how well would this work?

• Members

I am a guitar player that believes he doesn't need to be louder than everything in the bar. I have a 50 watt tube head and I am tired of lugging around a 4 x 12. I have 2 old monitors one with a 12" and one with a 15". I was thinking about taking the top off of one of these and taking out the horn just using the 12" or 15". My question is would this sound alright, and would it work OK for the soundman? The other question is which one to use a 12" or 15"?

• Members
Originally posted by troyri

I am a guitar player that believes he doesn't need to be louder than everything in the bar. I have a 50 watt tube head and I am tired of lugging around a 4 x 12. I have 2 old monitors one with a 12" and one with a 15". I was thinking about taking the top off of one of these and taking out the horn just using the 12" or 15". My question is would this sound alright, and would it work OK for the soundman? The other question is which one to use a 12" or 15"?

It might work ok. You could try them both and see. And yes,definitely disable the horn and also bypass the crossover. You might find the sound a little dull. The cab has a SR speaker in it,which is pretty flat frequency response,as opposed to being "guitar voiced". One way to find out.

• Members

I myself got tired of lugging a half stack into small clubs,a Marshall JCM 800 through a Gallien-Krueger 4x12.My solution was a Rivera 55-12 combo amp.I swear it sounds just like the JCM 800 and more because it does the clean stuff better.

Archived