Opinions Sonics

• Members
Originally posted by wheresgrant3

I've seen Sonic subwoofer cabinets at some incredibly low prices. What is the catch? My band is looking to replace the EV Eliminator cabnets with a speaker cab that throws alot more 'air'

subs-1.gif

Any opinions on
Sonic's Sub Cabinets?

I've used the DJX1800,which is pretty much a copy of the original E-V T18(before they started putting the woofer in it backwards) I had two pairs of them along with two pair of the E-V's and there really wasn't any noticeable difference. About 1 1/2 years ago,I switched over to the 18e,which I really like. Definitely a step up. And very well constructed cabs.

• Members

The prices are incredible. I'm sure there might be a small difference in quality between EV's and Sonic subs but to have as much as a $300-$500 difference in price doesn't make much sense.

I definately encouraged by what you wrote and I will try to check them out.

• Members

Originally posted by wheresgrant3

......... I'm sure there might be a small difference in quality between EV's and Sonic subs but to have as much as a $300-$500 difference in price doesn't make much sense.

Why are you sure that there might be "a small difference in quality..."?

A sub is just a wood box with a driver in it. There are different designs, and there are differences in wood and construction, but the major difference in sub performance (between "similar" boxes) is in the driver. A Sonic box is usually a time-tested (and sometimes a "borrowed") design. Their construction and materials are OK. Select the BEST driver they offer (they used to use RCF, but not sure about now). They are a smaller company with limited distribution and speakers are all they make.

EV's Pro Audio gear is very good. The Electro Voice MI lines are.....well, MI grade and quality.

Even just a better 18" driver installed in that Eliminator Sub will make quite a noticeable difference.

Archived