Paper or Plastic?

• Members

Well, actually - Wood or Plastic...

We've decided that MDF is no good and the baltic birch is better...

But what about those Polypropylene speakers? Good? Notso good?

I'm looking at two different peavey speakers, identical speaker components, the one is baltic birch the other is poly...

anyone have experience with the Poly?

• Members

There are different kinds of "poly". Cheap cabinets are basically plastic. These can crack. I have injection molded cabinets, a fancy, lightweight composite (Yorkville NX550P). Like the other NX series, they are pretty soft and wlll scratch and get dinged up a bit. That's the tradeoff for light weight and decent acoustics.

I'm guessing the Peavey's are a durable poly, but because of price range, I'm also guessing the material is pretty basic and not as good sonically as the wood version. I don't really know though and in practical application you may not be able to tell the difference anyway. It would be interesting to A/B the 2 and see if you could tell.

• Members

I'm seriously considering the poly ones because they are lighter and waterproof.

BTW, thanks again to all of you, can't believe how awesome you guys are! very helpful!!!

When I get this whole PA thing figured out I'll buy y'all a beer!!:D

• Members

I agree that the Yorkville NX series are prone to cosmetic damage. But on the other hand, the plastic on them is close to 1" thick, around 7/8" actually, so any damage that occurs is not going to affect the operation of the cab.

And personally, I'd rather have a somewhat flexible but strong cabinet than one that is hard and brittle. I think the Yorkvilles would survive far more physical abuse than say, a Mackie SRM450, which is probably the most direct comparison.

On the other hand, I've always thought that my NX520P's sounded a little "plastic-y" when you run them really hard. Now granted, I was probably using them in situations when a bigger speaker would have been better suited. EQ can take care of some of that, but not all. But that's just my opinion. But every other plastic speaker I've heard has sounded more plastic, if that makes sense. And they sound really good they're used at a reasonable level, it's only when they're cranked when I notice the plastic thing.

I've used NX520's as mains before, and I would feel comfortable doing it again. I'll probably have to do it again at some point. They sound good, and they're a hell of a lot lighter than my EF500P's.

And Baltic birch is getting towards the top. Of course it depends on the grade of the plywood used, but in general when a manufacturer says they use Baltic birch, that's a good thing.

Archived