Interesting method of wiring speakers to amps...

• Members

There's bound to be a little differencem but there's two time constants for the power supply involved, the storage (charging) time constant and the discharge time constant. Add to this the non-linear source impedance of the transformer and rectifier and you are trading off several variables. I am surprised there's that much difference, but try it at 1kHz and see how much difference there is.

You are just doubling both time constants, but the interval (30Hz (or more correctly 60Hz since it's a full bridge load) discharge vs 60 (or more correctly 120) Hz charge time constant may cause a measurement problem at 30/60/120 Hz.

• Members

It's true ... it's really true ...

But it's no big deal. A .8 dB imporvement in power output vs the chance you'll screw up the phase of your outputs to the speakers. Going one gauge heavier on your speaker cables would probly provide about as much improvement (that is .. lack of loss).

I think the results would vary a lot depending on the power supply setup in the amp itself.

I get close to the same thing by using one amp to provide power to my mids and highs instead of one amp for mids and one amp for highs. There's less likelyhood of draining out the power supply and therefore more power available to the channel with the biggest demand (did you ever notice that most amps will put out more power if just one channel is driven than if two channels are?)

• Members

If an additional 14% of power is available, why aren't the amp makers already doing this internally?

It's just a simple matter of swapping the colors on the speaker terminals and reversing the input polarity, and the Bridge switch brings it back into proper polarity (because Ch2's output is already opposite).

But for some reason, they don't do that ...

Archived