Compressors/Limiters/Gate AGAIN!

• Members

In the neverending build of my PA, I am looking to add C/L/G for the drums and bass guitar. How do you hook into these when using a snake. Do you have a smaller sub snake (?) I wouldn't think inserting would work. Do you run all the drums (4 toms, sn,bass) through C/L/G or just the bass? Been looking at the DBX 166, 266, 1066. Any comments there. Classic rock music w/ some bass dance tunes, (2) sp4 800w, (2) sp118 1200w.

Is there a power conditioner that is rated for more than 15A for the amp rack?

Thanks,

Keith

• Members

Is there any alternetive besides a distro for a 2800 watt amp rack? Most (ok, ALL) bars we play at we obviously don't use that to capacity, but we've got an outdoor coming up and I'm sure they'll get pushed prety hard. I checked the venue and the S.G. tapped into the panel. I asked if he PLUGGED IN, he said no. I won't go any further than plugging a distro in. I have a feeling I know the answer, but as a newbie I gotta ask. Do most of you use a distro? Homemade or bought? (Father in law is an electrician) if so how many of your venues have a plug in ie. dryer plug?

Keith

• Members

I'd say that 90% of the places I go have a 50A plug for stage power. The other 10% just have regular wall outlets.

I ordered a little distro from Amp Shop. It ran me a couple hundred, and should be fine for almost everywhere we go.

I'd say that about 1/3 of the places we go that have a 50A plug also have their own distro that they'll let me use for free. The other 2/3 just say that the band usually brings that.

Of the distros I've seen around here, they've all been regular breaker boxes with outlets on them, either on a rolling base or just on a piece of plywood. They look a little less than professional, to say the least, but they definitely get the job done. I just doubt that they're significantly cheaper than having one made for you by Amp Shop.

I was at a small outdoor festival a week ago, and the sound provider was a local music store that does that kind of thing all the time. They had 6 older Peavey mains, and 6 2x18" home-made subs that looked very home-made, all run from a Mackie SR-24 dead center 30' in front of the stage. All this was run from an ugly-ass breaker box/plywood distro, with about 50 orange and green 16ga extension cords running to everything except the amp racks. It got them by, but I was a little less than impressed.

I'm sure you can make a distro that will suit you, just make sure you plan how you want it to look when you're done, and have a good system for transporting it. And make sure you do it right.

The club I was at on Saturday had a homemade one that was in one of those carpeted DJ turntable cases with wheels on one side. That's the only one of them that I've seen that looked like one could move it easily, but it was still a lot bigger than it needed to be.

You could probably get by running your rack off of a 20A circuit, but to be safe I'd suggest getting a distro for everything. It will make your stage a lot cleaner and safer.

Depending on what type of thing this outdoor gig is, I'd say that a 50A service should be provided for you. In most cases, you shouldn't be expected to do you own tie-in to a panel. All you should have to do is show up and plug your distro in to the plug. Or a distro shoudl be provided. If the tie-in is your responsibility, make sure you have an electrician do it, so you don't fry yourself. Most of the outdoor places I've seen that do this type of thing a lot have a 50A plug coming right out of the main panel, with a lockout. If this place doesn't have that, they should look at getting one.

• Members

Our downtown development group has two power distros, that they have had made for them, that are then mounted onto two two wheeled hand carts, (nice ones, with air tires)

these are nice.

I have ehlped out at a neighborhood festival for many years...

eventually we got to having food vendors come in with a variety of trailers and stuff...

they all want to plug their trailers in,which is just a different sort of thing...(the trailer is basically a pwer distro of sorts I guess...

most of them carry a dryer plug, with various adaptors that they have mode for when they need to sort of "hard wire" themselves into a box somewhere...

Archived