Simple Mixer question-Yamaha MG10/2

• Members

I play kesy and guitar in a band and to run my keys into our PA I first run them into a little 10 channel mixer that I picked up and then run the signal stereo out to the PA. The setup works great however I have some concerns.

img_front.jpg

When I set up my keys I send the left and right signals of my Triton into channel 7 & 8, and the left and right of my Roland into ch 9&10.

My first question is : if I want to an a synth or synths to this setup in stereo where could I add them. Am I out of room? the first six channels are preamped leaving me with just four inputs that will run a clean signal.

Second... I notice that channels 8 and 10 of the 7/8 split and 9/10 split, send a noticeable weaker signal than channels 7 & 9. For instance I tried adding 3rd synth mono into channel 8 and the line signal was barely audible. The same with a Line 6 Pod Unit. Is there omething worng with this setup or am I just a dunce.

I suspect the latter

:D

• Members

Originally posted by wheresgrant3

My first question is : if I want to an a synth or synths to this setup in stereo where could I add them. Am I out of room? the first six channels are preamped leaving me with just four inputs that will run a clean signal.

Can you run keys into the inserts on 1 & 2, and that should bypass the pre's? I would think so, but I don't know that mixer.

• Members

i'm with Dan, the line inputs on 1-6 have a gain structure that accepts line-levels (similar to the stereo line inputs). or in a pinch, you could use the stereo aux return, but you won't have any balance/EQ on it.

as for the weaker signal bit - i suspect the L jack is a L/mono jack, and maybe plugging nothing into the L bypasses the channel or somesuch? dunno...

AS

• Members

I use an MG10/2 with my keyboards, and I've been tickled with it. I run a Yamaha S90 in channels 9/10, a Roland Fantom into channels 7/8, and either a Roland VK-8M or a Korg BX-3 into channels 5/6. The first 6 channels have a gain pot, so you shouldn't have any problem with matching the signal strength to the other stereo channels.

As for plugging in a mono synth, use channel 1, 2, 3, or 5 and pan the channel to center to ensure the same signal is going to the left and right output channels.

• Members

Originally posted by donniemac88

I use an MG10/2 with my keyboards, and I've been tickled with it. I run a Yamaha S90 in channels 9/10, a Roland Fantom into channels 7/8, and either a Roland VK-8M or a Korg BX-3 into channels 5/6. The first 6 channels have a gain pot, so you shouldn't have any problem with matching the signal strength to the other stereo channels.

As for plugging in a mono synth, I'd suggest using channel 1 or 2 and panning the channel to center to ensure the same signal is going to the left and right output channels.

Cool! This mixer was a great investment. Much better than a DI. I get a nice clean fat signal everytime.

Donnie, what are you using for stage volume? Amp, powered speakers... or just stage monitors?

• Members

Originally posted by wheresgrant3

Donnie, what are you using for stage volume? Amp, powered speakers... or just stage monitors?

I run the stereo outs from the MG 10/2 into a pair of Wharfedale EVP-12PM powered floor monitors and I run the C-R Outs to the main PA. The Wharfedales aren't as powerful or glamorous as some of the other powered speaker choices out there (see any thread by rintincop ;)), but I got a great deal on them on eBay. And they're small enough to tuck under my keyboard rig, which gives us more room onstage.

Archived