Studio-quality 24-channel board for recording, suggestions?

• Members

This is a copy of my post place in the Recording forum, as I find you here much more responsive...

I have a Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro that I like alot. I know so many of you say that once I move further up the chain, I will never look back... fine and good! The Mackie is in my live sound rack and will probably stay there for a while.

MEANWHILE, back at home, I want to buy a dedicated studio board that will not travel, and with which I can make wonderful recordings. Talent notwithstanding... I want to buy used, and in the $2K-$3K range, in all likelihood. Maybe more, definately not less, but this is a realistic number. Since I am not that familiar with all the options, I am thinking fairly maistream and considering the Soundcraft Ghost. I am buying an Alesis HD24 for my actual recorder (was going to get an interface but I am pretty set on this unit now based on feedback) so having the option to both record and monitor on the same channels is a must (isn't it?).

Would any of you in the know like to suggest a specific board, and make a case for said board? I really want to just do this once, at least for the foreseeable future, and don't have enough knowledge to choose, other than mainstream values.

Thanks in advance for your multiple and varied opinions!

• Members

Personally as a guy who still uses ADAT's, buy a good computer (Intel P4, asus motherboard, 1gig ram atleast) with a Motu 24 I/O box. Start there, then add a Mackie 24.8 or even a 32.4 maybe (24.8 is better for the inline monitor setup, MUCH better for playback of large numbers of trax). I'd consider the Allen & Heath GL2200-24, most of your mixing will be ultimately done in the computer and playback really only requires a few channels. Then buy some Good outboard pres, Focusrite, UA, whatever. Just a few channels go a long way.

The alesis HD24 is cool, but still editing once it's on that media it might as well be tape. For nonlinear editing go with a straght up computer. There's no comparison. I use Vegas Video 3.0 (old I know but software doesn't age, computers do), some use protools (then you HAVE touse protools stuff, screw that!), some use Logic, some use blah blah you get the idea.

pete

• Members

Pete, I know I will still need a computer for mastering/editing, but to a person everyone that has had both dedicated DAW setups AND the Alesis say the platform is much more stable on the Alesis, simply as a recording medium.

It would obviously be less expensive to build a dedicated PC and buy an interface (around $1,500.00 for both before production software; I assume the interfaces come with some slimmed-down versions of Cubase or something similar?). I just want to do this right the first time. I am not deadset against a dedicated PC.

Going with a Mackie board would only give me more channels, not greater sound quality. I definately want to step up from the Mackie (which I already have) to a board with "really" nice mic preamps, line/recording.

I live in Vancouver WA; we are not too far from one another!

~Tim

• Members

I had a Mackie 24-8 that I bought new in 1993 with an ADAT for my home studio. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it has better pre's and a cleaner sound than the VLZ Pro. The Mackie was a great board, but since it's only me recording and I'm not recording bands nor anything beside myself, I decided it was overkill for my applications. Of course I formed a band 2 weeks after I sold it and it could have come in handy...

• Members

I actually like the mackie pre's for recording. When I can I'll use outboard pres but that's rare, I'm a live sound guy. If I have an extra G to kick around (never) it goes into PA. If you need inputs at the recording stage that's where the 24.8 is handy. Plus it's a perfect fit for the HD24.

Like I said, use Vegas Video (ver 5 now). Excellent program, very stable and easy to learn. I'm using a P3 733mhz with a MSI motherboard using the Sony Via chipset (I know I know, I had an ASUS motherboard and it fried from power problems, I needed something right now).

I use an Echo Gina (old skool 20bit, unbalanced I/O's) and an Event EZ8 ADAT Lightpipe card. I use the EZ8 to transfer ADAT material into my machine. When my blackface ADAT's die, I'll use them for AD DA converters and that's it. It may be soon enough though one has 4158 hours on it. The other has 1344.

I'm telling you straight up, ADAT's (or the hard disk cousins) are really really really a PITA to edit with. I use mine to capture large amounts of trax and import them into my computer. Often I don't record anywhere near my computer, thus the adats. As someone who ones them... DON'T BUY AN ADAT BASED SYSTEM!

For remote multitrack recording they excel, everything else crap.

pete

• Members

I recently bought an older blackface ADAT just so I would have some multitrack capability. This won't necessarily factor into my selection.

The new VLZ Pro pre's are substantially better than the older 24.8's. They are great pre's, but they are still only near the top of the "economy" mixer lines.

For my "home studio", I really want to buy a board that has substantially better pre's, more usable EQ, and higher quality components/construction for long lifespan. I love the Mackie, but the fact is that there are much better boards out there (based on the "experts" opinions, and gear used in "better" studios).

• 1 month later...
  • Members

You guiys might be surprised to discover how similar most of the mic pre's in today's consoles really are. There's so much more that makes one console better than another... and much of it's not the sound of the mic pres. ;)

Also, what about the music, doesn't anyone listen to music anymore? I prefer the sound of music to the sound of a mic pre personally.

• Members

I own a 24X8 and an HD24. I use the board for mixing primarily and use outboard mic pre's for most of the tracks. I believe that the onboard mic pre's are excellent for the price but once you get serious about recording, you will be looking at high end mic pre's.

Your recording will only be as good as your weakest component.

BTW... the HD24 is a wonderful recording tool. I also have a Masterlink. They both work flawlessly.

• Members

Well I have a few thoughts.

First off, okay lets talk about the alesis, .. you record to to the harddisk and then plan on dumping to computer for editing and all that??? or just leaveing it in the alesis?.

I THINK that you can transfer teh data over eathernet. However, if I remeber right, it is slow as hell, and most guys where dumping though a light pipe like the RME digi face (by the way ifyour looking for a sound card, RME all the way , can't be beat, in any respect - well maybe apogee or lucid).

So if you are going to use an external recorder, are you sure that the alesis is teh one you want?

now on to the mixer. Ask yourself, if you maybe want to go digital. I don't know about the cost off hand, but Iam sure some used digital consols could be had in your price range, .. and then you can go ditital in to your HD recorder.

Okay lets say you buy in to that, ... then ask your self ifyou want an intergrated system like teh yamaha AW whatevers.

maybe you have already desided you want to use an analog board. - haw many thinks are you recording at 1 time. I would consider that ifyou ofter do 1 or 2 things, .. like voacl tracks. Drop some cash in to a "gold channel".

lasty about the mixer. Never been a big fan of the mackie, .. but the 32-8 are better then the VLZ IMO. I thy ink the ghost is better then both. maybe a used tac scorpion?

• Members

I THINK that you can transfer teh data over eathernet. However, if I remeber right, it is slow as hell, and most guys where dumping though a light pipe like the RME digi face

I think most folks are just like me and use the Alesis Fireport/Firewire accessory which is extremely fast. I happen to also have Sonar Xl... just upgraded to V3. You can import tracks to this easily. The digital stuff is nice but really, I'm a hands on fader type. If I were buying a new board, I would probably get a Ghost with automation or even a used Mackie D8B. Still, you can get a clean used 24x8 cheap.

Archived