lead guitarist (backup singing)

* Wireless guitar unit (?)

* Wireless in-ear's (Shure PSM200 or 400)

Questions;

1) Which inear system / components will allow me to generate two separate mixes?

2) Which wireless microphone (shure?) is best value for money but still good quality for a warrior band such as us? There are SO many options and they get expensive REAL quick.

3) Which wireless guitar pack is recommended for minimum signal loss?

4) How does all this wireless gear interact when used together (problems)?

5) Are there savings to be made on sharing transmitters / receivers? or are each of these separate applications?

6) Your personal opinions on the subject :D

So many questions ... If you need more information please ask me.

Thanks for any help

RUs

• Members

Hi Savage,

I'm not sure what your budget is, but I REALLY like the new AKG microtools mics. These allow you to hook up the transmitter to any microphone, so your singer can still sing with her B57A, with the convenience of wireless. The same series also makes a guitar bug.

"Which inear systems will allow me to generate 2 seperate mixes?"

Just use the 2 monitor sends off of your 1604. If you still want to use the EONs, you can split the signal or buy another small mixer to connect to a suboutput or direct outs (if you have them).

"Which wireless microphone is best for money and still good enough for a warrior band?"

The AKG MicroTools series. They sound great and I've had very few signal problems with them. Plus you have the versatility of being able to use any microphone you want with the snapon XLR transmitter.

"Which wireless guitar pack?"

AKG makes a guitar bug in the same series as the handhelds I mentioned above. Another plus with this particular GB is that there's no bodypack, the transmitter is connected to the guitar jack.

"How does all this wireless gear interact with each other?"

Don't worry about it, you won't have any problems. Because each mic is transmitted on its own resident frequency, there won't be any problems. And if you get the AKG there's the added security that all your gear was designed to work with each other.

"Are there savings to be made on seperate transmitters and receivers?"

No. Buy a package.

"Your personal opinions on the subject."

I generally dont' like to use wireless unless I really have to, but when I do I've been more satisfied with AKG than any other brand of wireless mics I use at work, mainly EV and some older Shures.

• Members

• Members

I have a Shure UL24/58 with a Beta 58a. It has never dropped out on me and I've never had any interfearence. It cost me $379. I'm very happy with it but when it comes to wireless gear.........you want to get the best microphone that you can possibly afford. Ask agedhorse. He can give you some good insight. He knows all about this stuff.

• Members

Yes, get the best you can afford when it comes to wireless.

1. The Shure ULX (and especially the ULX pro) are excellent performing units. I've had excellent results with both, though the pro has added RF metering which helps when touring. The B87A handheld element is available. There is a beltpack to guitar cable for the beltpack version. It is rather expensive, but you get what you pay for and Sure also has an excellent repair department with some very good techs.

2. I have also had excellent results with Audio Technica's 3000 and 4000 series. The 4000 series has internal power supply, the 3000 has a line lump (not wall wart). Since I usually install multiples with antenna DA's, the power supply issue in not a big deal since the DA includes power supplies for all receivers. I have had excellent results with the 3000 and it is my number 1 selling unit. I have yet received a bad one.

3. Get all units rack mounted so that the receivers are protected from mechanical damage from transport. You will need to consider antenna placement, but the UHF antennas are pretty small, and as long as you do not use ametal rack they can live right on the receivers.

4. The Shure PSM-200 units are an excellent product. Sugarfried, who is here on H.C. was involved with their development and can answer specifics better than I can.

Spend the mopney up front so that you don't have problems later. Keep your wired 87A for a back-up.

• Members

I don't have the performing experience as others here, but I've got 2 AKG WMS80's UHF wireless units (guitar & headset), and last week I got the Shure PSM200 IEM's. I've had the AKG's for a couple years and never had a problem with them, but the battery life is pretty short (6 hours or so for high capacity recharchable AA's). I understand the new WMS40 systems have better battery life. (Always use new batteries when it's important.)

I also added on all rack mounts and threw them in a box. There's an old Samson True Diversity in the rack that I have from the 80's (VHF) that actually still works and hasn't had a problem, but VHF is dangerous these days for interference. I keep it there since I have several transmitters for it, including one I built into a guitar years ago.

• Members

Does anybody make wireless speakers? I'm just curious (it's probably either something that a dozen companies do and I've never just never heard of it or that no one does for some very obvious reasons that I'm just not thinking of :rolleyes: ); it seems like another level of convenience for powered speaker users and therefore something with an intuitive advertising hook. "Not only do you not have to cart around power amps, you don't have to worry about running cable out to your speakers! Only $24.99 at Musician's Friend!"

• Members

Originally posted by cstime

"Not only do you not have to cart around power amps, you don't have to worry about running cable out to your speakers! Only $24.99 at Musician's Friend!"

So how many batteries do you need to sink into one of those to get over the drums!???! :D :D :D

• Members

Originally posted by Brad Harris

So how many batteries do you need to sink into one of those to get over the drums!???!
:D

:D Depends on if you get the tesla flux inversion trimoogelator pack. :eek:

Sorry to be unclear; I meant a wireless connection to the mixer (replacing an XLR cord with a wireless pack, just like the packs are designed to do for microphones) for powered speakers, not making powered speakers that don't have to be plugged in.

• Members

Originally posted by cstime

Depends on if you get the tesla flux inversion trimoogelator pack.
:eek:

Sorry to be unclear; I meant a wireless connection to the mixer (replacing an XLR cord with a wireless pack, just like the packs are designed to do for microphones) for powered speakers, not making powered speakers that don't have to be plugged in.

Its been brought up before, basically a jerry-rigged wireless system. You could go with a regular beltpack transmitter (@ foh) to a reciever @ speakers, or a iem transmitter, to an iem reciever. I didn't go into it, but maybe you could go from the iem transmitter to wireless reciever, that way no batteries are used, and can monitor rf etc.

But it depends on if the 2 systems are compatible. I would think not, as disasterous results could happen if the systems aren't setup properly (new band in the lineup, 'hey we've got our own wireless h/h mic, can we use it??' and nothing but eardrum bleed will result through the iems if on the same freq + channel).

Or a xlr transmitter with a rigged up 6-9v wallwart epoxied in place could work also, just not as fancy looking (If you stick you head in the dog house)

Some ideas,

• Members

In the professional world, wireless line level links are possible, and are used where there is no practical way to run cable.

I have used high end UHF wireless with directional high gain antenna to send to remote speakers where water (like a lake) was in the way. A wireless receiver lives in the amp rack and we focus a directional antenna on the transmitter. We also choose a frequency band that is unlikely to be used by other users. Many of the high end wireless include frequencies that are not available on the more common units. That's a big advantage.

Archived